Keeping bedspreads clean!

I think I would be weirded out if I was given an empty duvet cover to sleep with in any place.

2 Likes

Depends how hot it is. Sometimes the equivalent of 2 sheets is the perfect amount.

1 Like

Jess1 sounds like you have host/laundry burn out.:scream:

The guest rocked up at a budget room, in a family home, where it is made clear in the listing, and then in a reminder on the app, that only one load of laundry is included a week and then DICTATED she was going to use my washing machine 3 times in one week. You would have to have the patience of a saint to even tolerate such an odious, entitled guest in your home. It’s a problem with her behaviour, not my reception of it. I dont mind laundry, I admit I do not enjoy other peoples lack of organisation, and definitely not rudeness.

1 Like

You are quite right I would not have the patience, not living right in my face. Jeeze who does that much laundry in one week, not even my teenager… I don’t know how your laundry room is set up…could you put a lock on the door, I know I would just kill the power at the breaker and turn off the water to the machine, then text her the address to the local laundromat.
You have a much more difficult situation hosting in a shared space, I do have the luxury of my own private space, it must be a monumental amount of work!

Its usually good. She is in my top 10 worst guests out of a few hundred.

I’d be weirded out if a guest was weirded out. At this point with about 400 5 star reviews, 500 plus guests and hundreds of empty duvet nights hosted I’m going to keep doing what I’m doing.

2 Likes

My weirdest sleeping/covers situation… I hosted 10 college girls at once for 2 nights—the University of Kentucky dressage team. The beds had the following: bottom sheet, top sheet, comforter, quilt or duvet, plus an extra quilt folded across the bottom of the bed. The house has central heat and the thermostat was set on 70 degrees (outside temperatures were in the 40s and 50s).

The girls asked if I had more blankets. I was surprised because I thought each bed had plenty of covers. But I knew I should have more blankets anyway, so I went out and bought a lot of blankets— soft, fleece ones and enough for each of them to have one.

Bless my heart if nearly every one of those girls didn’t sleep on TOP of all the bedclothes and wrapped themselves up in the blankets!

1 Like

Thats very strange. They must be putting something in the chicken.

2 Likes

I tried using luggage racks but then guests were scratching and marking up the walls with the wheels and hardware.

That’s interesting.

I’ve hosted about 400 people since I got a luggage rack and have only had to touch up the wall with paint twice. Where I have the issue is the entryway where there is a corner. I have to touch up the wall and baseboard there several times a year.

But my room is too small to do without folding luggage racks. If I didn’t provide them there is no where to put luggage but on the floor and that’s not convenient. I know we aren’t hotels but I do figure they are the experts on a lot of things and they mostly provide luggage racks.

1 Like

This is to keep the suitcases off the beds. Bedbugs…

RR

2 Likes

To get to our studio, guests have to bring suicases up the top half of a narrow circular stairway. I used to fill in the gouges and cracks and do paint touch-ups every few weeks on the walls until I realised that guests were really nervous about hitting the pristine walls. Now I only renew it once twice a year and tell guests “Don’t worry about the walls, they can’t get any worse!” and they seem very relieved!

Definitely going to get luggage racks though … we had bedbugs in the Cape Town apartment.

I wash every single thing every time there is a turnover, all linens, mattress pad, shams, etc. My water and electric bill are awful. I got rid of the upholstered headboard, as it was getting stained. Everything in the room is a hard surface now except the upholstered chair, which has a throw over it (which I also wash). I am afraid I’ll get one of those guests like on TV where they mark the bedspread with something and show it wasn’t washed before the next guest.
That being said, I am spared the great duvet/comforter debate because I just sheets and a quilt. I have 3 sets of lightweight quilts and sheets which I rotate. Laundry is my middle name.

2 Likes

Everything in ours gets washed, also unless a bedroom quite obviously was not used.

I don’t know if it’s true or not that a duvet can be covered in 30 seconds. I know that my cleaner, who is a family member, forbids duvets. She said absolutely she will not spend another minute of her life putting a duvet in its cover. :slight_smile:

She was the head of guest services for a 5-star luxury hotel in one of the top 8 most populous cities in the USA so what she says goes on that sort of thing. I’m lucky to have her.

I provide lightweight covers that fit into our washer and 2 of the beds are Cali Kings. Sure, the cover by itself is one load. That’s fine, it all gets washed every. single. use. The only thing not getting stripped and washed after every guest is the dust ruffle that goes over the box springs.

@LoneStar, One very important criterion is the size of the opening in the duvet cover. The smaller the opening, the more wrestling needed, espacially with a larger, Winter-weight duvet. My least favourite one we have is an Ikea (unfortunately my favourite print design) with a tiny opening about one third of the width. This is definitely a multi-swear-word cover. Best is a Zara Home which opens all the way along the side and has large buttons for closure. I think with two of us we could probably manage it in 30 seconds. Will time it next linen change and report back.

1 Like

Oh yay for duvet…cover discussions. LOL.

I don’t like the buttons but my favorite cover in terms of color, design and not looking wrinkled for the hot season has buttons (Pottery Barn). My favorite for winter has a large opening and zipper. I found that with practice they weren’t that hard to manuever. What I don’t like are the corner ties. I wish there were buttons or velcro or something that was quicker to unfasten.

My favorite is in the summer when it’s so hot I don’t put the insert in I just use it as the top cover with a top sheet and blanket.

I have these incredible shrinking pillow shams, cuz I wash in HOT, and some larger pillows so it’s a real wrassling match to get them in. I was whinging to my (85 year old) Dad about the workout and he simply observed “Running that place is keeping you fit.”
He really gave me a new perspective on those multiple runs up and down the basement stairs with towering piles of towels and bedding. I’m glad I can do it in my 60s and hope to be doing it in my 70s.

5 Likes

Same. And here with the dogs too. People wonder how I do all those back to back bookings but if I have to be here anyway watching dogs, it’s really not that big a deal.

1 Like

But it costs in time. I guess it depends on what you value your time at.