Need feedback on my review for bad guests

I think we have a winner. Thank you so much for talking me down.

1 Like

I still wonā€™t post it until the last day.

Use this one as ā€œtherapyā€ and then post a no-nonsense, non-snark review with just the facts, maā€™am.

2 Likes

Here is the final:
This guest was not a positive experience for me. They made unsubstantiated claims about my property, and I could not reason with them. The experience was regrettable on several levels, and I do not recommend them at all.

3 Likes

I donā€™t mind what you wrote without all the mold specifics. I think imaybe they were not a good fit for your listing. I donā€™t know how a host will interpret so somewhere between too specific and too vague is the sweet spot. Good that you aired your feelings here !

1 Like

umm, this is a little too vague! Can you beef it up some more? :smile:

Hi @Maggieroni,

Minor comment: the latter part of this text talks about ā€œtheir issueā€. But the earlier part just says ā€œleft our spaceā€. For completeness, perhaps it would better to say something like ā€œleft our space because they claimed there was an issueā€? People can leave for other reasons than an ā€œissueā€ with the space. Family/friend emergency, urgent business to attend to. Etc. etc.

What about -

XXXX and her sister XXXX booked my room for 4 nights. Apparently I was their second choice accommodation. When they got notification that their first choice location was available, they left after spending just 2 nights. They made up a claim about my listing in an effort to get a refund. Avoid these guests!

9 Likes

I like this wording, too. I am saving it and keeping my options open. Thanks.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t mention Resolution! You arenā€™t allowed to refer to open cases! Also donā€™t mention you would have been glad to refund anything. How about:

"Unfortunately, these guests proved to be quite the headache. Upon check in, they claimed there was mold (patently untrue; they even took photos of moss on rocks outside, claiming this was the ā€œmoldā€ in question) and yet stayed 48 hours anyway, actually using the bathroom, shower and refolding the towels! Then leaving and claiming we had mold and wanted a refund. We discovered they received word that another accommodation had opened up and we suspect thatā€™s why they were anxious to leave. They also threatened us with a bad review if we did not comply with their demands for a refund. These guests behaved in an irresponsible, conniving manner and I would never have them back, nor would I recommend to other hosts. Stressful experience. Avoid! "

3 Likes

I like it. Straight up. Tells it like it is. Nice work @konacoconutz.

The only thing is, should one talk about mould in oneā€™s own listing? Itā€™s like someone said about vermin. Donā€™t mention the v word, or something to that effect.

3 Likes

That will be $70 please. Nahhhh just joking.

As for the mold, this is on the guest review. Itā€™s not going to show on her listing.

Vermin= RATS, etc. Mold is not vermin! :smile: At least last time I checked. :smile:

1 Like

True, but it will be linked to her listing if the host leaves a review.

Mold is definitely not vermin. But mold is BAD. My point was, as I understood it, that one should avoid making bad associations with oneā€™s own listing. Iā€™m not a marketing person, so I canā€™t speak with confidence on this point.

2 Likes

Not sureā€¦ but I think it makes a good story to mention that they took photos of moss and tried to pass it off as mold!

Mold is one of those intangibles people want to sue over, at least here in the US!

I donā€™t think it hurts her to mention that the guest LIED about the mold.
How many people do that. Follow guest reviews back to the host?

We donā€™t even know if the guest will leave a review.

I think she should say exactly what the guest lied about, but it is up to her.

1 Like

Also this is buying into what the guest lied about, especially if it is completely untrue,.

What about saying ā€œclaiming the accommodation was unsuitable.ā€

By the way, to the OPā€¦ if they want to leave early, itā€™s on them. DONā€™T give them a penny back. You did nothing wrong and stand by your accommodation being mold free!

So do they get to leave a review for me as a host since they went to the Resolution Center and apparently got money back? It still comes up on my listing that I get to leave them one, and I am waiting until the last minute.

1 Like

Still sounds like a rant. Not necessary. ā€œHe said, she saidā€. Just cut to the chase. No one needs to know about the problems with not being able to fill those nights, etc. etc.

3 Likes

I would just add something that makes you sound good like ā€œI am sorry we werenā€™t able to resolve our dispute in a more cooperative mannerā€ or something.

1 Like

Agreed.

Probably not many.

Agreed.

I donā€™t have a strong opinion about mentioning mold. And certainly the way you have told the story makes them look very bad, which is the idea. To be clear, I wasnā€™t saying one should not mention the mold, just raising the point.