Late check in....Midnight

Thanks Muddy
Sound advice, will do.

I stayed up til 1am once for a guest whose flight had been majorly delayed. And gotten up quite early for a guest whose flight had to turn around due to a mechanical issue, the airline rebooking all the passengers on a redeye, so her arrival was at 6 am. But both of those guests were great about letting me know what was happening, kept me up to date as they got more info, and apologetic.

I wouldn’t feel it was part of my job to accommodate people who sent entitled messages trying to guilt trip. It astounds me that someone who wants something doesn’t realize that they are more likely to get it by being polite.

Those guests could just as easy have said, “We see your check in window ends at 9PM. We are on the road, need a place to sleep for the night (too fatigued to drive much longer), and can’t get to your place until midnight. I realize that’s quite late, but we looked and there is nothing else available in the area. If you could possibly accommodate us, we would be super grateful and promise to be very quiet checking in.”

I can’t speak for the OP, but I would have taken the booking with a message like that, but declined if I had gotten the message the OP did.

It seems that a lot of people can’t grasp the notion of politeness and civility these days, and that you don’t speak to strangers you want a favor from like you talk to your baby brother.

1 Like

As my Grandma taught me “You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar”

2 Likes

Correct…spot on. You will catch more with honey…If you are so rude and entitled, chances are pretty good I won’t go out of my way. In fact, I go the extra mile for my guests, I really do! One guy was stuck in a snow storm couldn’t get home, we gave him a free night, not his fault, had to beg airbnb, and give them my first born child in order for them to refund his money, but he did get his money refunded back to him. Another lady stuck in a snow storm, I made her lasagna, salad and dessert…or she would have been eating chips. I intend to accommodate everyone I can and if I fall on my face a few times so be it.

2 Likes

And maybe, just maybe, they were stressed, tired, and scared because they were driving across a large area of Canada with far-spaced population centers and they didn’t take the time to wordsmith it.

Just a thought.

And before any of you jump down my throat, yes, there are some amazingly toxic potential guests and their attitude comes through loud and clear.

2 Likes

The link to the document is in this post from earlier in this topic:

3 Likes

Well that proves it. It’s there in black and white. Reading through the thread I was on the side of “it’s my home and my rules” but Airbnb has clearly defined what self check-in is.

We also offer self check-in. I specify arrival is between 4-10pm (why does Airbnb offer a place to put that if self check-in is any time after check-in time?)
Our listing also notes that if guests arrive after 10pm that they should respect the neighbours by keeping noise to a minimum as they unload and get settled.

In this case, I thought the potential guest was very rude, aggressive and threatening and I wouldn’t have wanted them in my home.

Sorry, but I don’t buy that. Too many people come up with “reasons” for being rude and aggressive.

And I never heard of anyone being scared driving across Canada, even in sparsely populated areas, even at night. That’s rather absurd.

1 Like

Why are you responding to a thread that is almost a year old? Shouldn’t this be locked by now? @KKC ?

Why are you? You’re the only one that has responded to this thread since July 2022. The last response on the thread before yours is Muddy responding to you in July 2022.

I think maybe you just got the response notification. I got many notifications for old responses and old ‘likes’ when they changed the notification menu recently.

Done and now with the Discourse software update I have to make a whole damn sentence.

3 Likes