My worst racist guest

Hi Jim
Really feel for you if this is vindictiveness. This seems to be a real problem with social media, the mob mentality. If you don’t like someone just call them a racist. Its disgusting and demeans the true meaning of racisim. Must be hell for Airbnb/VRBO to police. For other hosts who are glib about what this gentlemen is going through - try sit in his shoes and see how it feels. Not a nice feeling at all!

1 Like

Thanks for your reply, but really do you have to demean another host for their spelling?

Talking about the impacts of racism on hosting is an important conversation to have, but different hosts will have different opinions and reactions to certain things. Best be mindful of that. Different ideas and opinions is what makes this forum interesting.

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

Have you thought the others hosts who you kindly call ‘glib’ may be more familiar with Jim than you are @alkira

Of course it is appalling to be called a racist without reason.

I would find it astonishing (being kind here) if Airbnb had carried out two investigations and suspended a hosts account twice, purely because of social media gossip from hosts on a social media group…please.

2 Likes

This is the guy who openly boasts about deliberately breaking other hosts House Rules. Maybe they are more familiar with him…

In my humble opinion, if you are a bad guest, who deliberately breaks a hosts House Rules, then there is a high likelihood that you will not be a good host.

JF

3 Likes

I have had my fair share of jerks, and right off the plane types whose cultures are not known for respecting females.

The first thing that comes to mind is the protection of the peace of mind of other guests, family, and neighbours.

Terms like “racist” are subjective and judgmental when talking to Air or on a review. And “self centered, bloated proof of the missing link” a touch too cerebral. How about the generic “behaved inappropriately and offensively to others” as a smarmy compromise?

Wow - this certainly is a lively topic!

Oakland has a bad rep in at least parts of the US, for crime, violence, SanctuaryCity & our willingness to deal first-hand with our national Homeless crisis. Never been a tourist attraction!

Only recently, because folks are priced out of San Francisco (20 minutes) & Silicon Valley (50-60+ min)has it appealed to young, well-heeled”hipsters” - who comprise more than 60% of my guests. More during the winter months, when I have more biz travelers. International tourists stay here almost strictly for a low-cost, quiet alternative to SF.

As many of us may do,I love to occasionally scroll thru my past reviews and profile pics and, when I think about it- am inspired by the rainbow. Any racist or homophobe (no intention to offend) would first be put off by my Inner City, Oakland location; if not, they would be “alerted” by read these wonderful reviews by truly outstanding young[er than this boomer :wink: guests!

I’m sure most of us are so grateful to Airbnb for this by-product of our business: opening our homes opens hearts & minds. Let the racists, homophobes & paranoids stay in locked hotel rooms.

4 Likes

Several of our guests have commented that they like the “rainbow” picture on our listings.

3 Likes

Purple is under-represented here … the picket lines start tomorrow! :slight_smile:

2 Likes