Netflix and Amazon Prime

I bought a computer screen that I have set a chromcast and using a tablett where netflix and other TV app are installed.

Guests loved it, and most doesn’t have a netflix account (we are in Sweden) or like to use ours

Hi @konacoconutz,

Interesting. What port did you plug the Chromecast into? You can get those in India. I wonder if it is worth getting one. But no guest here has yet mentioned or suggested it.

HDMI port…

I might add… guests can bring their OWN chromecasts and plug them into your TV. My boys travel with theirs.

1 Like

As opposed to an LCD TV? I read somewhere that the distinction between a LCD TV and a LCD computer display is increasingly blurred. A LCD computer display has better resolution and is probably more expensive. And to use it as a TV you have to get a TV card (or something like that).

Ah. Well, my CRT TV definitely doesn’t have one of those. Unless it’s possibly to use a converter or something.

I bought this TV in like the year 2005 … when HD programming was a separate premium. Now it’s free. It always had the port though.

Hi @konacoconutz,

I didn’t realise that HDMI ports went back to 2005. Thanks for the information. I’ll double check my TV doesn’t have the HDMI port tomorrow. I can’t do it right now; there’s a guest staying tonight.

This is a Panasonic flat screen. Mind you I paid $1000 smackaroos for a 32-inch then, and as I mentioned, no need for HD ports until this year when Dish Network send a new receiver and made HD free. :smile:

1 Like

You don’t need a TV card. I paid a little over 120 dollars for a 24 screen.
The big bonus is that we don’t have to pay TV licence fee as it’s not a TV. (expensive every year).
Very good quality.

With some smarts and creativity, which you have in spades, you can buy cable adapters that will often get you the results that you want. Expect to spend hours learning a new language, a language that will have absolutely no value 2 years from now.

My head is spinning but feel like I am learning a lot. I know guests have watched Netflix on the big screen but don’t remember exactly how, or what my partner told them. And each time I encounter this question my head starts to spin because I have never physically hooked up or played with HDMI ports, Chrome Cast, Roku Boxes, and never used these netflix accounts, etc. It’s like when I start talking “taxes” to my partner - he gets this glazed look over his eyes.

My partner is working now so I want to learn as much as possible within the next few hours. So maybe, just maybe for once he won’t get angry explaining the stuff to me. Like I said, I do not believe he understands all the latest options available, as he doesn’t use that stuff. I was surprised to hear him say he would need to reprogram the Harmony remote. I am not sure why he is saying that now, as this isn’t the first time. I want to suggest to him the best thing we should purchase for guests and just be done with it once and for all. This is the setup that I know of: And also please comment about video games too. Guests ask if they can hook up their X Box. I think someone told me once to tell guests to bring their X Box hook up?? What is it called? I want to sound somewhat competent when I tell guests what they need to bring, etc.

Bedroom 1: flat panel with an HDMI outlet (is that what it is called??)

Bedroom 2. flat panel (I don’t think it has HDMI)

Living Room: Smart tv flat panel but I don’t know if it has been hooked up to internet?? Does it need to be connected to the internet, or do guests worry about that?

Theater Room: Projector Screen and Blue Ray - there is some sort of HDMI outlet there - is that from the Blu Ray player??

House has all Directv in HD.

So do I need chromecast, or Roku, or both? And what do I say if guests asks if their kid can play video games? And what about the kid wanting to play video on the projector screen? Is that a bad or good idea?

Sorry if these questions don’t make much sense but I don’t exactly know what I need to be asking…lol

The chromecast sort of acts as a router… [quote=“cabinhost, post:52, topic:7170”]
Does it need to be connected to the internet, or do guests worry about that?
[/quote]

OK…just found out there is HDMI input on one end of a line running from the projector.

1 Like

Oh, right. It’s not receiving a TV signal. Sorry - I’m so dumb sometimes. What computer display did you get?

Oh, yes. One does a lot of that in the computer business. :frowning:

Hi @cabinhost,

Wow, that sounds like a lot of stuff. Are you making changes based on guest requests? I thought we were talking about bandwidth issues.

It depends on which Netflix plan you have. We have the least expensive which only permits one user at a time. I’ve found that most, but not all, of the guests who want to use Netflix have their own accounts.

Lots of stuff?? I don’t have any of the chromecast, roku, netflix stuff. Just tvs and BluRay player.

Yes thread is both about possibly going over bandwidth usage, but also I need to be able to have a decent conversation with my guests who ask if it’s possible to do these other things.

I am getting ready to watch a youtube video on Chrome Cast, and then maybe one on Roku. Being able to see it all visually hooked up may help in my understanding.

Netflix, torrents, spotify, games, catch up tv. It’s not all me. I have a lodger too. :slight_smile: