Keeping bedspreads clean!

I have matching bedspreads over the top of my duvets for a warmth layer. It’s only intended to sit on top, and only the duvet cover etc is washed every single time.
When I make the bed I line the bedspread up slightly below the top of the duvet, then fold a small triangle of bedding layers back at the top. This guides which layers touch the body when simply getting into bed. Several guests have consciously messed with the arrangement, yanking the bedspread up to dribble level, moving the pillow to the foot end, or even putting the bedspread UNDER the duvet. I recently had a guest put a fleece blanket under the duvet too. Dont they realise how unhygeinic, inconsiderate and illogical this behaviour is? I am fed up with unnecessary laundry. Apparently most hotels dont wash bedspreads or blankets for months. Again must I confiscate these comforts because the minority abuse them, or is there a solution?

1 Like

Wash them if your secret triangle is disturbed.

RR

5 Likes

Lol, I know I meant an easier solution!

How about just using a heavier weight duvet (I also like one in Winter that’s bigger than the bed (i.e.King-size duvet for Queen-size bed etc) and dispensing with the bedspread?

1 Like

I use bedspreads over the duvet too because they look so nice. I’ve hardly ever had them marked - most guests politely fold them and put them somewhere. (In the wardrobe, in a drawer… honestly, post-check out can be a voyage of discovery…)

I attribute their success to two things, one sensible and one bonkers:

The sensible thing is that I supply luggage racks. This seemingly prevents guests from lugging their suitcases up onto the beds. The bonkers one is that they are white. I suspect that they look so pristine that guests wouldn’t dream of messing them up and so hide them somewhere straight away. I hope…

Blimey, I hope I haven’t cursed myself there :slight_smile:

8 Likes

let it go, then it will be easy. Just know that every few times they will need to be washed and that by doing so you are providing better service than most hotels. Tell yourself how great you are and how lucky anyone is to stay with you. Let. It. Go.

RR

1 Like

I find that some guests do all kinds of things with the layers. Just two nights ago I think the fellow pulled back the duvet and slept between the blanket and duvet. Some people carry in their own blankets and pillows from the car. Some people set the pillows with the decorative covers aside, some sleep with them on the bed, maybe under their heads.

I understand the dilemma though. You want to host one nighters but doing two or three loads of laundry per night is not cost or environment effective. I don’t see any solution other than washing everything that seems used. Maybe if you put the bedspread on a shelf so they only use it if they really need it?

1 Like

Time to raise your rates $5
I bet it will make no difference in bookings
Also if you line dry that saves some $

RR

Actually in my market $5 does make a difference. There are 100+ great places to stay for less than $50 a night. It’s also a matter of using water whether it’s paid for or not. Thank goodness in summer when my water bill is $150 a month I don’t have blankets to wash.

As for line dry, I do some line drying. There are a few issues here. One, the windy days. Laundry has blown off the line or something blows onto it. I have to check it for insects. A few weeks ago I went out and my blanket had ants all over it. I didn’t realize they were convoying along the clothesline. So I had to rewash.

In the winter I vent the dryer into my living area which adds heat and moisture so not so much a waste.

2 Likes

Believe me, I would raise my rates £10 if I could. The fact that my competition give away the equity in their property free, with Airbnbs race to the bottom makes this sadly impossible.

In the West of England this is normally only possible in the Summer. My pulley airer is free and efficient, but only does one load a day. I dont have a tumble dryer.

I would experiment, you say you get a lot of last minute bookings… So the next time you would rather not get a booking raise the price $ and see what happens. If it books fine if not you were hoping for a night off anyway. I bet there is more room than you think, especially with a superhost 400+ reviews… Then go up another $5…

RR

1 Like

I appreciate you taking you time to try to help. However I assure you that over the last 4.5 years, 500 guests, both hosting with access to my entire home and hosting with my current set up, I have experimented with prices. The lowest I ever went was accepting a price tip for $19 to see what would happen. I didn’t get booked. The most I’ve gotten was $69 on a music festival weekend night.

I’ve done that many times. Doing a quick calculation I figure my room has been available about 1200 nights over the last 4.5 years. I’ve done every kind of experiment with prices you can imagine. I’ve used smart pricing and price tips as well as doing my own research. I check my competition multiple times per year.

1 Like

Well shit. I was hoping you could squeeze out a few more bucks.

RR

3 Likes

In effect I did raise my price a little. My primary competition is folks with over 200 reviews who have been doing this about as long as I have. We are all in the $39-$60 range. I never go lower than $35 anymore and I’m usually over $40. So in my mind I did raise my average $5 over the course of the year but I can’t get another $5 except in summer or peak travel times like college vacation time.

2 Likes

Have you considered using a comforter with a top sheet instead of the duvet and bedspread. Comforters wash well and some are very pretty.

Here we go again… :wink:

6 Likes

I think we call a comforter a duvet in the UK.

Can anyone explain why a guest chooses to ignore a perfectly good luggage rack and flop the dirty backpack and suitcase on a clean white bedspread. Beats me!!

1 Like

A large suitcase in which both halves are packed and open flat won’t fit well on a luggage rack. But the entire suitcase can be opened like a book on a bed.

4 Likes