My listings keep disappearing

I just replied to you in another topic because on the Airbnb site it says:

Rejecting a large number of requests, or failing to respond to inquiries will affect your placement and visibility in search.

Of course, this will be just one factor that can affect the listing.

Update. My team of 12 people in different locations and doing repeated searches cannot find my listing. Air insists it is up and being viewed. Anyone who wants to help can go to Air BnB = Ottawa - five guests 3 bedrooms- 2 baths 4 beds and see if it pops up. Title is Large Heritage Home Walk to everything.

Here is the link, but donā€™t use it it works fine!

ttps://www.airbnb.ca/rooms/10585211?guests=5&adults=5&location=Ottawa%2C%20Canada&check_in=2017-06-17&check_out=2017-06-20&s=3g1KULT_

Sorry donā€™t know how to tidy that up!

At my wits end! Suggestions?

I found you using the title (I searched on google); I assume you recently had a guest called Estelle and about 10 reviews overall?

Edit: though I could find you when I typed the title in I couldnā€™t when I just searched using the parameters you gaveā€¦

Hi Marthaā€“I went through 88 listings using the parameters you gave, but didnā€™t see your title. I did see one entitled ā€œNo Longer Availableā€, though. Grrrrā€¦ Airbnb search sure can be frustrating, right? I hope this can be fixed for you soon. I didnā€™t click on the link in case there is another search I can do for you that doesnā€™t tip Airbnb off based on browsing history. I was using the Airbnb app, if it is relevant. Good luck!

I did too. So itā€™s certainly there and live.

Martha,

I have had a search issue since October of 2016. Air has been completely useless. My issue may be different than yours because I do show up, but only sometimes. It always starts out the same way. The rep. will acknowledge I have an issue, they will send to the tech team or whatever team, and then by the end of multiple email exchanges they will insist there are no issues. They completely lie.

I did the same as you and had a group here do test searches by entering in the data and they confirmed they could find me if they googled the name of the property, but not if they entered in certain criteria.

At first I thought this issue was only limited to the number of guests entered and whether or not the guest did or did not enter dates. But I found out that I am also affected when all that info is entered and my dates are available.

For example: I could type in 2 guests for three days in June and I would not show up at all. And then I could edit one of those dates to take a day off, and voila! - there I was. No changes on my end except taking off a day. The incognito crap they tell you is just that.

Finally they gave me permission to create a new listing. But guess what? If I create a new one under the same account, all the same issues are tied to my account. I realized this when I started testing with another property I am getting ready to rent. Same issues with the searches. The reason I didnā€™t create another account is because all the payments are tied to my partner and the same with the taxes submitted by Air. I donā€™t want to mess with creating an account under my social security number and have it mixed together. Simpler to keep everything under one person for tax purposes.

They refused to create a new listing for me and just transfer all the reviews. I also donā€™t have that many listings in my area. Itā€™s not like there are thousands of listings and they can only show 300. I should show in ALL of the searches. When a traveler just enters my city and no other criteria, I donā€™t show up. Maybe 26 listings will show up. It makes me angry to see new listings show in the results. Sorry to hear about your frustration.

There have been a couple of people on this forum who were not showing at all, and Air seemed to be able to fix their issue fairly quickly. Maybe they will chime in on what Air did.

I suspect that we all feel that way. Although I understand that the new host boost is a hook to try to ensure that new hosts stay with Airbnb, no-one knows anything about the quality of these listings.

I know, I know, I loved the new host boost when I was new!

But I would love it if there was some way to get some sort of commitment from new hosts so that searches only showed real listing from hosts whose aim it is to please their guests, rather than people who are ā€˜giving Airbnb a tryā€™ and might give up after a couple of months.

Oh, a new host boost wouldnā€™t bother me. It makes me angry because they show in search results and I donā€™t. I was the first person in my city listed on Air. So when it comes back with letā€™s say 90 properties and I am not even on the last pageā€¦thatā€™s why I am angry. I donā€™t mind being pushed to the bottom, but I donā€™t even show up and I should when I meet all criteria. That has been my issue since October. It may have even been before that, but thatā€™s when I first noticed.

1 Like

Itā€™s still there. I reported it, too, just now.

So did I. And I think that everyone who sees this post should do so too!

I know that I bang on about this quite a lot but if you promote your listing via social media and articles, wouldnā€™t that make Airbnb sit up and take notice?

I was wondering what your stats are like? (Not that I trust Airbnbā€™s stats). Are you still getting pageviews?

I donā€™t pay attention to page views, only bookings. But the point is that I am a superhost and was the first person even listed in my city, and they have inserted some kind of algorithm into my listing that it seems the people I talk to cannot remove.

There is no reason for me to disappear off the map when I am available for the criteria entered. I did read about one person who said it took months and they found out a ā€œsecretā€ algorithm had been inserted into his account, and they finally realized it. I mentioned this once to the reps. and the rep. just said ā€œdonā€™t believe everything you hear.ā€

I list on so many other sites and that is why I am able to maintain bookings. But I should show up when the criteria is entered. Not sure what you are asking about stats and such. But to show up for letā€™s say June 3rd - June 6th, and then not show when they enter June 2nd - June 5th - it means something is programmed into my listing.

This goes back to how a lot of the listing sites are manipulating the searches. I think they were playing with it and I was stuck as an experiment. There is no direct connection to the people who program these things.

I just meant that if your stats show that you are receiving a certain number of hits a week, then it may be that potential guests are finding your listing okay. If the stats are low, and youā€™re getting no hits then taking a screenshot and showing it to Airbnb could be a stick to beat them with?

1 Like

The number of hits donā€™t matter. Many of those hits may be your own friends and yourself doing searches. The issue is that I donā€™t appear at all when the criteria and dates are met. They will at first acknowledge, and then gradually after back and forth emails try to convince you this isnā€™t true. This is what Martha is dealing with. Someone can google the name of her property. Wellā€¦if they can google my name then they know they can book direct without Airbnb fees. The issue is if they are a new traveler they canā€™t even find her at all. She just disappears.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Not sure what more I can do with Air. I got one more listing so it still shows up very intermittently. Have two bookings from months ago comping in this week and the July 1 weekend. Canadaā€™s 150th - booked last September. I am praying for 5 stars and hoping the placement improves. Will report back. Considering trying instant book ā€¦
Also now listed on VRBO, but no bookings yet. One request for months ahead that I had to decline! Very frustrating. We need the income but not desperate. Shows we should not count on Air.

I have same problem. Since I listed my house in AirBnB, I was told listed, but nobody could find the holiday house in the system. I have tried to contact the host, then I find out you would have no way to contact any real person in AirBnB. You would lost in the system.

I am having the same issue in 2021. Contactining Airbnb at least 10 timesā€¦ they agree itā€™s a techinical issue but apparently couldnā€™t fix itā€¦ been a superhost for so long this is really frustratingā€¦

This thread is over 6 years old and most the people posting on it are no longer active