Leaving Cable TV Behind

Yes. it definitely depends on the rental. When I go into the apartments when guests have left, I’ll find that they’ve been using the TV for their favourite channels (assuming that the guests are from the US). So personally, I wouldn’t get rid of cable.

However, and I’m hazy on this because I don’t have a TV at home and know little about them, guests can still watch Netflix and so on so they have the best of both worlds.

That seems like the best solution - to offer guests the choice. But again, it depends on your rental, your location, your price and whether your guests in recent years have actually used the cable.

1 Like

I would also check your comps. Do they offer cable tv?

1 Like

We haven’t had cable personally in years so adding a smart tv and hulu & netflix accounts just seemed natural. No one has ever had any sort of complaint and I don’t think too many even turn it on.

1 Like

I ditched cable more than 10 years ago in my own house. I realize I didn’t spend that much at Christmas, I had more time to read and I was overall, calmer.
Never looked back. I only have netflix, amazon prime, and a couple of other channels. plus the local stations which I get free with an antenna.

Of course I don’t have cable in my rental house. People nowadays seem to embrace more and more having the freedom to chose and no commercials.

3 Likes

I’m with Allison…we have never had cable in our home or suite, there is WIFI they can watch on their device. Seems like an unnecessary expense in these times.

3 Likes

Count me as another host without Cable or Satellite TV. My listing has a 65-inch Roku TV in the living room and a 42-inch HDTV connected to an external Roku in the master bedroom. Both are always logged in to my Netflix and Hulu accounts. Guests can logout and use their own accounts if they want (but they won’t be able to log back in to mine). Both TVs also have antennas to get all of the over-the-air ATSC channels.

My internet service is through the cable company. It is 100Mbit and has a 1TB monthly data cap and it’s much more than enough.

You might want to check out similar threads:

3 Likes

I think it depends where you are located @Lgstacey

As a generalisation, it does seem to be more of a North American thing, that guests expect a TV and more than one TV with multiple channels .

I have to say it has rarely occurred to me to watch TV when I am on holiday.

I guess if your market is long term guests/business guests and/or you have a lot of North American guests you may want to have a TV/access to Netflix.

I don’t have a TV available for guests and no-one has raised it as an issue. Most will watch TV or Netflix on their laptops.

3 Likes

I watch tv on my laptop or even phone (Amazon prime and Netflix have phone apps). When I’m too tired to read i just watch a 30 min of British sitcom on my phone (BritBox) and this puts me to sleep.

2 Likes

Ah for me it’s Audible or a good book all the way :smile:

I have problems sleeping and my GP advised that watching a screen before you go to sleep makes it harder to sleep so I try and avoid being on my laptop in bed. (glad it doesn’t seem to affect you)

I have to say when I watch TV cookery programmes are my secret addiction :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some people are into sports, and want cable to watch games.

2 Likes

But having cable in no way guarantees that they will get to see the game they want. Therefore…way too expensive.

2 Likes

Smart TVs = electronic babysitters.

1 Like

I do not have Cable or Satellite at home or my rental. High speed internet, roku with HBO Now signed in and Netflix. Never had a complaint. If I did Id be like you can watch tv at home you came her to be in nature:)

RR

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that this is the case. There have been plenty of studies about it, as I recall. And many even say that having your phone in the bedroom is enough to disrupt proper restful sleep.

I have quoted this several times to guests who have commented that we don’t have TVs in the bedrooms :slight_smile:

1 Like

You don’t even need a smart tv people can access their Netflix account on their device and use chromecast to stream it. Plus lots of older DVDs.

I have 1gbps internet in the house, with fast WiFi. My guests are too busy hiking/kayaking/whale watching/flightseeing to watch TV, and only one has commented on the lack of TV. If they want to watch sports there are 2 sports bars with lots of big screens a 10 minute walk away.

We have all Roku TVs in all rentals, we pay for Netflix, HBO NOW, Sling TV, HULU, Amazon Prime video. All TVs share all subscriptions.

I think there are as many answers for this question as there are hosts…

My monthly HOA dues include basic cable (can’t opt out) so I offer smart TVs with netflix and basic cable and hi-speed internet. This is common for condos & entire housing developments in my area so most rentals offer basic cable (way to keep “unsightly” dishes out of neighborhood)

I upgraded my internet to high speed and decided to take the hit for a higher rate because:

1. More people remotely work or attend graduate school. (Including me) A surprising number of adults will work while rest of family plays during the day—maybe they don’t have vacation time accrued yet.
  2. Multiple devices connected at one time need greater bandwidth to function simultaneously.

In my personal home: 1 TV, fire stick with amazon prime (which I enrolled in for shipping-movies, prime music, & kindle prime were happy extras) & netflix. 2. High speed internet

As @Brandt & others have said —it depends on your market.

1 Like

But dishes are allowed…right? I have Direct TV for one reason: NFL Sunday ticket and their brand of Red Zone channel. When that is easily accessed by less expensive means then I’ll look at the other means. Last summer I did the suspend the Direct TV and go with antenna and smart TV so as to say money but I can effectively only do that once every two years. So satellite isn’t prohibited, just discouraged?

1 Like

I have a 50in TV which gets basic OTA TV. I also have an Amazon Firestick attached so guests can use their Netflix accounts to watch if they want. Surprising the number who do and then leave their Netflix account logged on. I always log then off and tell them in a PM

1 Like