Miami Booking Issues

Wide angle lens maybe? If so, @MikeL355 should be careful about that as I’ve read some host say they’ve receive bad reviews for photos that make a space look bigger because guests are disappointed with the real thing.

I had a personal experience where a listing was much smaller than the photos showed and when I looked closely at the photos, the furniture had been moved in each of the photos in order to make it look bigger (the outlets on the walls gave it away). It was not Airbnb or I would’ve mentioned it in the review.

2 Likes

There’s a couple comments about this but to change is expensive.

What’s done is done but consider balancing things.

Food for thought
Instead of a tiny toilet paper holder place a narrow but substantial basket to not take up too much space but define spaces.

Yeah just an option on the iphone. But I know the space and it’s not making it look bigger, rather getting the whole room in one shot.

1 Like

I love bright. I love creative. I love tropical. The hall bath is a bit over the top even for me (which is hard to do). If the whole home had more of the brightness (maybe bright green palm & red accents but not to the point you start thinking Christmas) it might work. Otherwise it clashes with the serene neutrals throughout.

I love the wall paper. Sometimes a little goes a long way. Perhaps use it for an accent wall in the bathroom. I know that means painting over part of it.

Btw props to whomever hung that paper. Large pattern. Small room. Had to be tricky to match the pattern & work it in that small space. I’ll bet that paper would tear easily. Again props to the hanger.

I like it! I particularly that wild wallpaper that you’re getting grief over. There are some nice creative details that make it stand out to me. If you added a French Press or a stove-top Moka (cause I can’t stand Nespresso) and were dog friendly, I would book it.

Honestly, kids are harder than dogs on a place and you have those nice easy to clean floors and you don’t have to take every dog just to be dog friendly. I take dogs but I question the guests first and make sure that they’re responsible dog owners, it’s in my house rules and I’ve never had a bad doggie guest. And you don’t have to accept cats or anything other than dogs to be pet friendly.

I can’t imagine letting children into my listings. Too much fixing and cleaning up after them. Rather, dog owners are my best guests. Less than a quarter of the nearby listings are dog friendly so it would give you a significant advantage if you were willing to give it a try.

I would remove the plunger from the bathroom photo. You can put it back after the photo, it’s nice to have one but I don’t want to think about plungers while planning my vacation :smiley:

3 Likes

Yeah for sure, I love dogs. That’s not a problem for me.

2 Likes

Being dog friendly, I book when other places aren’t booking and I charge a premium price and still book when other places are booking. It’s worth a try since you’re open to it.

Thank you for your feed back. I wouldn’t do this in every space but I wanted it to be something out of the norm so people can have a fun vibe.

2 Likes

Let me preface my answer by saying that I am totally not your target market!!

The prices I was seeing on your listing varied from $330 in December to $620+ in spring. I have no strong opinion about whether or not that’s the right price for your place in your market.

If that is the going rate for Miami, though, I would just be inclined to look for a different destination. I’d be crossing a border anyways, so I’d probably look at Mexico or Cuba, Covid permitting.

I think KKC has probably hit the nail on the head that you’re just in a very competitive environment. You say you’re priced competitively, and I believe you. However, I checked ocean and near oceanfront hotels for Christmas week near you and I can get two rooms in the same general price range. So you’re not just competing with other STRs.

Looks lovely, and I would stay there. The toilet and wallpaper don’t bother me. You might want to adjust the off-kilter toilet photo by pulling down the shade to the level of the frosted panes, so it doesn’t look so exposed at the window, and putting a plant or nice fake plant on the left side of the windowsill to balance.

I wouldn’t say “never lived in or occupied” unless it’s new construction and no one truly ever lived there before it was an Airbnb. And that won’t be true for use as an Airbnb after your first guest anyway.

4 Likes

Your place is SUPER cute! Based on the feedback I thought it was going to be a little sucky (sorry :slight_smile: )

Please lose pic 3 (hall entering one of the master’s). No value add and it just looks odd.

The distortion of the pics gives me a bit of a headache to be honest. I try to align the top or side of a pic with a straight line (wall or ceiling) to make sure it is “level”.

I don’t hate the wallpaper but I think it clashes with the blue cabinet. White would be better, I think.

Those tree trunks cut into seats are super cool! Don’t just say “front of home”. Say something like “Beautiful front exterior with reclaimed wood seating for hanging out and enjoying the day!”, or something inviting like that.

You have lovely taste, @MikeL355! And you’re brave. I’ve yet to build up enough nerve to provide my link for critique. And I’m not booking well right now either (Austin, TX). I probably would if I’d allow dogs (have a large, private rear yard) but I have allergies and don’t know if I want to “go there”.

2 Likes

Ha ha thank you. I was nervous but I wanted help and I completely understand everyone’s different views it’s all good. Of course I like the design, I’m just concerned about not getting booked. Kinda need the income.

3 Likes

Definitely. Not a cohesive color combo at all. I’d repaint that cabinet something like seafoam green.

And I would use some tropical print throw pillow covers in the bedroom that bathroom is attached to, in similar colors to the wallpaper, or even stripes or solids, to tie the two rooms together. Maybe even one bedroom wall repainted in a color picked from the wallpaper.

Otherwise that bathroom, while I quite like that wallpaper, looks quite out of place compared to the rest of the house decor.

Ya’ll don’t understand. Those blue cabinets were the best quality to be found for the price on Costco.com. LOL.

Ha ha man you got me! The half bath is a darker mor dramatic space. It was very bright in the house that day. The cabinets almost look like a slate color in darker light. I didn’t want that room to look like any of the others.

I did the same. Wasn’t sure about blue but everyone says they like it. I have a much more neutral bath though

3 Likes

The other vanity was from Costco.com too

The vanity’s are a seriously good deal, great quality.

2 Likes

With the lights low

3 Likes

I think it looks great and I don’t mind the wild wallpaper in the bathroom because it’s Miami. I think you’re not getting bookings because you’re new and don’t have any reviews for this listing.

You might have to discount the rate just to get some bookings that will hopefully leave reviews.

1 Like