Looking for Advice RE: Medium Term Rentals. <—- I Made That Up

WOW! I have to site back and do the monthly bookings much better next time. !!! On Air we can’t collect the deposit, so I need to move folks over to my web site. My Host just quit, I’m 400 miles from my property, so I am scrambling right now. Need to get a cleaner and maybe another Host, but both are in short supply.

I was 1200 miles away, but my mom is a local real estate investor. She handled check-in, cleaning, and repairs. I handled the marketing, money and contracts. Check with local real estate agents for property management.

If you have a good utility history, add it to your rent and include the utilities, but cap the amount you’ll cover. Since electric was the only utility not covered by my HOA, my average winter bill was $35 and my average summer was $125. Letting your renter know your averages and that most people don’t exceed it (once you have the history) will help. I always assured my renters that if they we used the a/c as if they were paying the bill ( i.e., turn it up or off when you’re away), then there shouldn’t be an issue.

I also refunded the deposit promptly after inspecting the apartment and checking electric usage - NEVER more than one week. I asked my guests when reviewing to comment on the quick deposit return. This gave prospective guests a great comfort level with the deposit.

Establish a rapport with your current tenant, there may be other trades on the job that need similar accommodations.

Best of luck!

1 Like

Hi, funny enough, when i put out a request on a forum for a Host, I did have a real estate lady who replied. she said that she’d have to be rained and that’s when i said no because i just couldn’t imagine the time that it would take to train her. looking back it wouldn’t be as much of a problem because she would, in reality, function as a property manager. anyway, i have someone else with experience who has offered to be my Host.
I am editing my Rental Agreement to make sure that I include my terms for Long-term rentals. Your suggestions have been wonderful and time-saving. I can’t thank you enough.

2 Likes

www.airbnb.com/sublet page is now working properly (not just a landing page any more.) It takes you to all the 30+ listings available for your chosen location/dates, not just the regular search page as it did before…