New Carpet Yay!

Here in Hawaii, bamboo can be a bad choice…, my neighbors installed it in their guest suite and within a year or so the bugs had devoured it. Some materials are just not a good fit for the tropics, even though bamboo is a tropical plant.

2 Likes

There are outdoor carpets that can work in a kitchen. I have a Chiliwich mat in front of my sink and I hose it down once a week. AND, I am always dropping things that can break so it serves as a bouncy place lol.

2 Likes

I agree.I put it in the airbnb room; bought on sale at costco, its been great.You MUST remove all hair in the room and you cant see hair very well on a carpet. I can keep the laminate floor very clean easily. I never put carpet in my rentals either;tenants will ruin them.I would never have carpet.I have no carpet in my own house, only tile and wood floors.Carpet is disgusting and hides bacteria, dirt, flea eggs etc.Especially for rentals.When you rip it up you will see all the stains on the back of the carpet and you will be amazed at how dirt will work its way through the layer of foam under the carpet. I dont even have 1 throw rug in my house. Only a piece of thin carpet doormat I bought for 2 in front of the entry door;when it gets dirty I throw it out and replace. I really like the new tile woods coming out,they are pricey but really stunning.

1 Like

Wow some of you are proper germaphobes. Haha

Carpet isn’t bad. You won’t get ill from it. :stuck_out_tongue: Regular vacuuming will keep it clean enough. You need some germs in your life anyway.

4 Likes

industrial carpet is already in my rental. Not pretty but gets the job done. It stays for now.

I had wall to wall carpet in the private apartment. Between the snow, people and everything else it looked horrible. I replaced it with laminate floors.

I’m not crazy about laminate for rental but at that time they didn’t have the tiles that look like wood, which is what I would do now.

OLD CARPET

LAMINATE FLOORS (3 Years old)

1 Like

Looks sleeker. Guess you got rid of ol’ Daisy.

2 Likes

Did you also paint the radiator, or that a lighting illusion?

Yes, we painted the radiator.

Got it booked in for 17-19th October. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@konacoconutz, your kitchen is cute and the area rug is nice!

One thing I would mention is that I think you could redo the grout on those gray tiles. If you picked a grout color that’s lighter and closer to the color of the tiles it would change the whole look. And if the grout is sealed properly, it doesn’t stain easily and will look nice for years. Just a thought!

3 Likes

I require guests remove shoes a life long habit in all my homes for hygiene and cleanliness

Never an issue with my guests in my home plus I provides basket of clean footsies

1 Like

I need help here. I guess my lounge is really comfortable and there is Netflix, so many guests seem to eat in my lounge (I discover food residues on sofa almost every time). So the carpet has many dark spots on it (more than 10), near the sofa and armchair.

It’s getting worse and worse each time (I’m only half year into hosting). I planned to use professional carpet cleaner every year, but now it seems dirty already in half year time (in my standard). No guests complained or mentioned it at all. I wonder what other hosts usually do when they have beige carpets at home? Is once a year steam cleaning not enough? Thanks for your input.

We steamclean our carpets every 6 months.
But because of Murphy’s Law, it will not last longer than the first guest.

So my advice would be to get rid of the carpet floor in your rental as soon as possible.

Now year by year we are renovating the apartments and replacing the carpets.
We are still testing the different floor options.

We have:

1. Laminate: This was some obsolete stuff we got cheap from the local store.Not really happy about it. It’s cold and noisy. And wears quickly.

2. Vinyl Laminate: Not cheap but much better than normal laminate. More robust, a bit warmer and less noise.

3. Cork: Our guests absolute favorite. It is warm all year round, you can walk barefoot in the middle of winter without getting cold feet. No noise and easy to clean. Downside: It is expensive and needs good care and maintenance.

We are still looking into getting a fully glued vinyl floor. But the problem that the surface has to be very smooth for that. And with the glued carpet we currently have it is very hard to get it smooth again.

2 Likes

We have beige carpets also. We own a Bissell steam cleaning machine and use it to go over the traffic areas every 4 to 6 weeks. More often if needed. In the meantime I spot clean stains with Lysol Hydrogen Peroxide spray and a rag.

I’d be spot cleaning or getting my own small steam cleaner. Perhaps you can put a smaller throw rug over the carpet in the places that get the stains and toss it when it gets too nasty.

3 Likes

I cannot say enough about this cleaner. I had guests spill a giant cup of coffee on my grey carpet and literally nothing NOTHING got the stain out… except…

This awesome stuff, available at Kmart!!! I can’t say enough about it!!!

You can also use it in your steam cleaner. I also use it for pet stains. Wonder what the heck is in it?

1 Like

Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I decide to buy a steam cleaner since it is not much more expensive than a one time professional clean.
@konacoconutz thanks for the tips on that solution. It is not very easy to buy it in Australia, but I heard Amazon is coming to Australia soon, I will definitely try it when it is available.

1 Like

Nice advices that may be implemented.

maybe a bit late to tell you this now. But if it’s still in good condition, can spray scotch stain guard to avoid future coffee stains on the carpet.