It's not to often a guest inquiry surprises me like this one lol

Hi Letti,

Not sure I’ve already contacted you about this property. My messages are not showing for some reason, but I wanted to know if you would do this stay for $250 total?

Thank You,

XXXX

Okay this request is from a local and it would be for 50% off for a single Saturday night booking. We replied “Sorry we can not.” she then sends this:

Okay thank you. If you decide to give a discount please let me know.

What surprised me though was her one review that was a 1* and that she thinks anyone would host her again let alone give her a 50% discount, especially since her review trashed the host and demanded a full refund. The host had 85 reviews before her all 5*. Some people just think they are so entitled.

15 Likes

Oh boy. Good on you for refusing.

3 Likes

I’d be tempted to mention it. OTOH maybe best not to tip her off that some hosts notice these things.

6 Likes

This has to be one of my not-favorite messages. Along with early check-in, late-check out, laundry at 10pm… But the discount and early check in usually go hand-in-hand.

Aaahhh… Nope.

And I no longer use the “sorry” word. “Our rates are competitive for our marketplace and discounts are offered for stays of longer duration. Good luck.”

14 Likes

Early check in can be helpful People arrive at airport at all hours.

2 Likes

I still use “I’m sorry” …but in my head, unless I’m actually apologizing for something, it just means “Yeah, I don’t think so.”

6 Likes

Hence the birth of “sorry, not sorry.” I’m sure you’ve heard about the studies that say women are much more likely to apologize for things like this than men are.

2 Likes

Women usually always use more passive voice preceded by an apology or some sort of conciliatory word.

I have always worked in male dominated industries and learned early on to speak “guy speak.”

I recently had a man say, after I said NO, “oh we won’t cancel.” In my head I thought “Oh fu-k it wasn’t a request, it was a demand” and I replied “I’m on the phone with AirBnB canceling you and since we’re going to be running in to each other, I’m thoroughly annoyed that you put me in this uncomfortable position.”

I don’t know how or what he was thinking after that as the cancellation kicked in.

When you as a host lay down the law and it doesn’t get listened to, it’s time to lose the “nice girl sorry” voice.

end rant<

15 Likes

Yes they do arrive at all hours. However, most people can grab lunch and lock their goods in the trunk/boot and take a cruise around the area. And hotels still make them wait to check in.

I also work from home and NEED the time to change over from the guest the night before.

Just last week I had FOUR one-night bookings (almost said one night stands!) and getting the room and house prepped in between would have been hell on my work schedule without the 4pm check in. And I have multiples of bedding, linens, etc.

I have someone coming in a month who asked "well what are we supposed to do with our luggage in the meantime? " Um, you’re renting a car. Get a late breakfast, lock the car, see you at 4.

5 Likes

Of course! You’re a bitch if you do and a bitch when you won’t. I’ve resigned to being a bitch all the time. Makes life easier. :rofl:

12 Likes

Yeah, no instant book for one star ratings!

3 Likes

Best thing about AirBnB compared to Hotels is the flexibility and the human aspect of traveling. If it is possible for a check in early its a great bonus. When I host I most of the time allow early check in when the guest ask. I am happy to provide service beyond hotel standards.

But if there is NOT possibility for a early check in it is what it is of course.

2 Likes

I say “sorry” for everything. But then, I’m British, we apologise to lamp-post when we walk into them …

Sorry.

18 Likes

I once saw someone in downtown Chicago do this lol and I’m pretty sure he wasn’t British. It gave me and few others a good chuckle for the day. He just walked right into it, grabbed it and said “So sorry”. It was after 5 PM so he may have been at a happy hour first :rofl:

8 Likes

Amen, sister!
If something happens that’s unfortunate, but not my fault, I say “I know this isn’t the way either one of us wanted things to turn out, but …”
And I’ve stopped saying “Sorry, we can’t” and I now say a simple “We won’t”. “Can’t” gives them an opening. For instance “We can’t give a discount” and they come back and say “If I clean myself, will you waive the cleaning fee?”

5 Likes

Tell them to rent your place the night before, too, of course!

8 Likes

I find this one of the most endearing qualities of the British… that and a sensible tea.

6 Likes

this!! Simple declarative words that mean Yes or No. Doesn’t mean those words will be respected, but at least you’re not hiding behind passive voice.

1 Like

#Truth. You wouldn’t believe the names I’ve been called in meetings and at work when, as the only woman in the room and the project lead, I’ve said “no” or pointed out the clauses in contracts…

I’m actually concerned about this booking because the whining of “what are we supposed to do…” means they expect me to problem solve BASIC life issues. This isn’t even a problem.

As for those who offer ea!)rly check in - good for you. I can’t and won’t. (that’s for you @PitonView

3 Likes

LOL. Good for you!..