My guests robbed me and I have a proof. What do I do?

I always carry several copies of my ID with me, when I am traveling.
You can get a copy, and compare it with my ID, but you do not get my ID to make a picture.

90% of the AirBnB’s are amateurs who do not know anything about existing laws, and many hotels also operate against the law, because the guest is clueless and allows them to. In most European countries making a copy of a ID is allowed, but taking a digital-picture is not, based on privacy and storage of personal data laws.

2 Likes

The little witch! Hope you get it resolved asap. Good luck.

2 Likes

It is.

Proper hosting is a constant battle with the authorities (constantly changing laws), the competition, the elements/nature (destroying your property) and guests.

1 Like

Well, the ‘struggle’ is highly dependent on where one lives and/or how one thinks. We all have different realities.

2 Likes

Yeap! She even looked like one, I swear)))

1 Like

Have you reported this incident to your local media? This should be shared with the public, especially since doing so will make it easier to catch these thieves.

2 Likes

No, I am not sure who to report to. I made a police report on the phone - they didn’t want to move over, and was told to drop the picture evidence when I get a chance!
I see at her AirBnb profile today and she added half of our neighbors to her “Dream List”. I am worried she continues her criminal activities, but I am not a police and I don’t want to scare her away by saying something to the media! I don’t know what to do, I am afraid what she can do to other hosts!!!

1 Like

I understand not wanting to get too involved but I’d definitely tell the police that. Maybe they could set up a sting type operation. It’s not worth it for one robbery but if it’s a full time operation they might like to stop that.

2 Likes

Please forgive me for not re-reading through the entire thread.

But what happened after she accepted your $500 claim? You mentioned she was using a fraudulent card.

So Air is allowing this guest to continue to wish list places even though she was caught using a fraudulent card, and you reported the theft to Air, along with the video images?

2 Likes

@cabinhost @KKC
Yes of course I told Airbnb everything including my concerns and sent them the pics. She accepted my $500, her account is still active and etc. Air should partner up w police and track them down, and I mentioned that as well to both of them

1 Like

So did Air actually transfer $500 to you?

2 Likes

No. I just finally got the payout for the actual reservation (and not the whole sum) after requesting it like 7 times. Filed Host Guarantee, waiting for them to review it now…

1 Like

You keep teasing me :smile: - lol.

Details please…details. So what percentage did Air keep and why?

What did Air say about the fraudulent card? Did the guest end up using a different card, or did Air say they were going to compensate you on their own?

And what is the delay with the $500?

You can just tell me none of my business. I won’t be offended. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can tell you anything, we are all here to share and help.
I got money for 1 night, but that woman requested late checkout and accepted additional $100 fee. Never got this one.
Also never got $500. Well I guess there is no point since its not her money, its AirBnb’.
I filed a Host Guarantee form and included this $500 in it, as missing (stolen is better word) items.

The guest never paid anything.
I am not sure if Air contacted her, and I find it hard to imagine: “Hi, we noticed you used stolen ID and a credit card. Please upload your valid ID and provide a valid credit card for all the charges against you”…
:blush:

2 Likes

I am sure she contacted me last weekend. Her profile claimed she was from Los Altos. She looked like a meth addict. I asked questions before accepting the reservation and with her grammar and spelling she seemed off. Her name was Michelle. I denied the reservation.

I had another request on Thursday from David. His picture was unclear and very similar grammar with a fishy story. I asked for a clear picture and some follow up questions. He also looked like a meth head.

I am in San Jose. Both profiles were removed from Airbnb. I have spoken to Airbnb with my concerns and asked if this is a pattern in the Bay Area.
They denied there was but with your story, and me being contacted twice in 5 days I disagree.

1 Like

Yes!!! They are working in our area!!! Definitely act like drug addicts! However, her spelling was fine. Her name on the account is Laura from Union City.
We had a similar request last nite again. The picture on the profile was taking from the Internet. She also wanted to check in in next few hours. What was weird her payment were “awaiting” for 5 hours along with her verification “pending”. We were not sure if she booked or not, and she was not replying to our texts. Finally, at 8 pm reservation went through and at 10 pm she texted us asking for a check in process. I called Air to cancel the reservation. They have not canceled yet and I just received a payout. I am not sure what’s going on, but it definitely looks like fraud - she never called or text again!

You did!!! That’s crazy.

We have also gotten a few ‘last minute’ bookings from Bay Area people, with really BAD reasons why they want to stay in SF. I have my IB set to the fully verified option, so they have to request an can’t just book. I’m sure it has saved me from some of these hoodlums.

1 Like

Right, and we also require the full verification to book with us!

If you use IB and these crooks keep requesting, make sure they are set on the highest security option! Or maybe turn IB off if this is starting to happen a lot.

Isn’t there a way to also decline the same day ones? If someone has a stolen card, it makes sense to try to use it quickly before it is canceled.

Same day requests without a valid explanation are a serious red flag.

1 Like