It's not to often a guest inquiry surprises me like this one lol

She’s a local contacting a bunch of listings for a discounted Saturday night stay, and has a 1-star review. Sounds like she’s seeking a party venue. I’m glad you declined. What does her review say?

I probably wouldn’t alert her to her review history when declining because then she may realize AirBnB lets guests open multiple accounts.

4 Likes

I have yet to come across a hotel that won’t store my bags until checkin or after checkout.

When I am traveling, and have booked a STR with a later checkin than my arrival I will ask if they know anywhere I can store my bags. In Paris there are places with huge lockers just for storing luggage for the day. Who knew? That was a great tip. If you don’t have room to store bags you might want to find somewhere local where your guests would be able to drop bags so they can tour around.

My rentals have garages. If we are still cleaning they can drop their bags in the garage.

1 Like

I knew. They used to be really common and rail stations and airports had them. But after 9/11 they seemed to disappear. I’m glad they are making a comeback.

1 Like

I live in a suburb where a car is a necessity for any guest coming here. Ergo, bags can be locked in cars and people can tour around and grab brunch, take a waterside walk and stretch, plenty to do before 4 pm.

I’m an in-home host renting a room and a bath and who works from home and in between all that goes on, I’m not taking in bags (equaling early check in, often when other guests are here already and getting ready to go out) unless it’s an emergency.

I’m not in a major city where bags can be dropped in lockers until the guest suite is ready.

Every host here is different. Every response is in accordance with how the host runs their business. You can take bags. I won’t.

Again, rental cars needed to stay where I am, they can be locked. Easy answer.

Plus, the guests already have me concerned about their neediness.

1 Like

As someone who was once followed home (I suspect, the guy was with me for 20 miles but then didn’t make a final turn into my neighborhood) and had my car broken into that same night I’m leery of leaving bags in a locked trunk. That was 30 years ago, I hope trunks are harder to break into now.

Nope, they are even easier with the child proof safety stuff added to them. This is one of the big reasons I offer luggage drop off and will hold it for while after they check out at no charge. We had one guest not take us up on this and his laptop he left in his car got fried in the high Texas heat at SeaWorld, which we are only 15 minutes away from. Boy, did he regret that one.

1 Like

I offer early check in for a fee, when available. We sell time, time is money.

RR

I had a request to book yesterday, same day booking and the reason it was a request instead of IB was they wanted an early check in. I accepted the request and told them they could check in early for a fee:) . They checked in at the regular time.

RR

1 Like

Then why not just change your check-in time to “Flexible”? If you are flexible with it then list it as a flexible check-in time, it is one of the choices. You are doing your fellow hosts a disservice by putting an actual check-in time but actually being flexible about it.

It’s my pet peeve for guests to ask for an early check-in. If I was flexible, I would say the check-in time was flexible. If I didn’t mind guests coming at 3:00, then I’d say the check-in time is at 3:00. But I say check-in is at 4:00 and that is what I mean. Perhaps if you also said what you mean, e.g. that your check-in time is flexible, then guests would take the check-in times seriously and not immediately try to push boundaries by changing them because when they ask some hosts say ‘yes’.

I am too. I’ll take your dog out, scrape ice off your windshield and prepare a custom walking-tour of our neighborhood. But not until check-in time. Grrrrrr.

If the check-in time is not listed as “Flexible”, then there is no reason to believe that it is possible. I really beg that hosts accurately list their check-in time because I don’t have the option of saying “not flexible” I only have the option of saying 4:00 pm, which is what I do.

end of rant.

2 Likes

“Flexible” is TOO flexible! Guests could interpret that as anytime that day (inlcuing 12:01 AM) or until the wee hours of the morning. I just have in my listing “Early check in may be available - please inquire”

3 Likes

“Flexible” doesn’t require a modifier. It is either flexible or it isn’t. If a an early check-in may be available, then it is indeed flexible.

I thought everywhere has that? I admit that I’m usually in a car so don’t need to use them but certainly in England railway and bus stations used to be full of ‘left luggage lockers’. They were often used for nefarious purposes too. :wink:

I do think it’s mildly inconsiderate of guests to ask for an early check in. I have a five hour turnover window and on some days, that’s the case with both apartments. Getting two apartments ready in between 11 am and 4 pm can be one hell of a workout.

There’s no problem with asking though so I don’t mind if guests do so. And if they really have nowhere to store their luggage then I’m happy to take it into my own apartment. It only takes a minute of my time but yet it’s really appreciated. Same with post-checkout.

1 Like

No, it’s less common due the terrorist incidents over the years. The places that do still have them tend to have airline security type x-ray machines, which obviously come at a cost.

We’ve used the lockers at a few Spanish railway stations and everything gets scanned, even the bags you are not leaving, but entering the locker area with.

JF

1 Like

I live in a midsized US city. There’s nowhere here that I know of to store luggage. No bus station any more. No lockers that I’ve ever seen at the airport. And nowhere else.

These places in Paris are stand alone self checkin luggage storage. I used one in the St Germain area called City Locker. Close to a Metro, not anywhere near a train station.

We have two places that do within about a mile. One of the hotels will look after bags, even for non-residents. Also (of all places) our local UPS branch does too. Neither of them advertise the fact though so there might be somewhere near you if you can unearth it.

1 Like

Yes, sorry, I agree with you.

Lol. We have many who msg to negotiate price. The best one was the guest who wanted to meet at 5pm at the church opposite our property to discuss price! Always a very polite NO!

1 Like

This is so spot on.
I often think about how my host photo (I’m a young woman) has to match up with my “nice girl sorry” tone. I, too, have worked in male-dominated arenas and got good at standing my ground and being clear.
“Sorry” becomes “We cannot allow that.”

2 Likes

Or “we will not allow that” to be even more firm.

2 Likes