Netflix and Amazon Prime

Yes, you mentioned three flat panels and a projector screen? That’s quite a lot for one house. The Chromecast/Roku things aren’t a big deal. I had a Roku once. I used it for a few months to watch Netflix streaming on my tv. You just plug it in.

The rental has always had all the tvs. I imagine most of my guests most likely have tvs in their bedroom, and that is what they are used to at home.

AOC e2476Vwm6 23"

I like it

1 Like

I watched a couple of chromecast videos. Now off to see what the difference is with that and Roku. And now I see there are different types of Roku items - media player and a stick???

Should I even be providing any of these things or will guests (who have Netflix accounts) most likely have their own Roku or Chromecast anyway? That Chromecast things is small and I can see guests with kids losing it, or someone taking it home or something? Then the next guest checking in won’t have it?

One thing to add to your checklist… but once it is attached to the TV, no one should move it for any reason.

You can buy locking cables made my Kensington at a very reasonable cost. They are designed to lock computers to a desk, but obviously, can be used to secure many different kinds of items.

1 Like

She won’t be able to lock the Chromecast up.

So do you guys think it is best to just let the guest bring their own Chromecast or Roku device?

All I need to do is provide the HDMI and they will be good to go no matter what kind of device they have??

Guests already have the premium Directv package as it is with HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and Starz. Plus there is a small DVD library they can use.

No, I think just buy one Chromecast… they will love to be able to cast their Netflix on the big TV. Not expensive… $35 or so. Well worth it.

But will they most likely have their own anyway? I guess because I don’t really want to encourage the streaming - due to the limited internet.

I’m okay with allowing it when someone asks, which is not that often. But I think advertising it may just encourage non stop streaming.

I was just thinking if guests had a choice of only being able to watch Netflix on their tablet or the living room tv, versus watching a movie on the theater screen…then many would opt for the movie in the theater room. And then just abandon the streaming??

Their own Chromecasts? Most won’t. My boys do because they’re geeky. :smile:

I think you won’t see any more impact from streaming via Chromecast than you already have… and it gives them an option to watch the movie of their choice on the large screen.

My boys just scolded me for buying a new DVD player. They said it was so last century. :smile:

3 Likes

So if most people won’t own a Chromecast, will they even know how to “cast” something?? I don’t think I would have a clue! - lol. Especially if Netflix is just something I watch on a tablet.

Grrr…you can see I didn’t even retain that much of the video I watched.

Now another option is to just not advertise it and then if someone asks I could say we offer Chromecast. Can you walk me through?? What does a guest need to do in the theater room to get connected? Do they login with my chromecast credentials?? :fearful:

1 Like

LOL! It’s not too difficult… for all the things that can get cast (even apps like PBS) you see a little graphic notation. It will also appear in your wireless list along with your router. So once it’s hooked up you just click on the casting icon and play–very easy!

As I mentioned, we have an older flat screen tv and only one HDMI port, which the sat also uses. So we have to unplug it every time to use the chromecast. But normally you wouldn’t so you would always see the chromecast as an option. It’s not an account that needs credentials because it’s a piece of hardware.

You will also see the Chromecast in your wireless list:

“Cabin Wif-fi"
and
"Cabin Chromecast” or whatever you want to name it… like CabinCast

It gives you an icon… click the icon to begin casting! It’s fun to use!

1 Like

Hmmm…I just read this:

“titles with an HD symbol will stream in high definition with an Internet connection speed of 5 megabits per second or more.”

The internet speed is 6 megabits but it is not always that high when running the tests. Sometimes it goes way down in speed.

Sarah mentioned occassionally the video might pause until the internet catches up. Do people who watch Netflix expect this? I could always let them know ahead of time they are welcome to try it but I can’t guarantee internet speed.

It will start buffering yes… when the speeds are too low. You’ve had guests complain about this?
You’ve had no issues with reaching data limits?
Some ISPs promise you “unlimited” data then throttle you down when you reach a certain threshold.

If you haven’t had anyone mention it (and believe me they WOULD) then your speeds and service are probably adequate. No doubt they have already been bringing their tablets and computers and watching Netflix at the cabin.

1 Like

One guest was recently asked about the internet before AT&T came out recently. Her feedback was that the internet was a little slow but it was fine for her. I guess since I already know the internet can be pokey at times…I probably should not advertise watching Netflix as an amenity. And was thinking if they ask about it I can explain that Chromecast is offered, but the internet isn’t always fast enough to keep up. - So they are welcome to use it, but no guarantees on their movie experience??

Yes, that is a good disclaimer.

1 Like

Hi @cabinhost,

I wouldn’t focus too much on the internet from a streaming pov, unless people actually complain about it. Obviously, having internet is very important. However, people (hopefully) don’t go on holiday to watch tv/movies, or at least not a lot. Maybe if the weather is bad or something.

I’d perhaps ask them for feedback about what could be improved about your listing. And see if they start talking about Roku or whatever.

That’s what I thought!! It is weird though…many of my guests will spend a lot of time at the cabin. I have some people rent it just to stay in and relax from their hectic work schedule. I even had one couple specifically say they wanted to catch up on all of their Netflix shows…lol. That was a long time ago and I can’t even remember what came of that. They still rented.

But I don’t want to even step into any territory of promising an amenity, and then guest is disappointed due to slow internet. I would much rather they be pleasantly surprised if internet is working great, and they get to watch their Netflix. They have every channel imagineable on Directv, and they have DVR to record movies, plus the small DVD library. They can live without their Netflix…lol :smile:

One more thing… My son says you have to reset the chrome cast to the wifi where it is connected. So I would assume for that you would need the password. MY son says he does that with an app. But it would be a one time thing for you to set up the chrome cast.

1 Like