Legal Weed & Airbnb

I have a vacation rental (whole house) in a state that just legalized recreational marijuana. I’m anticipating that this may be an attraction in the near future, especially because it’s less than half an hour from 2 non-recreational states, and just over an hour from 2 more. I’d like to let guests partake, but I definitely don’t want to give the impression that it’s a party house. There won’t be any retail stores for at least a year in my state, but as of next month it becomes legal for adults to carry up to an ounce and “gift” that amount to another person (without payment). I’m just curious as to how other hosts in legalized states have handled this.

2 Likes

Super interesting question. I would rather people smoke week than cigarettes in my place, but right now I ask that they smoke neither.

1 Like

Hello fellow Californian. It’s going to be very interesting to see this new legislation take effect. As a host I don’t want any smoking of any kind in the house. I’d like to go farther and say no tobacco smokers–even if they don’t smoke in the house or outside–because they smell awful and it hangs in the air and it oozes from their pores so whatever they touch smells too.

But it could be a draw for some to be able to smoke pot at least in your backyard, I guess. They can also just stroll around and smoke wherever. It’s going to be a turn off for guests who are sensitive to smoke so you might drive away some business.

In Mass, which just passed a similar referendum, one can not just walk around smoking weed. Consuming “weed” has to done in your own private home. We also don’t allow people to walk around with alcoholic drinks, but you can go to a bar for that. Since we have strong no smoking inside laws, I can’t imagine that there will be anyplace public that will allow smoking of any kind.

I’m sure it will be that way here too in Calif. Although I smell and see so many here out in public having a smoke. I’m sure you do as well.

So are you going to have a pot smoking room set aside for guests??? I can see it now…

With the right ventilator, it could be quite the draw, eh? Even have an extra per night charge if you use the smoking room. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes! You could stock the mini bar with Hershey bars, Kettle corn and frozen pizzas.

4 Likes

Hey, I run a high class joint. I would make them popcorn with cheese powder and butter. Munchies need savory and salty, as I recall.

6 Likes

Puns are the lowest form of humor.

4 Likes

You only caught one of them?

1 Like

That’s why the Kettle Corn :))) And some of those seaweed crackers!

For what I would charge for use of that room, homemade popcorn with salt, butter, and cabot cheddar cheese powder will make the cost seem like a true value. If they want commercial stuff, they can provide that themselves.

1 Like

In my county, in Calif, we have huge grows. I constantly smell MJ on people - at the bank, in the grocery store, etc. Maybe they are harvesters and pickers tho…that stuff gets real sticky.

1 Like

We allow weed as my partner is an executive in the industry. However, the same smoking rules apply as cigarettes. Outside, 50’ away from the house, regardless of weather. I can’t partake due to my job and I really don’t want to smell it all the time.

You will find that people will try to break the smoking rules much faster with weed than with tobacco. They’ll stand in the doorway, blow the smoke out a window, or smoke in the bathroom with the ventilation fan on. None of which works…

You really have to hit them over the head, that the same rules apply as cigarettes. I was forced to institute a $300 fee if they are found to have smoked anything in the house, including weed. While I’ve collected it twice, ever since I made the fee very clear almost everyone has respected the rules.

We do allow vaping and of course edibles anywhere.

2 Likes

How about no smoking of any kind, but you can bake all the brownies you want.

5 Likes

Provide an ashtray and tell them not to raid your refrigerator. Recommend edibles instead and tell them to walk around outside or stay in their room. Make sure they smoke outside and double check anything a stoned person would forget. Since Seattle legalized marijuana at least 5 guests have left me joints they could not take back home with them. None have been problematic unless they combined it with plenty of alcohol. I’d say alcohol in itself is worse than pot in itself, really.

It’s not legal here as yet but the chances are that it will be eventually. And I’ll have the same rules as before - no smoking inside the apartment regardless of what you’re smoking.

2 Likes

I’ve never been interested in smoking weed but the synchronicity of increased legalization together with Trump being President has me thinking. It may be one way to survive.

4 Likes

Oh yes. I worked a summer at a state Park in the heart of Humboldt County. The harvesters would come camp and shower. They reeked. Crazy looking bunch. Incidentally I visited Murphy. Great place. Stayed at the Murphy Hotel.

1 Like

Used to live in Murphys. Now in Angels Camp. Hubby is from Del Norte county, where alcohol “used” to rule. Not anymore!

1 Like