Just one of those requests

We are not super-keen on renting to Superhosts or Hosts in general. Every time we have rented to any host, we have got the dreaded, my house is a better value than your house private feedback. They typically detail how much nicer their flat is than ours, why we charge way too much and there’s is half the cost, etc. My last response to one of these people was ‘Maybe you shouldn’t book your holiday during the Summer and look for a more budget time of year, our prices reflect the high demand of the season’.

As a guest, we have also found it hard to book ABBs, bc of host’s perception that other hosts are too judgey.

3 Likes

(Waves to the part-time ‘Lady from Spain’)

I have had about 6-8 hosts stay at my place, on the boat trip to it they talk about their place, on the trip back they talk about my place. Overall all they have been cool, but I could imagine the comparisons if our two places were somewhat similar.

2 Likes

I used to be a restaurant manager after years working fast food and waiting tables and it’s hard for me to have a great experience eating out (though I’m always kind, forgiving of issues as I know what can happen, and I always tip well). But once you know the ins and outs it’s really easy to be critical of how others do the same thing you do. But then it makes you really appreciate the places that are different than yours for what they are and the hosts that are truly super.

1 Like

I understand being wary of hosts/superhosts (I’m one myself LOL). I had a very polite enquiry from a host a few days ago asking for a discount for a 5 day booking along with several other questions which are all in my blurb listing. I politely replied I wouldn’t be giving a discount as my listings are pretty fully booked, and I suggested she reads the entire listing as her questions should be answered there. She writes back again with more questions - can I use the kitchen, is there a bbq at least we can use, etc. Again, all in the frigging listing blurb! I suggested she might want to look at my other self contained listing (also $30 a night more). I haven’t heard back from her. And that’s a host…

1 Like