Netflix Question

There is the legal aspect of using your personal Netflix account for commercial use. Yes, a vacation rental is a commercial enterprise.

The Netflix service and any content viewed through our service are for your personal and non-commercial use only and may not be shared with individuals beyond your household.

https://help.netflix.com/legal/termsofuse

1 Like

I understand what you are saying in case of a vacation rental where the owner isn’t even in the building. But if I have Netflix in my home and pay for a plan for running multiple devices concurrently it should be none of Netflix’s concern if the TV is being used by a paying guest or by me.

3 Likes

I imagine the argument could be made that the service is primarily for your use. Like you say, vacation rentals might have a harder argument to make. I’m not an attorney.

2 Likes

Me either but I did sleep in a holiday inn express last night.

Given the legal definition of household even I probably could be in violation (if I had Netflix).

1 Like

I have an Amazon Fire Stick 4K connected to the TV. I tell guests they are welcome to logon to Netflix or Amazon Prime or whatever using their own credentials. Many times I have come back after they have left and I have found their accounts still logged on. I usually then just log them out. Not sure about Amazon but I am sure the Netflix main account holder can log out accounts remotely.

Don’t have to worry about streaming data since I have an unlimited fibre Internet plan.

My TV has a Fire Stick with my personal accounts logged in–or, in the era of password sharing, my extended family’s accounts. This includes Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, CBS All Access, Disney Plus, and HBO. I have a pin on the Amazon account to prevent purchases. All the streaming accounts have Guest profiles, which are always used.

I’ve never had a problem except once a guest logged out of my Netflix and wanted the password to log back in. I declined to tell her and instead offered to come login for her, and she said nevermind.

I also have an HD antenna and a DVD player that is underutilized, but guests mention in the reviews they appreciate the DVDs even if they didn’t actually watch one. Same with the board games!

I used to have all of these streaming services hooked up through the Wii, but only people my age (millennials) knew how to work it. Guests of all ages seem to understand how to work the streaming stick.

I also have an HDMI cable that gets some use. I guess guests have something downloaded onto their laptop to watch.

Basically I have everything except cable. I’ve only ever had one person disappointed I didn’t have cable. He was a guest who stayed back in 2016 who was elderly, hard of hearing, and had be dropped off and left to fend for himself by his daughter, who was a local. He called me shouting about how to work the tv. Don’t accept third-party bookings, folks!

I have amazon prime and Netflix for my unit. I don’t think many people watch tv though, I get sporty people who are out and about most of the day.

Send them to me. I’ll send you the telly watchers :wink:

JF

If you give them your password and they have your email address to your account(s) they can log into your accounts from home or wherever they want! I would instead set up an “Airbnb Guest” account for all the streaming services. This is what I do, then I periodically delete those users so all content/history is erased, then I just re-add the ABB Guest accounts and new guests can start from scratch. (Of course some prefer to use their own accounts to log in, which I check for and delete at turnover.)

@yecatsr, we do exactly the same thing.

3 Likes

Hopefully, you just just log them out and don’t delete their accounts. :wink:

Oh yeah, I guess they could. I doubt anyone will as no one has even ever wanted the Netflix password from me as they all have their own accounts. If they wanted to go to all that trouble, well then, I guess they can have it :grin: We only use it ourselves about once every month or two so it wouldn’t really hurt anything. And as far as the Roku, the full email address doesn’t show for that anyway.

I believe I will try having the guests use their own accounts, if I have issues I will get a guest only account.

Thanks, Everyone!

PS: I am sure I will have a lot more questions leading up to getting everything ready and actually listing.

Funnily enough, even millennials weren’t born knowing how to use everything. :slight_smile:

I delete their user profile from the list of profiles on MY account, LOL. Boy wouldn’t they be mad if I had access to delete their whole account, yikes.

We have an Amazon Firestick - same apps and such as a Roku.

I’m glad someone brought this up. I think we have our accounts already logged in for most streaming sites and never bothered to log out, however I agree, those apps show what you’ve been watching lately and save your place if you’re in the middle of something.

Also, I know that when I’m a guest at an Airbnb I prefer to use my own login.

Something else to note: oftentimes accounts like Netflix and Hulu only allow a certain amount of people to stream at one time. So if guests are using your accounts it could prevent you from being able to watch anything. I know we share most of our streaming accts with other family members so I think we may log out of everything and let people use their own accts.

My generation Z guests don’t know how to use the Wii either. They are too young to have had one!

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m not. :rofl:

We decided to buy a Roku express and they have a guest option. They choose the dates they’re staying and it automatically wipes their info for the next guest.

It’s quite easy to use.

I saw that my Rokus have the guest option, but could not find much information about it so haven’t been using it. How exactly does it work?