My turn to get help writing a review

Exactly. The fact that it had quotes around it meant “review” to me. Just like @KenH did.

I totally understand the sarcasm and agree with you! And based on your other sentences (and posts for that matter) I think most do (and all regulars).

No hard feelings. I am a very literal person. And I do love sarcasm! It’s just a tricky thing on a forum for sure.

1 Like

I think a lot of hosts miss this point. I also will not stay with a host who writes nasty, too-personal reviews about their guests. Polite, valid complaints - yes. Vicious personal put-downs meant to embarass - no.

2 Likes

@georgiahost, neither would I.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t bother at all contacting the host. I’m too busy as it is with my full time job and hosting on the side, and I’m not desperate for guests.

What I was trying to say in so many words is this: I don’t care about the gender, orientation or whatever of my guests. I just want guests who are responsible. Period. Responsible for their actions and consequences.

This guy, although nothing happened in the host’s house, is clearly not responsible and that’s why I wouldn’t want him. With him, you dont know whats going to happen next and then you will have to come to his rescue, a position I don’t want.

As I said, I had my share of people asking me to accept them for a night because they want to start a new life and with the last x $ they need to book a place in order to go to work tomorrow or stuff like that. Or wanting to use my address to get a drivers licence. or get mail. etc

If I get the whiff of possible drama - no matter how they got there - I decline. I want responsible guests.

Because of this I rely on other hosts to give a true review of their guests. I’ll ask the OP, if this guy was Mr. perfect for you, why did you feel the need to write here? Obviously something bothered you. Well, this “something” that bothered you, I, as a future host, I want to know. If you give him a glowing review that everything is peaches, I’d accept him and I might get involved in his misfortunes, which I don’t want.

2 Likes

I think, as an early commenter said, I had misgivings just because I got caught up in his situation and thought about him for a few hours. Just sympathy for his situation.

I’ve been poor, too. And I can’t judge him for his choices. In no case do I know the whole story—or need to. Driving without a license? Yes, it could have been intentional. It could also have been an oversight: Maybe he had a driver’s license in his pocket that expired without him remembering it.

Despite all his personal drama, other than asking me for help getting a cab, he didn’t ask for anything from us. He was quiet, regardless of how upset he probably was overnight. He stayed courteous, respectful of our other guests, rule-abiding, and appreciative of our welcome.

Yes, we’d host him again. And we hope things turn around for him.

3 Likes

Good for you. I don’t host locals for multiple reasons.

I reject requests if I see even remotely a red flag.

I’ve been poor too. But it’s not my place and I don’t have time to be sucked in drama. I do go the extra mile for the guests I like. Yesterday I drove a guest to the airport for example on my way to work and we exchanged emails and will keep in touch. I might be in position to help his business. But in general I want to simplify my life instead of complicate it, hence my position.

1 Like

Somehow I didn’t see this response for all the ones with @JJD. Didn’t mean to ignore you. No, i would always care about it. But perhpas if enough things went wrong I would be inclined to put more in it…but no, not the first line unless that part was actively a part of all the problems. In OP’s case there weren’t any big problems.