Most Bizarre experience this morning

OMG! I don’t even know where to start. Or what I just experienced!
I have a guest at my listing since August. They are undergoing some repairs in their home; a family of 6 and 2 pets. I have been very accommodating and worked hard to make sure their stay is a pleasant one.
I went this morning for a routine check and to make sure that the automatic sprinkler I had installed was working. Upon getting there, I noticed that the driveway and entrance of the house needed sweeping/raking. My house was the only one that didn’t look clean. I also noticed a lot of mushrooms that needed to be removed. This was about past 8am. I pressed the doorbell and called the guest on her phone. She ignored both. I knew they were home because the cars were parked on the driveway.
I went over to my neighbor and asked for a broom which they provided. The guest came out as soon as I started sweeping to put her dogs in (the dogs had seen me through the locked gate and started barking). She saw me and ignored me. I said hi. After sweeping, I tried calling her again which she ignored. I pressed the bell once. When she came to the door, I asked if she could give me access to the side gate to quickly dispose of the trash that accumulated from the cleaning. She opened the door, angry, irritated, and aggressive asking me if I was ALLOWED to just show up there. I was dumbfounded but calm. I asked where this was coming from; apparently, her family was upset whenever I showed up to clean the outside of the house. She expressed that I had upset her family on the 2 previous occasions that I showed up to clean the outside. On one of those occasions, she had requested that the plants needed some trimming. I had upset her family when I cleaned up the garage (I cannot tell you the state of the garage that led to me cleaning it. It was filthy).

Phew! To cut a long story short. I told her, yes, I could come in anytime and check in on my property. I informed her that she can always let me know if this is not a good time for her. She slammed the door in my face. I guess there goes my “good review”.

2 Likes

I am grateful for the business that Airbnb brings, especially this guest. But days like this make me wonder. I made a conscious decision not to let this guest get to me. She checks out on the 21 of Jan. I already am very realistic as to what to expect. I will take a video of the house upon checkout. I have already blocked off my Calendar for 4 days in anticipation of the cleaning/repair that might be done.

2 Likes

They sound like horrible people, but did you notify them that you would be showing up to clean the outside on a regular basis and arrange times with them when you would do this?

Because, in fact, you can’t just show up whenever you want except in an emergency situation, like the plumbing bursts or there is a fire. You have to give 24 hrs notice or have arranged it with the guests beforehand, like coming once a week on Saturdays, and have written agreement.

8 Likes

When they initially made the reservation, I informed them about my cleaner who would be coming to clean up the backyard intermittently. But unfortunately, this hasn’t happened due to personal reasons on the part of my cleaner. So I decided to take on this responsibility. No one has access to the backyard as the 2 side gates are locked. The guests have the key. I made this decision on purpose so that they can feel at home as much as possible.

Since August, I have only been there on 3 occasions to clean the backyard. Their pet poop littered the backyard with flies swarming the whole place. I have had to clean that and scoop up the dirt, never did I complain to the guests. I have neighbors on both sides of the house and can already see this will pose a problem.

But to answer your question, I went to drop my kids off at daycare and decided to look in on the lawn and my newly installed automatic sprinkler. To ensure that it’s working. The front of the house has no barrier or gates. It’s an open space. Sweeping the front was a spontaneous decision because of how filthy it was. She wouldn’t have known that I was even there if I hadn’t needed to use the trash bin. I don’t expect the guest to clean the front area. At the same time, I want to keep my business open by not giving the neighbors any reason to complain. I typically pre-inform her and work with her on a time that is convenient for both of us.

Quite honestly, I would have cut their stay short if I found something like that, because it’s a clear indication of their disrespect for the property and a portent of the state of the inside. Was cleaning up their pet waste not a part of the terms of them bringing pets? At the very least, I would have told them not cleaning up after their dogs was unacceptable the first time I found that mess, rather than “never complain”.

10 Likes

You are right, Muddy.
This has been an experience for me. Lesson learned.
I already know of the update I will be making for guests who will be staying that long.
I opened my calendar this morning and will not accept an extension if requested.

1 Like

August through January is probably a tenant under your state’s laws. You might want to send a nicely worded eviction notice that doesn’t sound too much like an eviction notice but meets your state’s requirements along with your check out info so you are covered in case they refuse to leave. Most states require you to send it 30-days in advance. That way you will be a month ahead getting them out if they refuse to leave. My attorney advised me not to accept bookings for more than 28 days to avoid this problem but maybe the homeless situation isn’t as bad where you are as it is here.

4 Likes

I don’t know where the OP is located,but there are some jurisdictions where hosts aren’t allowed to rent for less than 30 days. If I lived in an area like that, where guests legally become tenants, I wouldn’t use Airbnb, where you aren’t even allowed to charge a security deposit. (Unless you’re a “big player”- those guys seem to be able to get away with all kinds of things us little guys aren’t)

6 Likes

We are located in Los Angeles. Her Insurance company made the reservation due to repairs at her home.

You’re probably ok then. Her reaction is quite bizarre but, as they say, it takes all kinds.

3 Likes

Ok. Thank you for the feedback. I was about to complete an eviction notice but good to know that it might not be needed.

I already “skipped” my scheduled messages post checkout that asks for a review. I will be surprised if she misses on the opportunity to “hurt” me. I guess I will have to wait and see.

1 Like

I’m not advising that an eviction notice won’t be needed but it’s less likely since they have a home. Since the insurance company made the reservation you should be able to ask whoever made them reservation when their home will be ready.

Best regards,
Michelle

1 Like

The process initially started with 2 months. They have extended twice since then. So I am hoping that their home will be ready by the check out date. I have opened up my calendar for other people to book. They can find another home if they need an extension.

Since its an Insurance company, I feel a lot less stressed about the guests refusing to move out.

If the insurance company booked for them, the insurance company may be willing to cover any damages…

3 Likes

Can you put in your description/rules/lease that you will need access to the exterior of the property for exterior landscaping/cleanup every 14 days?

4 Likes

Sticky situation…

For larger properties that allow longer stays and require landscaping maintenance, some Hosts typically put in their House Rules that routine maintenance may be required during the guest stay and that they will coordidate this with the guest if possible. It is also listed in the Other Details Section and added to the Check-In message to guests (cover all your bases).

Perhaps they were upset as they were awoken by their dogs barking? Who knows? Best to always coordinate with guests if possible (24hours in advance if you can). If they don’t respond to your message regarding this 24hrs prior, you could try texting them and send a message on the platform that you tried contacting them on the platform, but they did not reply? Pick a later time to go to the property (some people sleep in pretty late). Keep screen shots of your texts.

Correct…this was discussed during check-in. I will be adding this to my check-in/house rules.

Be that as it may, I would have politely informed the host that this is not a good time especially since this has never been an issue before. We always decided on the time especialli if i would be bothering them in any way.

This does not excuse the attitude, and the rudeness. Asking a host they are “allowed” into their own property to clean the front house. I would never do that.

1 Like

There’s no excuse for “attitude” or rudeness, but honestly, when someone is paying rent, it is a legal requirement in most places I’m aware of for landlords to give a tenant notice before coming on the property unless it’s an emergency situation. Sure, plenty of tenants wouldn’t care about the landlord doing outside clean-up and maintenance, but that’s not really the point.

My grown daughter has this issue with her landlord, who lives next door, although you can’t see one house from the other. He just shows up without notice, deciding to mow the grass, when she might be trying to put her toddler down for a nap. One time she was exercising in the living room, in her sports bra and panties, and there he was at the front door, where he had a clear view of her through the uncurtained window. (The property is in the countryside, down a long driveway, no one else would be able to see in unless they were where he was)

He’s not a creep, who was being a peeping Tom, he’s just an old guy who thinks he has the right to come onto “his” property whenever he wants, which is actually illegal. And his wife told my daughter, “Oh, Tommy doesn’t use the phone or text”, which is a pretty poor excuse. He had just come over to ask her if she’d seen any more carpenter ants in the house, which he had fumigated for, as it had been an issue, but she rightly felt her privacy had been invaded.

2 Likes

Whatever the local laws say, it’s simply not a good idea for a landlord to go to a rented property without giving 24-hour advance notice.

As @Muddy says, there are many reasons why a guest/tenant wouldn’t want someone on the property without their permission.

Although the OP refers to the place as ‘my own property’ the fact is that when someone is paying rent to a host/landlord it is their home for the duration of the lease or agreement.

So no, a host can’t just wander into the property or the grounds when they feel like it. And remember that to some people 8 am is a time when they are still in bed or not properly dressed and groomed for the day.

If a property is prone to leaves and overnight mushrooms then it’s better to have a regular maintenance person who visits at the same time every week.

4 Likes

In my first Air I lived on the property, same house divided. I had a pretty large yard with lots of plants and bird feeders. I tried not to be outside working unless they were gone for part of the day. Seriously wanted not to get in their space.

1 Like