New Airbnb Feature? "Update Areas guests can use"

I was checking a listing today to make sure I had included something that a guest had asked me about and noticed that Airbnb is now asking me to “update areas guests can use” for our three airbnb properties. They are all entire house rentals so I’m confused why I have to provide these details but also confused as to what its actually asking for- for instance: Bedroom 1 you can turn on the button “Shared with others” (“Guests might share this space with me, other guests or someone else”)- yes the guest may share it with another guest in their party but there are no other random guests and we are never there when our guests are- this is checked by default for all our bedrooms which seems weird?
Can anyone shed any light on this new update?

I have 4 listing and this update made it appear that anyone renting the houses would be sharing with the WORLD. Took an hour to tidy up, but it would have been nice to be aware that ABB in their so called wisdom just did this and i found out via FACEBOOK!

Thanks for posting this… I too just found out about this and how important it was. I had made a wrong assumption when I saw this initially a few days ago!

No light to be shed I’m afraid. Probably simply one of their employment justification exercises.

I have no idea what it looks like from the guest’s information side but it does make you think about their cognitive functioning. And yes, it took about an hour to sift through and tidy up.

Twats!

Some of us fixed it a few weeks ago when it first came up.

I guess Airbnb finally decided they can’t fix it themselves and are now asking hosts to do it.

This is a response to problems with “entire place” listings on shared properties.

The checkbox for “shared with host, other guests” is meant to imply shared with other parties. (e.g. If you had two private rooms or suites in a home, but guests could use a common living room where they’d run into the host or other booked parties.

If all your places are “entire home” and you never enter the property, just leave the boxes unchecked.

leave the boxes unchecked implies that they’re not already checked, which is the crux of the problem. The master software engineers at Airbnb had them checked by default for the bedrooms in whole-home listings.

2 Likes

Ah, gotcha. So is it the fault of software engineers? Or the marketing team pushing a “Welcome the world to your bed” campaign? :thinking::laughing:

Airbnb “Experiences”

2 Likes

If I was Air CEO I would fire their entire programming team after finding a new one that understands proper systems analysis, design, TESTING, and documentation.

2 Likes

I would have preferred some option to make a comment since some of the yes, no or number answers don’t give the detail that would be helpful to a guest.

1 Like