Low ratings for location?

I looked at your listing - even if you’ve gotten low ratings from the last few people it is not showing on your star ratings - they appear to be 5 stars for all categories. So as painful as it is to you personally, it’s not hurting you overall.

I liked that your top paragraph told potential guests how far away you are from the things guests need. This is useful information - if anyone bothers to read it. When I look at my own listing on my phone, this information is truncated and the pictures are given priority. Consider adding the information as captions to your photos if you really want guests to see it.

Boy we got off on a tangent… I mean… ooops… the thread veered off course… :blush:

Had to share pics of my son, then 12 (but looks younger) at Harrods. He continually dragged me there to look at all the stuffed pets.(Location-- 3rd Floor), And I was eventually persuaded by this same son to buy a small (and I mean small–it was still 20 pounds) pet. Fast forward, this son is now away at college studying in Japan for a year, and I have no idea what happened to this pet he could not live without. In his closet somewhere. But o the memories! Miss him so much. :cry:

Harrods is fun… ONCE, LOL. Although I love the lower level as well.

Here’s my son at Harrods picking out his pet. Mind you the big ones are too pricey for his mum to fork over for.

Then showing me his pet by Ennismore.

And here he is with the real deal at Hyde Park.

3 Likes

laterbacon,
I would not worry about that type of comment since you are not going to move your place and you have already given the distance to the local city. My listing is called “Comfy Room on Horse Farm” which would indicate that I am out in the country and I have had location comments as well. One review said that it was a far drive to get anywhere. It is doubtful that a horse farm is going to be a real handy place to live for shopping, nightlife, etc. I have even had people ask about public transportation going past the house!

If someone wants to be in the middle of the action, then they are probably not going to have peace and quiet, which is what people look for when they stay here.  I would say to just worry about what you have control over. Many people do not read the descriptions we have taken pains to write. So good luck!

@twoworlds I don’t know if others see your second paragraph not ‘auto-wrap’, like I do. I just stumbled on the reason, I think. If one indents the start of a paragraph more than 3 spaces, it will not ‘auto-wrap’. Thought I would pass that odd feature along, in case others have experienced the same thing.

Thank you for letting me know. I didn’t realize that was happening.

Wow what a nice place! And an amazing price! I’d love to stay there. Looks very quiet, relaxing.

We get that a lot too even though our listing explicitly indicates distances to places including downtown.

The most surprising was an air host from another country who said she had thought our listing was in the center of downtown. Even though we are accurately reflected on the map and distances indicated.
I could forgive that confusion from a random guest, but from an experienced host?

Anyway, part of the problem seemed to be when people read the title of my listing as central location (which it is) they presume we are in the middle of downtown.
So anyway, I’ve changed that and tried to bring more attention to the times to different places and highlighted the fact that they are driving times and NOT walking times.

Hopefully I’ll get less location dings! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Kona those pics are so cute. Kids seem to love Harrods gods knows why as its crazy in there. Yes I think everyone ends up buying a stuffed toy from there usually it’s a harrods teddy bear with the uniform.

As for fortnum & mason that is a lovely shop (should be as it supplies the queen). I love the ground floor best with gorgeous luxury food. Always pick up a jar of honey when there that’s made by their own bees who actually live in hives on the top of the building.

And just to make you all jealous, I went to m & s today for of course knickers then a trip to their lovely food court for some serious self spoiling.

Also had a trip up the shard for lunch (one of London’s newer attractions) views from the 70th floor were pretty cool. Thought I’d put a terrible iPhone pic up of tower bridge, Tower of London & hms belfast.

4 Likes

Just fabulous, Lou, and I am totally jealous of your knicker shopping expedition. Love the photo!! Will check that out next time I go!

Last time I was in London, my dear schoolmate reunited with me and took us to the top of the Tate Modern where we had an outstanding cup of tea and a wonderful view like this. Later in the day after traipsing all over Soho, we popped by the Criterion for another lovely cup of tea. Nothing like a local to show you around! So nice to meet you. x

Yeah, it comes with the territory. There’s no pleasing some people. I am in the most amazing location in Sydney. Right near the harbour, on the same block as chic shops, restaurants and cafes, yet because the room is set back from the street and surrounded by big trees, it’s amazingly quiet.

I have had 3 groups give me 3 stars for location - the rest were 5 star. I suspect some guests see the 5 stars for location and don’t bother to check it’s near where they want to be. One wanted to visit the Olympic Stadium which is over an hour from us, the other complained about the 5 minute walk to the train station (the ferry is a 2 minute walk and takes you to the city in 10 minutes and you breeze past the iconic Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House). So, the point I’m making is there will just be no satisfying some guests when it comes to location.

When I get bookings that say “Hi, coming to Sydney to visit friends” I’ll always ask where the friends live. If they say Hurstville, I let them know it will be an hour on public transport and not easy to get to. Definitely not 5 star location if that’s the purpose of their stay.

Hope that helps. Somewhat. Good luck and welcome to the infuriating world of trying to decipher guest reviews :grinning:

I’ve posted this here before but I think all of us can sympathise with Basil Fawlty from the 1970s TV programme.

Mrs. Richards: When I pay for a room with a view, I expect something more interesting than that.
Basil: That is Torquay, madam.
Mrs. Richards: Well it’s not good enough.
Basil: Well, may I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically…?

5 Likes

Followed memorably by "Might I suggest,that you move to a hotel closer to the sea? … Or preferably in it?"
I’d love to channel my inner Basil with some guests …

1 Like

I also identify with this Basil rant:

‘This is typical. Absolutely typical… of the kind of… ARSE I have to put up with from you people! You ponce in here, expecting to be handwaited on hand and foot while I’m trying to run a hotel here! Have you any idea of how much there is to do? Do you ever think of that? Of course not! You’re all too busy sticking your noses into every corner, poking around for things to complain about, aren’t you? Well, let me tell you something—this is exactly how Nazi Germany started! A lot of layabouts with nothing better to do than to cause trouble! Well, I’ve had fifteen years of pandering to the likes of you, and I’ve had enough! I’ve had it! Come on, pack your bags and get out!’

1 Like

Tate modern is very cool not been for a few years but you’ve reminded me I should return. I went to a Damien hirst thing there once which had a room full of butterflies flying around. It was brilliant fun as my partner is terrified of them so spent the whole time randomly ducking & bumping into other people, too funny. :slight_smile: nice to meet you too kona :slight_smile:

Back to the location thing I had my first 3 star recently. Was speechless.

1 Like

Think I know roughly where you are in Sydney & can’t believe you are getting less than 5 stars for location. Ridiculous.

sent you a PM Lou! …

Thanks for the replies everyone - I’ve taken @EllenN’s suggestion and changed the title to include the quiet neighborhood instead of the distance to the city. It does make me feel better to know that this is a common thing though…

1 Like

Yep most of us will get this at some point & it totally sucks because it’s out of your control.

The location “ding” is just puzzling. The guest that is doing the dinging is the one who chose the location. Do they think the house will migrate closer to whatever it is that they wish to be close to? Some days my house will migrate closer to the subway; another day it will shimmy towards to markets; other days it will meander down the hill towards the pubs to make it easier to get back to the house after having a few drinks? Maps are not that unclear. The house is within that blue circle. If you don’t want to be in that blue circle, move along!

I seriously wish that Location would change to Location: Is the location as described. That is actually a really valid question since the map doesn’t show hills, etc., or that a particular street is noisy or very busy.

5 Likes