Low ratings from disgruntled and vindictive guest

This is exactly what happened to me after being a Superhost for several years. One, 1-star review (because Guest wanted me to rent him my Airbnb Guest Room permanently) and another by a Guest who decided he was going to break the rules and smoke on the property. He left in the middle of his reservation and demanded a refund. Mind you, I contacted Airbnb during his stay for advice on the issue. I do not think that Hosts should be penalized for Guests breaking rules and when confronted, retaliate by leaving a poor review. Why doesn’t Airbnb look at the other 60, 5-Star reviews as evidence of an excellent Host. This may not hurt a Host that is active all the time, but my listing is open on and off, so to this day, I still have not been able to recover from that last poor review and because of COVID and not being able to Host, I have not been able to regain my Superhost status. This response from Airbnb only allows bad Guests to get their way and move onto doing it again to another vulnerable Host.

1 Like

There are exceptions, but it seems like Air backs Guests regardless of rule breaking, etc at least 50% of the time. Perhaps much higher? Knock on wood, we have not had one yet but these C times are crazy and so many have issues - with Air taking the Guest’s side regardless.

When we re-open, it will be with a big push for bookings outside of Air and via Direct. It is only a matter of time before Air would screw us over, along with so many other hosts.

1 Like

Not always, I had a guest send a picture of an ant, that’s right one ant, to Airbnb saying my house was full of ants demanding a refund and Airbnb actually sided with me. I was shocked and happy.

3 Likes

Just curious - how long ago did this happen?

Simply put airbnb couldnt care less about hosts.

They charge 15% to guest and 3% to hosts so their customers and income come from guests. Plus there are plenty of hosts to replace you.

The system is increasingly being stacked against hosts. I tried to use their ‘report user’ tab (report guest with false identity) and you can only report hosts through the pull down menus!

They didnt want to know.

3 Likes

Why would they receive an unfavorable review for some forgotten marijuana left?

I’ve no idea, it was @Katrina who mentioned it.

The reality is that, depending on the quality of the weed, they’d be more likely to get a good review from me if they left it behind!

:wink:

JF

4 Likes

Oh sorry! Thank you! I’m glad I’m not the only one who sees the same picture. :wink: I would have thought it was a tip!

3 Likes

I don’t understand. Why they would get an unfavorable review for leaving a small bit of marijuana behind?

2 Likes

Yes the left a bag of it-my cleaning lady said it was low grade- hummmm

So, you are giving them a bad review because they left marijuana or because it was low grade? Those poor people. First, they leave their weed behind, then they face a negative review from you AND then we come to find that their weed was low grade? Haven’t they suffered enough?

6 Likes

You left me some weed, but neglected to leave any rolling papers? 1*.

2 Likes

Maybe they left some brownie mix.

1 Like

I read a host’s story where she had a young Chinese male guest in her rural cabin on the property where she lives. He called her a few minutes after he arrived, saying there were bugs in the place. She was flummoxed, as she’d just finished cleaning and came right over to find him cowering in a corner and he pointed a shaking finger at the windowsill, where there were 2 ladybugs. He wasn’t scamming for a refund, he was literally terrified and left shortly after. But he did leave a review saying the place was “full of bugs”.

The fees Airbnb charge are at the lower end of the scale compared to other listing companies for hosts and guests .

Personally I haven’t had a situation where Airbnb has sided with a guest over me.

If you want to report a guest I would give Airbnb a call.

1 Like

If that was the only thing they did it would be different but also having 12 additional visitors show up make alot of noise and scare the neighbors was a choice the registered guest made. I would not want this to happen to someone else. BTW, marijuana is illegal in our state.

I don’t think the marijuana is relevant if all they did was leave it behind.

It was a choice the guest made? On the other hand, how did you or your co-host allow it to happen?

1 Like

The guest was the one who invited the extra visitors over. I did not “allow” it to happen- he knew it was against house rules.

House rules are one thing - and possibly something that a guest won’t read. But, assuming you’re a remote host, why didn’t your co-host prevent it? Especially ‘scaring the neighbours’.

1 Like

Do not have a co-host yet. I am still very new to this and have only hosted (5) times. As soon as I saw the visitors via the camera system I immediately called the guest and told him the visitors would have to leave. He said they were just there for him to change clothes and they were going out. 2 Hrs. later they went out. I did not go over there because of the man walking around in the back yard with a gun in his hand.