Need help with response for a review

So sorry but yes, guests reveal themselves in their messages. I just had one like this who inquired for a booking this Thursday and immediately complained about the Airbnb cancellation policy and could I waive it as she wasn’t sure of her plans and she then proceeded to ask me questions about the listing that are clearly in my description if she would only have read it.
Since it was an inquiry, I immediately blocked the day she was asking about and told her it was just booked and I have no control over Airbnb policies.
Then I went to her profile and blocked her. I’m pretty sure we dodged a bullet. She has one review (apologetic host) and left a negative review for her first stay as she left early due to a barking dog in the neighborhood.
This is why we don’t have instant book.

2 Likes

Well, she did mention this when I asked what brings her to Oak Park (after explaining that I have no control over the payment options Airbnb offers):

“I grew up on Chicago and my three sisters live in the area. My youngest sister is celebrating her 60th birthday and we are surprising her with our presence.”

Sooooo…you could be onto something there. But if this is a local competition thing, I am one of the main reasons (through civic action) why Airbnb has stayed legit here. Her messages were always riddled with typos, so I’m not sure if she grew up ON Chicago (street three blocks away) or IN Chicago…

1 Like

I would not review at all. She’s obviously a nutter and that will be apparent to other potential guests.

3 Likes

I think I may just let it go. I have plenty of time to change my mind, but really, it’s not going to prove anything either way. I’m just irritated. There goes superhost for October. Not that it matters…

1 Like

Very good idea. Don’t dignify it with reply - it’s not worthy. Plus, in practical terms, a reply will simply draw attention to it. All your other reviews are great and you don’t regularly respond to reviews. Sorry that you got such a shitty guest, it stings. But, as kona said, be glad that you didn’t give them a nice review because then the sting is much worse!
Your place is great and people love it.
FYI, because of the random ordering of reviews (that most hosts hate) her review appears on page two for me when i look at your listing.
As the great hosting phrase goes: Whatever. Next!

3 Likes

I think I will just let it go (we’ll see; that may change).

I do think I will send her a private message saying that I read her review and wish she would have alerted me to any (perceived) issues during her four night stay. She will likely not respond, as she never did during her stay (she was the impetus for this post: Lately, a lack of communication from guests in whole-home rentals

180 5* reviews and one wacko. I’d ignore her and pour a larger glass of wine. :wine_glass:

You are doing well! She, on the other hand … Her first five words are an attack and make her look like a nut job. She seems to have some unresolved issues bouncing around in her noggin!

Hold your head up and be proud, you have a beautiful place and beautiful reviews!

1 Like

“We invite all future guests to please read our other 180+ 5-star reviews. Our photos and our description are totally accurate. We take great pride in providing a comfortable and clean property at a very reasonable rate.”

4 Likes

You guys! I just sent her this. There will, of course, be no response, but it made ME feel better. And that’s what counts…right?

Hi Jacqueline,

_I just read your review and am severely troubled by the issues you mentioned. _

_I was assured you’d had a nice stay here, since I never heard as much as a peep from you during the four days you spent here and I do make a note on check-in to please let me know immediately if anything is amiss. _

_I wish you had informed me; though I do clean everything myself, I suppose there is a chance I could have missed something. _

Natalie

1 Like

bad move.
but what’s done is done.

I just got this back. Surprising how quick she is to reply now.

We had arranged to stay for four days. We were not in a position to notify you to clean the kitchen, porch area, purchase a mattress, couch. Clean food out of the cabinets and fridge. Basics to make a place comfortable.
Today at 10:01 PM•Sent from a mobile device

I give in. Whatever. It was a reasonable message on my part. Better suited to a hotel.

I should know better, you guys. But this just shook me right to the core.

I’ll learn…

1 Like

Psh. I’ll just let it stand. I don’t care. If someone wants to ask me about it, fine. Purchase a new mattress? I should let Nest know about that!

Also, the back porch and yard is off limits to guests, but whatever. And the fridge is spotless, save the condiments in the door, which I point out are there so you don’t have to go buy another damn bottle of mustard.

I’m just going to go to bed.

2 Likes

Don’t Respond. Let it go. Like kidney stones, this too shall pss. But if you feel you must review, then use the wording that @konacoconutz suggested in her first response.

The mistake you made was not reviewing the guest. Why? Every guest, good, bad or average deserves to be reviewed.

2 Likes

I know. I just reviewed the last two who had left just to make sure theirs popped up first. Spent some time on the phone with air and we all know how that went… “the review is a review of their experience, blah blah blah…”

Whatevs. I’m going to bed. Did I say 11? I meant 11:30. Goodnight y’all. :kissing_heart:

At least if my five-star place is a one-star place in her head, she’ll never be back to mess with any of you. She probably leaves the Four Seasons one star on TripAdvisor.

2 Likes

Ooohhh, I wonder if I reply to her review if that would be enough to trigger the airextension on chrome? I’ll have to ask the developer.

1 Like

Well, anyway, at least you guys all know who to avoid! Sheesh, what a lousy sap.

1 Like

I’m not going to. I’ll let it ride. If people want to ask, they can. Every listing needs a little bit o’ crazy, right?

2 Likes

Are you kidding me? Couldn’t figure out he Keurig and didn’t call/text/message with questions? Lame. I hope you enjoyed the wine at least! :hugs:

@Natalie,
When I clicked on your link above and scrolled down, there is a listing in your neighborhood that you can relate to - I couldn’t figure out how to insert a picture but the listing title is:

“One great apartment, 346 great reviews, 1 bad one.”

I thought those hosts have a great sense of humor. :grinning:

3 Likes