Just venting really

I’m embarrassed to have this review on my profile, I can’t control the neighborhood and I state in my listings that it is a commercial/residential area. PLUS, I had to make a big change to this woman’s reservation, so I ended up offering her one out of her three nights stay for free so that she would be okay with it ($50 a night, not like I’m overcharging hotel prices here!). Any suggestions on what to write in profile to dissuade people that don’t like urban/multi-family home communities?

I don’t think it’s embarrassing at all. Were the star ratings bad? We all complain about those location ratings and I think you just have to live with them. Maybe put some pictures of the neighborhood? I mention that I live on modest street of single family ranch homes and duplexes built in the 1970’s. And some yards around here aren’t kept up at all so I’m sure that’s why I have more than a dozen 4 star location reviews. Just count the money and keep on doing your thing.

3 Likes

The overall star rating was 4… is it possible now to see individual categories? I haven’t had guests in a while!
I might be overly sensitive… I live and teach in different urban areas and hear a lot of negativity thrown out about it. :slight_smile:

A. Was her rating bad?
B. Unless (a) is an issue I wouldn’t be concerned. I live in an very inner city urban area which has some of the most expensive restaurants in the world, metres from graffitied alley ways where night clubbers urinate! I don’t think it’s a bad review as you don’t want people, and there are many, who are not comfortable in this environment as they will punish you in reviews. Perhaps be a bit more discriptive in your own profile & add some pictures detailing the true vibe of the industrial area too (with a nice cafe or tree in the backdrop ideally)

3 Likes

I have to agree with @KKC. This is not embarrassing, and as someone who knows your neighborhood, it is accurate. She did not say that she felt unsafe or that the neighborhood was sketchy. She simply pointed out that to get to your house, there are some run-down neighborhoods. A few more years of this real estate boom, and your town will start to get a great influx of folks willing to fix up houses. Few more suburbs to go before they get there.

1 Like

This isn’t a bad review by any means. Guests often read the review rather than the listing itself and at least the review is lowering potential guests’ expectations regarding the neighbourhood.

In fact, it’s saying that despite the neighbourhood you were a great host. That’s a good thing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

To me that is a good, well written review. Unless she trashed you in the stars, I would smile and be happy :relaxed:. Just based on that review I would stay at your place anytime.

1 Like

How many stars did you get on this review?

I probably wouldn’t respond. At least the negative comments are sandwhiched by you being awesome and the price being right.

And I’ll add that I’ve wondered if any of my location ratings are related to the ethnic composition of my city which is over 80% hispanic.

If it makes you feel any better I live in one of the world’s most desirable holiday destinations. My place is one minute from a secluded bay in undeveloped Kona Hawaii, where the snorkeling is first rate astounding and you can see whales splashing from INSIDE the guest apartment, and yet I get slammed on location again and again. Just exactly do they want for $100 a night? If being by the beach in Hawaii can’t get good location ratings, then just about nothing will. :smile: (I think they slam me because it takes them awhile to drive to town. But hello. That is the whole idea? To get away from big box retailers and hustle and bustle?) Sigh…

3 Likes

The host could always respond ‘Nameste’ to the reviewer :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

For that price, I would expect the whales to be swimming directly below me on a glass observation deck

This is cheap for Hawaii. Most condos are a minimum of $200 a night. And they are condos. Mine is a quiet apartment by the beach. The nearest hostel right on the highway is $89 with shared kitchen.

Hotels are minimum $300-400 not including $40 per night mandatory resort fee! The ONLY hotels are the Resort Coast ones. If you don’t have a car, then you are stuck eating at the really pricey resort restaurants.

I’m fairly priced considering where I am. Hawaii does not come cheap.

2 Likes

I dunno. I stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel and it was $180AUD and no resort fee and was right on Waikiki Beach. Stumbled to and from Dukes - no drama.

:stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

(Please don’t beat me. I’m just teasing)

Lol. That’s Waikiki. Lots of cheap places within walking distance to the beach. Before they built the Trump Tower, my secret go-to place were the Ohana hotels. $85 for a teeny little room right across from the Sheraton, such a cool location, all gone now. Also parking, you have to consider most places charge at least $30 for parking per night in Honolulu now. But I’m not on Oahu. I’m on Hawaii Island. Far less in the $100 range. And I have a full apartment, not just a room.

Do you have a Dukes within stumbling distance? If not…how are your mai tais?

1 Like

I love Dukes! I offer guests a blender and they can make their own!! I even have a tropical drink recipe book in the room. My last guest posted his frozen concoction with sunset in the background on Facebook. :smile: He took advantage of the acoustic guitar I have in the room and seranaded us at night with Jimmy Buffet, James Taylor and the Beatles.

Waikiki is a different experience. I love Honolulu, but it is the big city in Hawaii. People who visit the Big Island are usually looking for someing a bit different.

1 Like

Here’s the pic my guest took of his libation on the guest picnic table with sunset backdrop. :smile:

2 Likes

Agree with others. It’s not a bad review, so i wouldn’t stress.

TO my fellow urban area hosts, I recommend being very upfront in the description that you live in a very urban area full of colorful characters, where there is always something crazy happening and the excitement never stops. It’s important to set expectations in case you find yourself entertaining folks from a small town who may no know what they are getting themselves into.

I even go so far as to say that if folks are looking for a quiet getaway then my place is NOT it. People seem to appreciate knowing as much as they can ahead of time when they make the decision to book. As a result i have never had anyone complain about the neighborhood in a review. And, trust me…Hollywood is full of grafitti, drug dealers, vagrants and noise. But, it’s Hollywood, and there is so much to take in with the shopping, nightclubs, taverns restaurants and tourist attractions. So, it balances out. Over the last couple of years I’d say I’ve done well on finding guests who looking for my type of neighborhood. I’m pretty much a solid five in accuracy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel your pain. Guests have dinged me a star for location for similar reasons and I can’t blame them. We bought our investment property in an up-and-coming neighborhood smack dab in downtown. Just as the homeless wander outside the Westin and $300/night fancy hotels five blocks away, they do the same outside our house which I happen to think is a beautiful building and neighborhood. It’s just unavoidable.

I’d respond, “what you consider as run down I happen to see as vibrant and a good reflection of downtown city life, but I respect your view. Thanks for your stay!”