Looking for source small quantities of "sanitation" bags for clean drinking glasses

It’s not something I’d do for my rental.

1 Like

All I meant was that we need to be “cleaning nutty” to do a good job. My wife and I have a standing joke that if we kept the upstairs of our house (where we live) as obsessively clean as the downstairs (Airbnb), our family and friends would organize an intervention and send us to re-hab.

4 Likes

Not hard to clean once I figured out the right tool – I clean it manually for a minute or two with a bottle brush before putting it in the dishwasher every time guests change. That sucker is sterile by the time it goes back into the cleaned bathroom.

How does one sanitize a glass and keep it sanitized while wrapping it in a bag?

…edited to add;

Initially the point I was making was that the term ‘sanitized’ is pretty meaningless. But on reflection, I’m going to venture that the reason those bags were adopted had nothing to do with hotel guests’ peace of mind, but were brought in to streamline the job of housekeeping… if the glass was still in the bag, it could be left for the next guest. Otherwise every glass in every room had to be washed.

I’m sure you wash every glass every time.

I always wear disposable nitrile gloves when handling clean dishes (incl bathroom stuff ceramics) for the Airbnb. I figure a single fingerprint in the wrong place would undo all the other work we do to super-clean the property.

I don’t use individually wrapped tp rolls, but I never leave partially used rolls and the first piece comes glued down, so guests can tell no one has used it.

1 Like

This all seems a bit over the top. I agree with @muddy though - that it’s pretty easy to rinse a glass (which I do every time in a hotel or rental) despite a note saying that it’s sanitised.

I’d rather not add anything to the apartments that I’m going to throw away after each guest.

I once stayed at a rather grim motel in Daytona. It was late at night and we were desperate to find somewhere for the night.

The loo had one of those paper strips across it saying ‘sanitised for your protection’. There were several cockroaches crawling on it…

7 Likes

We decided a long time ago to err on the side of “over the top” when it came to cleaning.

Of course you and I can always rinse a glass – but I don’t want my guests to think even for an instant that they need to, and I certainly don’t want them wondering if the ceramic toothbrush holder has “cooties” from the previous guests.

In any case – I didn’t start this thread to try and convince other hosts to do this or suggest they should… or to canvass others about whether I should do so. I started it because I’m looking for a source of inexpensive bags in small quantities.

Somebody made a reference in this discussion that led me to think of Michaels, and they may well have what I’m looking for… so (hopefully) mission accomplished – I think I’ve found what I was looking for.

1 Like

I have to tell my “toothbrush holder” story. I think I’ve told this before here.

The one minor (but hilarious) episode involving our Airbnb guests. One of them mistakenly thought that this signed, numbered, dated, and hand-crafted art glass vase, with gold leaf inside, was on the bathroom counter as a toothbrush holder. It was, after all, the perfect size.

No damage done.

Virgil carefully removed the toothbrush and put it in a plastic cup.

And we howled.

We told our guest about it later. She howled, too.

We exchanged that vase for another one that’s pretty, is far too large for a toothbrush, and is quite a bit less prestigious.

3 Likes

Sorry I don’t agree. I’ve been hosting for six years as a host and co-host. Not one guest has ever marked me down on cleanliness because I haven’t provided wrappers for drinking glasses.

3 Likes

Very lovely vase and a good lesson not to put precious things in an Airbnb. Guests might use anything for any purpose.

However, I have never understood the concept of vases as purely decoration. If they have flowers in them, or maybe some ostrich feathers, okay, but just an empty vase? Just seems like a dust collector to me.

1 Like

You’re not an art glass collector. I am.

This was a very early mistake for us. Our second guest, I think.

1 Like

No, I’m not an art glass collector, but I have had some art glass pieces. It’s just not something I’d leave in an Airbnb, and aside from art on the walls, I personally like even beautiful, precious objects to have a purpose, not just be purely decorative.

I wouldn’t expect them to… with either you or me.

On the other hand, twice this summer I’ve had guests who were checking in and had been in the suite for a only a couple minutes – just long enough to do an initial walk-through – say to me (unprompted) “This place is so clean…” They didn’t mention covers on bathroom glasses, but the covers are one small part of the cleanliness they are reacting to.

In any case – I’m not trying to be a missionary for this idea. It makes sense to me, but not to other hosts who find their own way to five-star SuperHost ratings. The whole point of Airbnb is diversity of thinking.

I was just going to respond to Helsi’s comment in much the same way. It’s like hosts saying that guests perceive white sheets as clean. I use colored sheets and I seem to recall Helsi does, too, and we have never had guests express any doubt that they weren’t clean.

As long as hosts don’t try to tell other hosts what they should do in those regards, as if their ideas are some kind of fact, who cares what other hosts do?

BTW, many of my guests say, “Wow, it’s so nice and so clean” when I show them to their room, and comment in reviews about the cleanliness, and I’ve never gotten less than a 5* review. Even with colored sheets and no glass wrappers. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But I do believe that a guest walking into a place and thinking it’s super clean can set the tone for the stay. If a guest finds grunge or hairs somewhere, they are much more likely to look for other things to complain about.

BINGO!

We invest in cleanliness and in creating a spectacular flower garden for them to walk through on their way to the front door upon arrival for just that reason. If they love their first few minutes they cut slack for minor transgressions (like the spider two weeks ago) that might otherwise become the defining moment.

2 Likes

It’s always interesting to hear other perspectives. Almost all of us are self-taught amateur innkeepers… with blind spots

Oh, I agree, I enjoy reading what other hosts do, and we can think it’s a great idea and adopt it ourselves, or think it’s pointless.

I just don’t like it when hosts say things like, “You must use white linens, otherwise guests won’t think they’re clean”, as if it were some indisputable fact.

Do you even have to leave glasses out for the guests? My DH and I debated this for a long time (he wanted the disposable paper cups; I said they were a waste) and we finally compromised on not leaving a glass in the bathroom or bedroom at all. Glasses are in the kitchen cabinets and guests can get one and take it to the bedroom/bathroom. I bought these for that purpose: Restaurant drinking glasses
They are pretty cheap and dishwasher safe and pretty unbreakable.

3 Likes

I leave a glass or mug in my guest room simply because I’m a home share host. Guests do have use of my kitchen, I just think it’s convenient to start them off with that and a container of drinking water in their room, as the kitchen is downstairs and they might not have thought to grab a glass before going up to bed.

If it’s a whole house listing, they could go get a glass in the night stark naked if they wanted, but not in a homeshare.

I think it’s just a matter of making things convenient for the guest. Like having a plug near the bed where they can charge up their phone. Sure, there’s plugs all over the house they could use for that, but it makes things easier for them to have one close to the bed.

I used to have only one phone charger for my own phone, and when I’d go up to bed, would sometimes realize my phone was almost dead, then have to traipse downstairs again to get the charger. Now I keep a second one in my bedside drawer.