My guests robbed me and I have a proof. What do I do?

Thanks JonYork. This is pretty much my number 1 priority to find a camera that is the best fit for us. I would install it outside by our front door but most likely our HOA would have me take it down. I could try though or find a hidden one that no one will notice.
My other option would be to have a camera inside in a private area as you mentioned such a hallway but my apartment is a loft so it’s kinda goes together with the second bedroom, there is no real separating wall…

Can you also recommend a specific camera? Is it video only or the sound too? Doing my research now

1 Like

I have the Ring doorbell camera which works well for my situation. They also have a wireless “stick up camera.” But it doesn’t have a “live look in.” In other words you can’t turn in on whenever you want, it’s motion activated. It has sound and I can both listen and talk.

3 Likes

These criminals know all the tricks. They know exactly what to do. If it’s a separate property we need to meet and greet in person, make picture of ID. Be sure it matches people who were verified. And no same day bookings. It needs to be at least 24 hours . Within these 24 hours credit card owner hopefully will be notified of unusual activity and fraud would be detected.I refuse same day bookings on a regular basis and these crooks just dos spear into thin air without a word

3 Likes

The stick up version does have a live look in…you just go to the app and select ’ Live View’. It is not constantly recording, but if you go to Live View it will record until you stop, that is how I was able to ‘hear’ my idiot guests that I thrown out a few weeks back. I went to Live view and kept it on for over an hour while they called ABB, spoke to the cops, cursed me for ruining their vacay (win!!), etc.

2 Likes

Great, tnank you! Will check it out. Do you warn people in advance about the camera? Do they notice?

Right. It was same day booking with no review. I shudda been more careful with it. Was just hoping Air does its job verifying ID/CC somehow. Nope. Now taking pictures of ID. Does it mean no self-checkin or we just pick and choose depending on reviews the guests have?
My neighbors are very pissed off - she stole packages from them too as well as my husband package w Beach Body shake :smirk:

WOW! So sad for you. Did you file a police report, I would, please let us know what happens.

1 Like

Hi Emily! Filing on Monday, thank you for the support. Will keep you posted!
Have a great weekend!

Thanks for that info! I wish the doorbell had that.

Chris, when you say your guests do an online check-in with ID details, do you mean an official one or is it one that you have created? We will have to start collecting this info (AND emailing it to the police!) next season for EVERY guest over the age of 16 and obviously this will create a lot more work for us and more hassle for the guests …

If you design your own I’d be interested to know if you have any suggestions about what software, if any, you use to design the form.

My hotel software has an online check-in feature.
It sends an email with a link, to an online form.

Since June our municipality (in our country it is not the police collecting this data) also offers an online check in trough their system.

You know a guest is allowed to refuse this?
Pictures and/or copy’s of ID’s are used for Identity fraud.

It is better to just write down all information you need.

Or make a real copy on paper, and mark it with “Copy”, the date the copy is made, and the purpose of the copy.
I personally would not allow a hotel to make a picture of my ID.

2 Likes

They can refuse as much as they want but no one is getting into my house without me making picture if their ID. If they don’t trust me with this info then feeling is mutual

1 Like

I would not be staying at your place then, but report you to the police, and get you delisted from AirBnB.

My country has pretty strict privacy rules, and rules on collecting data. Making copies/pictures of an ID is not allowed.

1 Like

Didn’t you just say on another post you should collect their data to prevent chargebacks @Chris

Oy my head… confused !

1 Like

Yes, and I exactly wrote down what data to collect.
You note all the data down, and have the guest sign it.

I did not say, take a picture or copy of the ID. Because pictures and copy’s are used a lot for mail fraud.

The only way you can legaly take a copy, if you allow a guest to invalidate the copy.

1 Like

In my experience it doesn’t matter anyway.

I’ve been a victim of theft; not a thing got investigated I just had to file a claim with my insurance once I got the police crime report. Increasingly policing is becoming a situation of recording the the crime, and telling you to move on.

2 Likes

I stayed in many Airbnbs as a guest and many hosts took picture of my license. I stated in many hotels in different countries and mostly all of them made copies of my IDs. May be its you country is special in this case but it’s obviously you don’t know everything.
I would for sure would not want to have a guest like you who will try not knowing anything about my country try to " delist me from Aurbnb".

1 Like

Sometimes I get the impression, from reading this board, hosting is a combat sport. :sunglasses:

7 Likes