Looking for Advice RE: Medium Term Rentals. <—- I Made That Up

If you are in USA, Zillow offers FREE (yes-FREE) rental listings for bookings of 30 days or more.

There are 4 Zillow apps
Zillow real estate for buy/sell/rent/recent activity
Zillow rental for seeking a rental
Zillow rental manager for listing rental property
Zillow owner for market updates about your property

You can require your rental meet minimum requirements like
-Credit score of 600 or more
-Must provide references from prior landlord or letter from real estate agent of pending sale or verification of job transfer
-your HOA or a Realtor friend may can help you with paperwork & an agency to do the background check.

Here’s a listing by a clever owner for monthly & short term rentals.

5 Likes

Oh, and to add, I have boxes to be checked for certain amenities. Since doing the STR furnished I also added several lines for various furniture and durable, non-consumable items - basically anything I would expect they would pay for if they took it or it got damaged.

2 Likes

Wow - I had no idea that Denver had cracked down like this. It really puts property owners in a bind.

Check with Housing Helpers. I worked w/ them several times. They act as an agent for your property, essentially reselling the rental - you have an agreement w/ HH, with all of your requirements, they flow down the rental to their client, marking up your rental rate. The last person I worked w/ there was Brittany Wagner, in their S. Denver office. Not sure if she is still there.

I would also drop off flyers with your local realtors, if the competition is still fierce in Denver for buyers, they may be able to connect you w/ their clients.

I’ll look through my old records to see if I can find the Travel Nursing group that I use to work with. Contact St. Joe’s to see if they have any housing asst. and I think St. Luke’s has a facility near St. Joe’s. I would also check w/ Metro State and DU Grad school for housing boards. DU is where I found a professional soccer player training for the summer.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

I know airbnb offers calendar options for “medium term rentals” but I thought they rolled out a special longer term sublet section? I’m not finding it though. Maybe I dreamed this?

1 Like

You didn’t dream it. I believe it’s www.airbnb.com/sublet

2 Likes

Thanks @Chloe. I’m a little stumped though. I put in my city (Denver), starting date, then chose “2 months” from the drop down menu. Then it just took me to a normal airbnb search page, asking for my dates (and not by 30 day increments), etc. In other words it was just as though I never went to the sublet section at all.

Also, any clue on a host signs up for this? Or do guests just find these listings by default when they put in these longer stay dates?
:face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I experienced the same. I think it is just a landing page to market to that subset because normally people don’t think about Airbnb for those situations out of the gate.

1 Like

Thanks I was just about to ask about zillow (I may still on a new thread). But this is very helpful!

1 Like

That’s silly that there are useless dropdown menus! What’s the point? Confusing…

Here’s a headache don’t know about where you are but here in Europe if you let to people for 40 days or more they become a tenant. If they choose to go nutcase on you and don’t move out. There’s nothing you can do. They can start getting mail delivered to your address and saying they live there even with no agreement. evicting them will be a nightmare you have to go to court to do it. A few of my friends learnt this the hard way.

Same in the USA @Donna_Jack, but they only need to stay for 30 days before they achieve tenant’s rights.

1 Like

Its 30 days here too, that was a typo. scary stuff. even if you have a friend to stay over and they overstay their welcome, and make cash contributions to groceries etc, that can be considered rent.

I found that travel nurses are cheap and expect you to reduce your rent because they are a nurse and a “premium tenant” (thats what they think. I have had many inquiries from nurses, not one wanted to pay the price! (And it wasn’t even that expensive)

Hi, I am ALWAYS open to any advice! I have rented for a month to 4 guys who are contractors for a company. All is going well. I have a rental agreement that they signed with no problem. My only concern is that I didn’t mention having to pay utilities in the Hose Rules nor is it mentioned in the agreement. I have Ecobee and monitor the heat/air- I even set up a “schedule” to change the temp., but if I send a request for payment of utilities, they could say no to the request…??

I’d think you are going to have to eat that. If I rent a short term rental place I expect utilities are included, and absolutely with it not in the rental agreement they signed. If they want to extend or return you can change the rules then but not ex post facto.

1 Like

Hi, I hate to appear stupid, but what do you mean when you “set a limit” on electricity? Also- did you really charge $5,000.00 for a deposit???

Yes, I will have to eat the utilities. The good news is that they are working from 6am-6pm. I can control the heat/air, and just hope that they don’t do alot of laundry. I called the guest and mentioned cleaning for them, and he said to just add the fee to the charges, so they are clearly not worried about expenses. Why does the damn lesson always involve money??? waaaa…

1 Like

I gave them an electric allowance of $150. All other utilities, including heat were part of my HOA fees. If the bill was over $150, I sent a copy of the bill and collected additional rent due the following calendar month or deducted from their deposit if they were moving out before another month of rent was due.

Yes, I really collected $5k security deposit, it was never an issue.

1 Like

Well in that case if the utilities are exceptionally high then I might say something and see if they will chip in. OTOH, it sounds like a good easy booking at a time that slows down for most folks in North America.

2 Likes

Hiya, yes, October was horrible- NO BOOKINGS! that’s a first for me. My House Rules say excessive utility use will be charged. I would like them back, I think, as long as the house looks ok when they leave…lol!

2 Likes