New Carpet Yay!

Ha ha ha, I also like carpet. I also have a feeling that carpet is going to be back “in” sooner rather than later. You do you Paul! I removed all the carpet in my main living areas to expose my hardwood but kept it in the bedrooms. I also hate the echo the house gets, nothing like living in a cave ;).

Eta: just don’t eat off the carpet floors.

4 Likes

I completely agree with @Barthelemy and @Maggieroni , as an ID professional as well. Good laminate not the CHEAP stuff you can get for $1, is very durable, especially for rentals. We have laminate in all our properties and everyone RAVEs about how it looks. Carpet kinda freaks me out, evens in hotels.

Agree. Never buy the cheap stuff.

Speaking of carpet and cheap stuff…when I bought my current carpet in 1999 (Don’t judge, I’m saving up to replace it) I got the best there was. I’ve had it so long it’s back in style…not kidding at all. Guests ask me all the time if it’s new. I have got to quit telling them it’s real age. Before that, I had 2 wall to wall carpets in 9 years.

3 Likes

Paul is totally right to have carpet in the UK. It’s warm, cosy and insulating. It feels wonderful on the feet. Plus, it can look terrific. Luxurious almost. And it’s relatively easy to clean.

Here in Florida I prefer hard flooring for many reasons but in the UK, fitted carpet is perfect :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m kind of dreading getting rid of mine.

I recently got a partial kitchen remodel. Flooring and appliances were not in the budget. Only counters, sink and cabinets.

A trip to Ross and for $30 I got a nice area rug that partially covers those ugly grey kitchen tiles.

Works for now.

2 Likes

Shag? Berber? …

Frieze is what it’s called. About 2 years ago I noticed a dead ringer for it in Home Depot. Last night I was at a house warming party and the bedroomshave a very similar carpet appearance wise to what I have. And the builders grade tile is exactly the same as what I put in the entryway of my addition. Here’s a patch of it from a low traffic area

I couldn’t imagine that in our kitchen.

Lol!! It is back in style, I’m surprised it’s held up so well.

1 Like

Well beggars cannot be choosers. Not everyone’s taste is the same. It actually looks good with the combinations we chose. Which in our budget range were low. We had three choices of counter colors: Terrible, awful and OK. We had to choose OK. Until my ship comes in it will have to do.

Quite honestly, it’s comments like yours that make me not want to share. Ugh. And have me asking myself why DO I share?

1 Like

I must have low standards. Kona’s kitchen looks fine to me!

Of course, I have ancient pine floors that can not be refinished, butcher block counter tops that some might consider well-worn, and yet, we haven’t starved! Tonight that kitchen produced ciabatta breads, bruschetta toppings, grilled lamb chops and a lovely salad with a mustard vinaigrette. Kitchens are all about function. If you can make meals in it, it works.

It is funny. I have 1903 pantries. Worn floors. An original marble baking station. No upper cabinets. Pots hanging on the walls. And when my guests are “introduced” to the kitchen, they all gasp and say that is it wonderful. Of course, they aren’t cooking without enough horizontal surfaces, but it harkens to a time that they all think they want to be part of. It makes them happy.

Thank you for sharing Kona.

3 Likes

Nice splash of color!!! Love the cabinets!

1 Like

Thanks guys. My new kitchen was a LONG time coming… the previous one was unusable. This loan is HUD money to help repair homes for people in my income bracket. It feels like a LOT luxurious to me. I can’t believe how unkind some people are. If only he could have seen my kitchen BEFORE. Sigh. And I thought I was done with the personal slams here. I must have a target on my back or something.

1 Like

Who was it who said, "if you can’t say something nice to someone, don’t say anything at all?"
Oh yeah, that was ME, talking to my kindergarten class last week.

Enough said.

1 Like

And I thought that it was my mother who said that! Though, to be honest, she was much less nice in private. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I couldn’t imagine a carpet in the kitchen area where you had it. I personally don’t care but my wife would freak. If what I said upset you then you are right and shouldn’t share if you are that overly sensitive.

1 Like

That is not a bad look, if it covers the tile. And for $30 you can throw it out when it is dirty. Not everyone can afford hardwood. I put bamboo in my unit, but I splurged, and am still paying for it. I really like bamboo though, and would recommend it over laminate any day.

1 Like

It was the WAY you said it, I guess.
If this is how you meant it, then no offense taken.
I also had to convince my son that carpet in the kitchen was a good thing. It covers the tiles and that’s what I was after.

2 Likes