Is it difficult for a group of 18-year olds to obtain a stay on Airbnb?

Of course this makes a difference. Did I mention that each of them comes downstairs daily to FaceTime with their mothers? Yes, young men who choose to stay in someone’s home are a self-selected group. However, shoveling almost 60’ of sidewalk, plus a driveway, makes them gold medalists in my book!

1 Like

They sound awesome as are, IMHO, most youngsters. I do tire of people bitching about young people.

The young men have left and the rooms were left in pristine condition as well! Towels were hung on towel rods. Duvets were folded neatly at the bottom of the beds. No papers or grit on the floors. No toothpaste smears on the bathroom vanity or in the sink, and just two hairs in the tub/shower.

1 Like

I was just trying to get an Airbnb I just turned 18 a few months ago. Oh god!? Right. I mean I am really bummed because me and my four friends wanted to get a place for the weekend (all 18). I knew immediately it was not that simple and we tried three times only to be denied. What is the best way to approach this when asking the owner for their trust in their property? I know an extra deposit can help out but it’s really tough trying to describe what type of person I am to them. My messages seemed to be authentic as possible. Seriously though I live alone and it has been this way for a while and was looking forward to seeing my buddies after break. What’s the general answer to a person like me?

You might want to do a couple short, inexpensive bookings by yourself to build up some good guest reviews.

Or find a guesthouse on a property where the hosts live. That way a remote host won’t be concerned you’re there just to party and may not treat the rental well.

2 Likes

@Woodykirkwood It’s not just a matter of what kind of person you are. There are plenty of people, of all ages who are nice, polite, and well-intentioned, but not good guests.

I know plenty of young people who would be good guests. But those are people I know. It’s quite natural for young people to be rambunctious, not think too much about what they are doing when having a good time, not consider things like grabbing good towels to wipe up some mess, or try to ‘fix’ something they’ve broken or stained in order not to be taken to task for it, in the process making it worse.

Nor do the majority of people your age know how to clean up after themselves well. I say this as someone who raised three kids and had tons of teenagers hanging out at my place- I very much like young people. But I wouldn’t trust a bunch of 18 year old guys who were strangers to me to rent my house.

The suggestion to look for a place that is a separate building on the property where the host lives is your best bet, but it’s no guarantee you’ll be accepted.

There was no such thing as Airbnb when I was young. We stayed at hostels or went camping or had vans we could travel with and live in. I’m not sure why 18 year olds think they need a whole private home to rent.

@Woodykirkwood I would not turn down your group, I am on instant book with no age requirements. Have you tried the instant book filter?

That being said, I would keep an eye out because 5 teenagers…

Good luck

RR

2 Likes

I don’t understand. Are you writing the hosts and saying, “hey, I just turned 18”? That is the only way I’d know that you are 18, if you told me. If you are not telling them you are 18, then it may just be because you are a new user without any reviews. I recommend you fill out your profile as fully as possible, including the bio, and get all of the verifications that you can (ID, phone, email, work, etc,). Some hosts are leery with new users so it helps to demonstrate cooperation by filling out your profile and getting verified.

Or are you getting Airbnb’s message that because you are “under 25” that you can’t rent an entire place a certain (no one knows what it is) distance from your home? If that’s the case, then the only solution is to rent a place further away or to rent a shared space or a hotel room until you get three good reviews so that they lift the under-25 restriction.

Personally, I don’t care if guests are 18. You may just be unlucky with the hosts you are contacting. Perhaps you are trying to rent a large, expensive property? Some hosts have to worry about parties happening. But there are hosts like me who live on the property, though you have your own private apartment, or hosts that live across the street or something that are less likely to worry about your group of 18 year olds.

Don’t tell hosts, “hey I just turned 18”. Tell them, “I’m new to Airbnb…”.

1 Like

Your probably being caught out by Airbnb’s restrictions on young people without reviews trying to book a whole listing locally.

Try a different platform or as you live on your own invite your friends to stay with you @WoodyKirkwood

Hostels are the perfect answer for this group. I’ve stayed in hostels in New Zealand and San Fran (there’s a gorgeous one down by the San Fran bridge that is very reasonable) and met wonderful people and had a blast.

Yes there is. Every adult offering advice here has been 17-22 once and we know what we were capable of, even if we were on the National Honor Society. Of course you as the person booking - or any of your party - in asking to book at under 25 years of age needs to vouch for the group. You were told several times to write a letter to the potential host about all of you and what you’re doing in the city and house.

If my house were a whole home rental, I’d be unwilling to rent to your group due to the unfenced canal access, the pool, and the fact that it’s a great place to throw a party. I know this because several locals have tried to rent it for a day for 21st birthdays. Um, nope.

This. Honestly, even if you’re split into 2-3 rooms in a hostel, you’ll have a blast and meet like-minded people of all ages from all parts of the world (that can still travel anyway).

Good luck. You have a lot of good feedback here and I know we all hope you and your friends have a fantastic holiday soon.

This thread is over 3 years old and many posters are no longer active.

1 Like

Click on the number of guests under “details of the reservation”, and you should be able to see all the names of the travel compagnons only if the guest who booked has given them, which is rather rare.