Letting people in before check in time?

Yes, I got the 1st night + 50% of their booking, and the payout from the guests who arrived yesterday. Whew. I was pretty surprised that both came through.

3 Likes

Moderate. I just checked, and their profile is deactivated now. So looks like they won’t get to review me. It’s my lucky day!

5 Likes

Brilliant! You stuck to your guns and got a positive ending, with knobs on.

2 Likes

Wow that’s really crazy town

2 Likes

They were jerks. The wife came into the house looking down at the floor and didn’t even say hi to us when they arrived. We ended up giving them half the money back eventually.

Hi RiverRockRetreat,

I just added the fee but I had already committed to two guests back-to-back for early check-ins before I added the fee. Guess what - After I rushed to get the suite ready, both guests came after my normal check-in time without bothering to let me know and without them thanking me. I dinged them both 1 star for communication.

Then I got a got a guest who did an instant book but wanted an early check in without checking with me ahead of time. I had added the fee to my listing by then so he was upset. Then I found out he was using the suite to take model photos in the 4 poster bed and I told him I would not give him copyright permission. He decided to cancel but was angry that he would only get back his cleaning fee (Strict cancellation booked 2 days before use).

Airbnb has the nerve to say I should consider giving his money back because maybe he could be a future guest. I have now twice pointed out to Airbnb that I think he may be using the suite for non-approved usage but they are still trying to get me to refund. It’s so frustrating that as hosts we follow the rules but still face the penalties. I have now added added no commercial use to my listing. (I found a few treads on this topic on the forum for these types of photoshoots. Lynick

2 Likes

Do you have it in your house rules? Mine is and it’s much easier to respond ‘I’m upset with your communication on this issue as you confirmed you agreed to the house rules when you booked but are now pressuring me to alter the contract? Perhaps you should contact Airbnb to let them know you’ve changed your mind?’

Per RiverRock’s suggestion I added it but not until the 2nd guest had books. I only could use it on the third guest who got upset and cancelled and then files a complaint against me. It now says there is a fee but I like mentioning the house rules too and will add to the save message.

I try and make the fee look like a benefit, all about the guest give them what they want! SHould you like to sleep in on your last day late check out, if available can be arranged for a fee…

RR

2 Likes

I had a load of “please consider refunding guests” from air C services. Reconsidered, still no refund. Please reconsider again. I did. Same answer … strict refund policy is exactly that !!

2 Likes

Some people cannot predict when they will arrive. I am one of them. Especially when there is a lot of traveling involved.

If a guest is coming in and I am tied up or asleep, it’s easy to check themselves in. We can meet up in an hour or so or the next morning. The other guests are expecting them.

However if they are running 4 hours or more late without notice, I am concerned. Usually things are fine, but it’s a gentle discussion at a calmer moment.

There is always something to do while waiting. But if I am busy, I do what I need to do.

Guests initiate a deal when they book. They are renting from time x to time z. More hours on either end constitute another day’s rental. If they want to show up at 9AM, they need to book the previous night. Same with late check out. Book another day and leave when you.

Left luggage is a pain, but that means about the same thing as early check in and I would actually need to be there as well as any liability assumed. Booking another day and self check in allows them to leave luggage as early as they like. Of course it’s only an issue for those who don’t rent a car and use Uber or mass transit.

1 Like

Our check in time is 4pm (check out is 11 am); that gives our cleaner a 5 hour window to flip the house. We very frequently get requests for early check in.

If we can accommodate it, we typically do; usually when we’re not doing a same day out and in.

People value it and let us know in our public and private reviews. Our guests are doing us a huge favor by choosing our property over all the competing properties for their stay. We are by no means the only option–in fact, there are probably 5 homes on our street all on the beach like our home. Having owned and managed service businesses before, I recognize that providing exceptional service is the key to success. Treating requests from guests as some kind of burden and inconvenience is not.

Everybody can do their own thing. My goal is to maximize the revenue I get from our property on Airbnb. And, in my mind, making my guests delighted with their entire experience is a critical part. Having an overall rating of 5 stars, and making superhost on our first review, says we’re doing something right.

2 Likes

You have articulated this so well. I often feel that I’ve been in the minority on this board by offering flexible checkin / checkout times.

I was shocked when I read an experienced host say “there is no reason to being nice, because it is not appreciated.”

Hospitality is synonymous with being nice

When possible, if I can offer something that costs me nothing, I’ve already started to help the guest formulate a positive FIRST IMPRESSION. Combining that (when possible) with offering a guest a late checkout affords me another opportunity to provide a positive LAST IMPRESSION.

Excellent customer service and listening to guests differentiate a listing in an ever crowded market.

2 Likes

The SUPER POLL I once made on check-in, check-out and other things clearly showed that you’re not in the minority :wink:. It’s not because some people shout louder that all of a sudden they represent any kind of majority.
Many people do offer flexibility if the situation practically allows for it.

3 Likes

It really doesn’t matter what other hosts do. What matters is that you host in a way that works for you and your circumstances.

Yes if we can be flexible we should. However guests who agree a check in time with a host and then are considerably later or earlier are just being plain rude.

Some hosts can’t be as flexible as you can.This doesn’t mean they are not hospitable or offering excellent customer service. Many of us have gain superhost status within the first quarter, without being able to offer a 24/7 check in.

I wouldn’t agree that hospitality is about being ‘nice’. I think it’s about providing a great service, managing your listing professionally, meeting and exceeding customer expectations, good communication etc.

And don’t be shocked at the experienced host you quoted - have you read her other posts ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’d like to think that you’re not. When we can, we are flexible and and guests appreciate it.

We hear of “entitled guests” so often it’s making we wonder about how many “entitled hosts” there are on Airbnb?

JF

2 Likes

On this thread and the one about entitled guests who demand refunds I’m thinking the crux of the issue is control. The host wants to control their property, the guest wants to control their life. The most successful host is the one that can manage to enforce their policies (and why have them if you aren’t going to enforce them?) and make the guest feel like they were treated fairly and maybe even give them the illusion of control.

Here’s a typical sounding reply of mine to a request for early check in: “Sorry I can’t allow early check in as I’m working alone and need the full 4 hours to ensure that your room meets my 5 star standard of cleanliness. However luckily I sometimes have guests who depart early and that gives me more time. I will message you on your arrival day If the room is ready before 3pm.”

I can’t recall a single time that I haven’t let a guest arrive early but I always say no first to maintain the illusion of “I am in control.”

Just the other day I had a guy book for 30 and 31 of Dec for a wedding and tell me he’ll be “checking out around brunch time.” My check out is 11 am but the message just had that vibe of he’s telling me when he will check out as opposed to following my rule. But rather than get my knickers in a twist I replied “I don’t know when brunch is for you. New York gay brunch is at 3pm and that is way too late. I know you will probably be up late on NYE so I can let you check out at noon.” Now I feel I’ve used humor to re-establish boundaries and maintain control. He didn’t ask for late check out but I gave it to him in anticipation of him asking/needing. Win-win.

As for Superhost being some kind of badge of doing things right, I respectfully disagree. There’s a bunch of us here who have had it since our first quarter. It’s just not that hard to maintain and it’s not a measure of anything other than ability to meet Airbnb’s arbitrary standard. There are also good hosts who don’t have the designation for legit reasons like not hosting often enough (I thank @PitonView for reminding me of that).

6 Likes

I completely agree with everything you’ve said. Very astute post!

Like @johnbro27, I actually highlight luggage drop-off/leave on my listing because it’s something I am able to do and it gives me an edge in a hugely competitive area. However, I do state that it is ‘by negotiation’ and will “bargain” a time that suits me even if I can do earlier/later. I would never have said I was maintaining “control” over my place but reading your post @KKC, I realise that’s exactly what I’m doing and why I don’t get stressed by guests anymore!