Long Term Booking

Maybe they should go to Poland too! :smiley:

1 Like

I can just imagine the reviews at this place

I would be feeling a lot worse after hearing all of that. Did you ask proper questions before they rented the space, if so I cannot imagine how this booking proceeded? [quote=“Scullard89, post:32, topic:10182”]
The Airbnb fellow also said that they would “step in if she and her boyfriend do decide to squat.” - not sure what that means.
[/quote]

Given you don’t know what this means, and didn’t ask it seems, you are seeming, IMHO, more and more in over your head and need competent legal advice now, not rely on what one person at a call centre for ABB said. They certainly don’t have any authority to bypass the laws of hundreds of years and I guarantee will be focused primarily on themselves and the guests, not providing legal help to you.

1 Like

LOL! Skid Row and LA probably go to the bottom. (Sorry LA!). India is also not a favourite, for the same reasons as LA. I couldn’t handle the poverty I saw on the streets.

All time favourite is probably still New Zealand. Simply breathtaking… I remember eating a burger by the river in Queenstown and wondering if life could be any better.

Wow Kona I had no idea that you’d also taken such a big life jump! Not to be sexist but when women strike out on their own I find it hugely inspiring…

Air said they’d support in the event of overstaying. So my question to air would be : how will
you do so ? What procedure will you (Airbnb) be following in the event I call you and report the guest has overstayed…

Oregon Tenant Rights. “You may have a lease for a specific time — often six months or one year. This time period is called the term of a lease. The valid parts of your lease will determine when it can be terminated or renewed. During the term of your lease, neither you nor your landlord can terminate the lease without cause, unless your lease states otherwise. Your landlord may end the tenancy during the term for non-payment of rent, serious violations of the lease, or for intentional dangerous behavior as described before.”

So our term lease is for 41days. - after 41days lease is up.
“In that situation, the tenant would be expected to move at the end of the term without notice.”

No you’re conflating two things - Airbnb and tenancy rights in Oregon. What you need to determine is at what point someone has tenancy rights in Oregon …, it could be 14 days it could be 30.

In the UK it needs to be a minimum of 6 months - so even if I had a guest stay 3 months they wouldn’t have a tenancy, they would be covered under Airbnb’s contractual terms which state specially they are not tenants.

I’m trying to explain they don’t automatically get a tenancy just because they booked via Airbnb. There will be a specific amount of time that they must be in your property before the law views them as a tenant.

I just realized that’s what you’re asking. I’m looking it up on the Law website right now. :slight_smile:

One of my oldest friends and her husband emigrated to Dunedin 8 years ago. She urged me to look into it before I turned 55. At the time I had no interest as I was sure the demand for US government teachers there would be low. LOL. Now it’s too late and given the current climate here my interest is piqued.

I stayed in Kracow for 6 nights in 2009. I can’t recall how much my apartment just outside the central tourist zone was but I could have easily lived there many months.

It wouldn’t hurt to make the call. As I said (I worked for big law firms while I was in college) make the call and ask to speak to an attorney. They won’t usually charge you just to assess whether you have a case or not. I can tell you if someone like this had called our law firm, nearly every one there except maybe the partners, would have taken the time to talk to them.

Just so you are ready with like the 3-day notice or whatever the process is in Oregon

2 Likes

Once money is exchanged for rent tenant rights begin.

No… The Air agreement won’t protect you. They are talking about long term tenants there.
So essentially… it’s already happened. Your guests, just by virtue of staying 30 days, have acquired tenants’ rights. Except you don’t have an agreement with them. The fact that they stayed longer than 30 days gives them legal status as tenants and therefore they are entitled to due process. They don’t realize it I bet though, so don’t tell them!

I just did a quick internet search for tenancy rights in Oregon. In order for tenancy rights to begin immediately a contract would have to have been signed between you and your tenant in order to establish a ‘landlord-tenant relationship’. Did you do that ? I assume that you live in the property too? Again this relationship can only exist when a tenant rents the whole property. I thought you also lived in the property? If you do then your guests are only ever going to be lodgers…

The legal differences between tenants and Airbnb guests is an important one to understand… it does seem to me like you at the very least need to be clear on the differences between tenants, guests and lodgers.

1 Like

LONG term tenants rights do. Please! read through our thread and the squatters thread. And call a lawyer, like I said. Best case scenario, they move out. Worse, they play it. But they have to know what they are doing… file the right papers…

No just all through Airbnb - you must be a better googler than me I was having a hard time searching. There is a free resource in the area about tenant rights I’ll call them on Monday. - They have only been here about 12 days so far.

You don’t have to google… It’s all on the thread I posted earlier! Lots of resources. This lady was in the SAME circumstance as you… a woman and child in her house. Exact same.

If you call a lawyer, they will tell you the Air agreement means nothing now!

Let’s hope they leave on their own!

1 Like

I’m reading that thread now :slight_smile:

https://www.osbar.org/public/legalinfo/tenant.html

No!! Let’s not give her legal advice! They become TENANTS… They are not lodgers!
Read through our thread…

Scullard, I should add you to our private thread, which continues where that one left off. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!
Look for the notification in green…

I don’t think your situation will be like hers because that squatter was a pro and knew what papers to file, how to extend it. Even with a lawyer… it took a while to get that horrible woman out.