Morgan Stanley - IPO

Was everyone offered the same amount of shares? When I went to the final purchase page, I was only able to buy 20 shares, when I had hoped to buy 200. Were the number of shares offered based on seniority? We’ve been Air BnB owners for over 3 years. Or did we perhaps enter a typo during the initial setup?

I’ve seen a couple of articles saying g there were 3.5 million allocated to hosts.

1 Like

From reading comments in this thread, and my personal experience, it looks like the actual allocation amounts might have been decided by response time. When the initial email arrived, I responded within 1 minute. This was the one that said you had to express an interest and where we confirmed our contact info. When the one arrived with info on setting up a MS account, again, I responded within a minute and completed the process indicating the number of shares I was interested in was 150. When the offer to purchase came, I was indeed offered the full amount that I had requested. All that said, I have only been a host since February of 2016, SH came shortly after. I see comments from hosts who have been doing this this much longer than me who were overlooked entirely or received initial emails then appear to have been shutout. As everything was done electronically I am assuming the response rates were the deciding factor and I doubt Air had any decisions other than the initial criteria they used to determine who was eligible to participate and pricing options. They did not control the sale. Regulatory commissions did. I personally don’t think there was anything fishy or unclear about the process. They reiterated this would be first come first served with no guarantees over and over. Sorry for the long post.

6 Likes

Interesting. So at a max of 275 that’s fewer than 13k hosts. The next thing I’m interested in is how many hosts got in on the ipo. If you run across that could you post it please?

When people say they called Airbnb and Airbnb told them everything was set, that’s clearly wrong. I think this offering had a lot of people considering buying an individual stock for the first time in their life and it was a confusing process for them. Some people probably thought just telling Airbnb to put them on the list of interested hosts was enough.

I didn’t respond within a minute but certainly within the hour. The emails told me first come first serve and so I prioritized being available in the time frames indicated. The first email told us we would have a few hours on the evening of the 9th after pricing.
As far as allocations go, I think they just underestimated the demand so instead of being able to max out at 275, it was 200.

I got the email overnight saying the trade information was available online and I logged in and took a look. So if anyone is still wondering if this sorcery is real they will know today.

2 Likes

I agree that calling Airbnb was a moot point. There is no reason a CSR would have access to that information. I also believe it was a first time experience for many people and they did not understand the process thoroughly. I was going to mention that shares are now showing in the MS account but forgot that in my long winded response! Reddit has some really interesting threads on how personally wronged some people feel “being that they’re partners and all.” Lol.

2 Likes

The shares have shown up in my Morgan Stanley account, but it looks like there is no way to sell them yet. Anyone know when we will be allowed to cash out the profits?

You have to call. It’s been noted on multiple threads here and in the run up emails prior to the sale.

1 Like

The sense of entitlement that seems to be everywhere these days is very strong.

If Airbnb made sure every host who wanted shares got them, with minimal effort on the host’s part to get them, then we each would get one share.

Now that I think of it I’d also be interested to know how Airbnb dealt with the owner vs host. We already have one person posting thinking the employee got the shares rather than them, the owner of the property.

Yep. And then there would be the complaining that ‘I’ve been hosting xx number of years and should have gotten more.’ My feeling is that the entitlement has always been there, the internet has just fed it and made it more visible. And anonymous commenters fan the fires of indignation. Oh, and let’s not forget all the folks that are quitting hosting because Air didn’t appreciate them enough in the way they handled this.

4 Likes

I was only offered 20 too. Would have definitely gotten more… but still happy I was still able to participate.

Poor roll out by Morgan Stanley… even the Financial Advisor I spoke to from the MS emails admitted their were problems. They sent a deadline email at 8PM with due at 1AM dated the 10th. Don’t forget you are the product…

When did you receive this? I still haven’t/ I responded to Morgan Stanleys first email went through all the steps but never got any further confirmation…

When I logged into my MS account on the 10th it was already confirmation period ended message.

OK I did the docusign docs with MS but never got an email to open a brokerage account. Sounds like I’m out of luck?

Thought I’d confirm for anyone interested in selling. I was able to place a limit order to sell over the phone. The limit was filled @ $148.48 while I was still on the phone with the agent.

One thing to note… The “advisor” numbers provided in the emails and on the portal were useless, I couldn’t get hold of anyone. I ended up calling the general customer service number 888-454-3965 and waited on hold for 5 minutes, spoke to an agent for 10 minutes, waited on hold for another 5 minutes, then was connected to a random advisor who was able to place the order for me. In total the call lasted 28 minutes.

2 Likes

Reminder to all those who missed this first offering - if you are a believer in airbnb’s future, buying stock at the current price as an investment is also possible. Nobody is telling anyone to sit on the sidelines…

1 Like

For those who did not get any shares allocated I would wait and buy over the next year at a time you feel comfortable. Already the stock is under considerable selling pressure today and once the employee lockups expire it will be under even greater pressure. If you plan to hold over the long term it should not matter when you buy it. Uber/Lyft etc even dipped below their IPO price.

2 Likes

Excellent ‘seasoned’ information - thank you.

not sure how you are making sense. this is hosts interacting with one another. or is it just the misery experienced at others and the validation one gets from shared misery and that not happening that annoys you?

not all airbnb’ers are equal. if anyone bothered to read the lil bio, they would have intellectual curiosity to wonder and yes, lil ol me - one of highest revpar and $/sqft and $/br in each city i lived in during the time i was there…i do consider myself an elite host. not flash not 10br mansion…but just that if i had those id get highest ROI

just like i learned after a dear friend in a highrise i lived in begged me for my instruction/manual i leave for my guests as part of my 360 process (which involves no interaction…ive met only 4/150+ reservations)…

my hope is the community is losing hosts like myself whose HOA’s are interfering taking out my high ROI units at highest price (of all the data and correlations (and im an analyst by my training) the worst recipients are the lower demos and lower priced units…but that was just my 2nd of two condos i purchased and that most recent. and that was a 4.8 to give context of what i find unacceptable…my overall is a 4.98

and i took big condo off in Feb and small one off in June.

I did 150, wish i did 200.

I thank Airbnb for recognizing without saying, not all airbnb hosts are equal. There are superior and inferior. Lets protect the superior bc we are the drivers of the brand now. Pre-IPO - penetration, market share, as many bookings as possible…but 10 years…so how did they not implode before then with their shady tactics…which is so obvious: they never increased 3% fee. no other platform is comparable. thats $$. a lot. even 4, 5, 6, 7, 8…u know u would have accepted that. but they didnt. hence, its ur fault if ur surprised - by lack of due diligence or planning bc murphys law is …smart, by their lack of service on issues bc of what they allocated to spend money on…to get to this point…which means…since their IPO went up 150% from their intitial valuation: theyve done everything correctly. so…to those disgruntled…its time u realize…adapt, learn, stfu or leave. lots of platforms.

Irony much? Lol…

10 Likes