Just one of those requests

I just got this booking request from a so called “superhost”.

(Super)hosts are on my avoid list, but this one is really trouble waiting to happen.
I do not like that she is writing in Italian, and according to google translate she is also asking for things against the AirBnB policy.

I told her I do not speak Italian, I am waiting for the answer. Then I will reject her.

What do you mean you don’t like that she writes in Italian if that is what she speaks? Why don’t you translate it, I do that all the time for my many guests that contact me in French, Chinese, Italian, of course they do, we live in an international world? And you hate super hosts? Why, bizarre, I am a super hosts, no better than other hosts for sure but I have worked hard for my guests and to make my very small humble home I share with them comfortable & welcoming, I’ve been lucky, most, not all, guests have been grateful. I don’t care about my status or if I lose it but I’d be horrified if I get rejected as a guest for it. I use Airbnb all the time myself. I think you are being harsh, judgement, maybe a bit racist and definitely ridiculous so maybe hosting is not for you?

2 Likes

What is she asking for that is against Airbnb policy? In some places there are local taxes that need to be paid so I think she’s just asking if this might be the case at your location. Sheesh, are you this suspicious with everyone?

3 Likes

Do you have a rule that all communication must be in English?

1 Like

Geez Chris, what have you got against Superhosts?? All it means is we get consistently good ratings and are good to our guests.

The translation of the Inquiry is:
“Hello I would like to know if the price is for the entire room or just one person . I would also like to know if you can have another room for our friend . 3 people and we would like to know the total cost for 5 nights and if you have to pay something 'more when we are there . Greetings”

I don’t see anything wrong with this… I’ve seen prices so low I thought they were per person as well. Does your listing specifically say “only two people”?? She’s simply asking if there is space for a third person. Nothing there against Air policy. “something more when we are there” could mean taxes. It could also mean that she’s asking if you have any ‘unlisted’ expenses, like privately collected cash cleaning fees or other ‘hidden’ charges that some hosts do against Air policy.

She, like far too many others I’ve seen here, seems to have never used AirBnb as Guests, just jumped on the cash cow bandwagon of becoming an Air Host.

1 Like

Guests, who are doing the same Airbnb and super hosts are the best! They know what hosting is and do not do stupid things. Last week I had a superhost from Arizona, the best guest ever! Wish to have such guests every day!

2 Likes

(Super)hosts are very consistent in giving us low ratings.
The reviews are good, but ratings are low. If I ask them why, I always get reply’s like: “My place is nicer… I offer more etc etc.” Somehow hosts are always comparing to their place, not comparing to what the standards are in the location.

Non hosts are always very pleased, we often get remarks that we are their best AirBnB so far.
They seem to have a lot more appreciation for what we offer for the low price ask.

Last host gave us a low score on value. I asked her why, and she told me her place was the same price but a lot bigger with a lot more amenities. I explained her that prices are higher in our area because of popularity and season. I asked her if our description was not accurate, and she told me it was accurate and the place was exactly as described.

I asked her why she booked us, and not some other place in our area, that was more like her place. She told us we were the cheapest…

3 Likes

Hey Chris. First. Just use Google translate. I much prefer that a guest like that uses her native language rather than mess up the request in English. Ie, Google translate is going to give a better indication of what the guest is actually saying.

Secondly, avoiding Superhosts as guests? Sorry, but really can’t understand your thoughts here. I am a superhost and also feel I am a superguest. If I stay somewhere and feel as if the host is lacking in something, I will tell them not via the reviews but a pm or something. In other words, I feel a responsibility to help them out so they can give the best possible service to all guests. Remember, all hosts need to give all guests a great experience otherwise the platform will be a lesser being.

Some great advice in the previous replies. Would appreciate knowing if we have been able to sway your opinions on these two points.

1 Like

Hmmm… the takeaway here is that uninformed guests love your place, but experienced and successful hosts communicate to you that it is not really up to standards that they set for themselves. I would look at these comments as gracious sharing of their experience and knowledge. Open a dialog with them - ‘what should be better, what is sub par’? You can learn a lot from people who are successful.

I personally am not a super host due to the usual issues with guests - old folks who ‘just never give 5 starts’, folks who do not read the listing and say stupid stuff like ‘I was uncomfortable sharing the house’, etc. But when someone with experience tells me something, I listen.

3 Likes

Wow Chris…a superhost or just any host for that matter - is rude to rate another host low on value. If you met their expectations (based on listing description) then they agreed to pay the price.

I hear exactly what you are saying about why you no longer want to rent to other superhosts, or just really other Airbnb hosts. I have been surprised to read posts on this forum where a host complains about there not being milk in the fridge for them - I believe that old post was even when the person was renting an entire apartment. Others hosts think it is wrong to not provide laundry detergent, because they provide laundry detergent in their listing.

Or another host thinks it is wrong to not provide paper towels, yet they are renting an entire home. It does seem that hosts don’t even read what is provided, nor ask what is provided. They just think it is “wrong” because they offer something that the other host doesn’t.

3 Likes

The problem is that the standards they set for them selves, are unrealistic for the price and the location I am in.
I am fully aware of our position in the market, and what we offer and what our target audience is.

We do not want to aim for the top, because there is too much competition. We offer a decent place for a good price.
And most of our guests seem to appreciate this.

In reality, most of the people on this forum will not even try to book my place, because it is below most hosts price range.

Another thing in the along the same line of not accepting hosts.

We are always very careful of the so called “trickle down effect”.

There are seasons where it is very busy around here, then people will take whatever they can get.
We have to be very carefull not to book guests that normally will stay are a much more expensive place, because they will always compare to that other place, not taking into account that they pay a lot less.

1 Like

It sounds like you have been burned by super hosts in the past and are wary. I don’t blame you. However you may be missing a good guest by declining her?

1 Like

I got a response back in perfect English.

Besides that she did not properly read the listing. She also wanted an extra room (which I do not have, I am fully booked).
She asked if there is a kitchen she could use. (my listing clearly states: “No Kitchen, No Kitchen acces”).
And she wanted make a reservation for one person only, and pay the other person direct to me.

Not mine, I’m sure!!

Holy cow. And coming from a SH? You could report her for attempting to book outside the platform?

2 Likes

My Italian is pretty rusty but it seems there is nothing dodgy about her request. She is just asking for the price for a couple of rooms for her and a friend for five nights and asking if there are any additional taxes due. What have you got against superhosts?

Sorry just read your additional response. I agree I would decline on the basis of what she wrote in English, but not because she is a superhost but because she is trying to go outside of BnB with her booking.

I am sorry you have had bad experiences with previous hosts. It sounds as if they aren’t being realistic with their expectations.

I think you are absolutely correct. I can admit that, after developing my own hosting style, I found other hosts lacking if they didn’t do it “as well” as I do.

Even a place I had stayed in before hosting and was content with, I disliked when staying the second time, after being a host for a year. However, I was able to realize that the host was charging half what the hotels were charging so didn’t complain and still gave a favorable review, but mentioning ‘for this price it is…’ or something.

So I can see your point.

And of course, it’s a no-brainer to decline someone trying to operate outside the system.

I haven’t had many fellow hosts as guests but most of the ones that have stayed were not the best, unfortunately. It seems they thought the rules didn’t apply to them and, as you say, Chris, had the attitude that because it’s different to how they run things then it’s automatically not as good. I think it’s inevitable, to be honest. Fellow hosts are bound to be more critical.