Need feedback on my review for bad guests

I have 8 days to post a review, but need to know if it is too over the top. I Xed out the names for this forum. This is what I have written:
Just say no. Here are the valuable lessons I learned as a host for XXXX and her sister, XXXX: 1) If a potential guest has no reviews, it may be because they have not completed their booked stays. 2) To get a refund after the first 24 hours, a guest might raise an issue that cannot be proven or resolved by the host, for example, “your space smells musty and must have mold and mildew, which aggravates my allergies.” It does not matter that this issue has never been raised before by over 40 groups of guests or that the only thing you smell is a scam. 3) Do not try to reason with unreasonable people, just let them go. 4) Do not offer any kind of refund above and beyond your cancellation policy. 5) Do not allow people to stay another night after they have said your space is a health hazard. 6) Make it absolutely clear that it is up to the unhappy guest to cancel their reservation with Airbnb. You will be penalized for making the cancellation if you make it. 7) Refuse any request for a refund or reduction in the cleaning fee. You still have to clean for the next people. 8) Even if they say they “never used the shower,” do not believe them. They might have used the tub and refolded the towels. Note: I always wash all towels, no matter how neatly they are rehung. 9) Make sure to make a record by messaging through the Airbnb thread. 10) Do not be intimidated by the threat of a bad review. One crazy review with wild accusations in a sea of glowing comments from other guests will reflect more on the guest than the host. 11) Don’t fear a claim through the Resolution Center. Stand your ground, defend yourself, and hope that Airbnb will be fair to you. 12) Forget about this experience as soon as possible and don’t punish the nice people for the choice of some to sell their integrity to get a few dollars back.
I was lucky that I didn’t fall for cancelling their reservation and they never cancelled, either, so their stay was recorded as completed, and now I can write this review. They left after two nights in a four-night booking, took photos of our moss outside to substantiate their “mold” accusation, and then filed an “extenuating circumstances” claim. What came out through the Resolution Center is that they had been on a waiting list at another accommodation and they got a call that it was available through a cancellation. All this drama, and if they’d told me the truth, I probably would have understood. Who knows if they tried to stiff the place they moved to.

1 Like

The thing that you have said is your review doesn’t sound like a review, it sounds like a summary of threads on this forum. LOL. I don’t know why you would write a host advice column instead of a review but your review needs to be about the guests and it needs to be stated directly.

4 Likes

I can reword it to tell the story. I was trying to make it less personal, but maybe it has to be. Thanks.

2 Likes

It is great advice to hosts but I think it’s way too long and not really just a guest review. Include the facts about the guests’ dishonesty. Glad you got to keep their money, or I hope you did.

2 Likes

Yes, I did, but I think Air gave them some money back, too. Airbnb was very nice and complimentary to me in their response and said they would personally take care of the guest. I don’t know what that really means.

I think you need to wait a few days. This is way to wordy and makes you sound like the crazy one - which you may be after enduring this experience. Short and sour - that’s how it should be.

“This guest was not a positive experience. They made false claims against my property and were reimbursed by Airbnb because of those false claims. It is regrettable that they were not completely honest with me as I did not have the opportunity to address their concerns”

1 Like

How about this? Is it short enough?
XX and her sister, XX, left our space after the first two nights of their four-night booking. They claimed they could smell mold and mildew and were allergic. This had never come up before, and I could not smell it, but I told them to contact Airbnb, who would send me a notification, and I would approve a refund for the unused nights. They never did cancel, so we were left with no way to fill those nights. They then filed a claim with the Airbnb Resolution Center where they restated their “mold” issue but also inadvertently revealed the truth. They had gotten word from another accommodation where they wanted to stay that there had been a cancellation, so it was open for them. I wish they had been honest with me and not created a lot of drama to get a few dollars back. I would have understood. I cannot recommend them as guests and would not have them back.

2 Likes

I like this wording and may use it.

I would not be so specific. Say something they lied that they had issues with our space in order to transfer to a different accommodation which they originally wanted but was not available. Don’t talk about mold!
Stay general and that the guest was deceptive and that you would not recommend them to other hosts. IMHO

4 Likes

I think Airbnb will remove reviews that make any reference to a resolution situation/dispute. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, I’m sure. So I would go with @dcmooney version. It says absolutely everything a host would need to know. Short and sour, I really like that phrase by the way!

2 Likes

Thank you, people! You are helping me immensely. I am so glad I found this forum.

3 Likes

My edit of your words

Agree totally, except for saying that they lied. It can’t actually be proved and air might remove it.

1 Like

How about this?
This guest was not a positive experience for me. They made unsubstantiated claims about my property, and I could not reason with them. The experience was regrettable on several levels and is the worst I have had since becoming a host.

I have no idea what it means either but suddenly I am imagining some kind of AirMafia. :open_mouth:

5 Likes

He he he. I once fell for their flattery too!

3 Likes

That’s what I was thinking, too. “Taking care” of them is open to interpretation.

1 Like

I would remove “and is the worst I have had since becoming a host” and simply state “I do not recommend them at all”. For me, it detracts from the professional simplicity, ie. it’s not really relevant, apart from to you of course! Hope you see what I mean.

1 Like

The message referred to my "Air"mazing reviews. They use flattery to calm us down.

1 Like

I did too once. But then I had a follow-up email saying how “ecstatic” they were to have helped solved the issue. Ecstatic? Really??