Kitchen Quarantine: What’cha Cook’n?

We are great fans of Indian food here, but’d a no no when we have guests staying because of the smell. Fortunately, we have a brilliant restaurant up the road, run by Indian chefs, not from Bangladesh.

Here’s our bible;-

It’s for sale on Amazon, and downloadable on Kindle.

Before locking down, we stocked up on ingredients and made 5 litres of curry sauce, now frozen in portions. We can knock a dish or two up with it in 30 minutes.

Our favourite breads are deep fried Bhatoora, and they are easy to make. Like @Helsi, in my head, but;-

Make a dough by mixing plain flour with yogurt. Approx four heaped teaspoons of flour to two/three of yogurt, not too stiff, not too sticky.

Roll into a ball and cover with cling film for 20 minutes.

On a floured surface, roll into a sausage shape and slice off rounds about 1cm thick.
Roll these out thinly and deep fry, turning once. Drain on kitchen paper. They should be puffy and delicious!

I sometimes add onion seeds or a chopped bird’s eye chilli. They keep well and are nicely crisp when toasted.

4 Likes

They have cast iron and non stick ones. I love them. Have had mine for over twenty years :slight_smile: :grinning: :smiley: :smile:

https://www.lecreuset.co.uk/

1 Like

I love my Marmitou (can’t remember spelling…) but they don’t make them any more. We have a huge wok and casserole that I simply can’t use because of the weight. I hate it when Mr Joan uses them and I get to clean them afterwards, usually after they have sat in the sink for a “soak”… It really hurts my hands!

We made this last night with some variations, and it was delicious! thank you!

2 Likes

Today’s contribution. No yeast - No need!

3 Likes

My older son’s semester ended early. He’s home and been learning to cook.We made this tonight. Very rich and decadent. Technically it’s bacon not ham. Highly Recommend

4 Likes

I freeze bananas to use in waffles. Frozen bananas liquify well and sub into a recipe instead of water/oil and are soooo good. Daughter’s favorite, with chocolate chips, of course.

I freeze bananas all the time. Especially now when we limit trips to Costco and grocery stores; as soon as they start to look like they are getting overripe, I peel them and wrap them in Plastic Wrap and pop them in the freezer.

This is a big favorite for my husband and me—and all of our friends who’ve tried it.

2 Likes

I bought coconut flour to make bread for a guest who is now not coming.
I didn’t find a recipe so it’s sitting there looking useless!
Any ideas?

Should keep you going for a bit :wink:

JF

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check them out, Mary

Peel bananas and freeze for 4-6 hours just bare on a baking sheet. Then wrap in clingfilm or transfer to zip top bags to store.

When the banana tree behind the house has a bunch, they all ripen at once, so I’ve learned how to deal with 30-40 bananas at a time. You can only make so much banana bread…

4 Likes

During one of our rare sunny days last week we managed to eat outside of an evening. It’s something we really miss during the Winter, as normally we’re eating (and cooking) outside from now until mid October.

A few pieces of Secreto Iberico, a cut that is from behind the shoulder blade, on the grill and an Ensalda de Granaino.

This is one of my favourite salads, and it’s really quick and easy to make…

On top of a bed of whatever green leaves you have, here I used iceberg lettuce, throw some sliced red onion, some diced red pepper (or green, or both) and some ribbons of carrot.

Top with some crumbled blue cheese, the saltier the better, some chopped walnuts and dress it with either a balsamic or a Pedro Ximénez reduction.

JF

5 Likes

I’m coming to live with you and the OH. I’ll split the food and sherry bills. And cleaning. I fold fitted sheets like a pro! :wink:

1 Like

You mean they can be folded?

4 Likes

Yes, they can. It’s a challenge, but they can be.

2 Likes

Okay I couldn’t find it in this thread but @casailinglady I ordered from Costco yesterday and my almond flour should be here tomorrow. So I’m craving a cheeseburger and need to make some buns. I thought some almond flour recipes had been posted but I only see one above for sweet bread.

Do you, or anyone reading have advice about working with almond flour? I could maybe even mix in wheat flour as I’m not sure my gluten issue requires full abstinence.

I found this if any of you more experienced cooks have an opinion:

1 Like

I can’t attest, but this doesn’t look bad, although w/o a mold, maybe substitute muffin tray and make smaller burgers / sliders

1 Like

Thanks, the accent is a bonus! I have no bun molds so I will have to improvise or make slider buns with a muffin tin. LOL.

1 Like