Is it difficult for a group of 18-year olds to obtain a stay on Airbnb?

The way it usually works is for one person to do the booking with the host. However, there is no reason (and nothing in the Airbnb messaging system) that stops other members of the party, provided they have an Airbnb account, from messaging the host separately. Though it would appear as a separate thread, and I’m not sure what purpose it would serve. Most likely it would just confuse the host.

1 Like

As an 18-yr. old, you state: “Understandably, 18-year olds aren’t ideal guests and can cause many accidents.” So, you have already basically answered your question, “Is it difficult for 18 year olds to obtain a stay on Airbnb?” The answer, of course, is yes.

Like it or not, there are stereotypes.

While there may be exceptions, I am sorry to say there is little doubt that a poll (GutHend?) of hosts would reveal that renting our Airbnb property to a group of four teens and two 21-yr. olds is highly unlikely.

1 Like

POLL TIME !

Supposing your listing/s can accommodate, would you rent your property to a group of six 18-to-21 olds?

• Yes, I don’t see any problem
  • Yes, I think I can’t refuse because of AirBnB’s anti-discrimination policy
  • Probably
  • Depends, … (feel free to specify below)
  • Unlikely
  • No, definitely not

0 voters

3 Likes

Depends on the purpose of their visit, so a good explanation would be vital. We are not a place for people who do full time partying.

On the other hand, we are on Instant Book so we can’t prevent youngsters from booking.

2 Likes

Methinks you have missed your calling! Good job on covering the options.

I also wondered at their purpose when the OP listed two destinations that are on opposite ends of the continent and also didn’t vouch for his friends (behavior-wise) in light of the comments.

If you have trouble obtaining an appropriate Airbnb booking in your chosen city, may I suggest that you look into staying at a Hostelling International Youth Hostel? They have 1 hostel in Boston and 3 in SF. HI Hostels are in wonderful locations, very inexpensive and (here’s the important bit) are made for groups like yours. I’ve met wonderful people staying in hostels. Most have kitchens you can use to cook meals, if you are trying to save even more money. Check it out: https://www.hiusa.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQiAieTUBRCaARIsAHeLDCRUZifN1mQ87IrXpibl6rP9LmTRggMeY7LIOrsemjS1T6xE1s0mqBkaAs_jEALw_wcB

6 Likes

Excellent suggestion and solution! Thanks for your input.

1 Like

Hello,
There is no reason to vouch for my friends, as I know that they’re pretty responsible. I won’t say that they’re perfect (as nobody is), but yeah. None of the comments directly referred to my friends, so I didn’t say anything.
I listed San Fran and Boston because they’re the two places we want to visit most. We’ve all saved up a good amount of money by working part-time, so destination (within the continental US) isn’t really an issue.

Well… Are you planning on partying?

In those two locations, your biggest challenge will be finding a place that can house this larger number of people. Then secondarily, you will have the issue of your age. Boston and San Francisco have smaller accommodations. For example, in my City which is 1.2 miles from the center of Boston, by law, I can not accept this many people who are not part of the same family. It is what it is.

I didn’t respond to one of the posts asking who would accept you since, it isn’t an option to have this many people staying together in my City or in my home.

1 Like

In my case, we were just looking for slightly cheaper alternatives to hotels. Most of the day would be going around touring the city. As you know, Boston and San Francisco are huge cities full of rich history. We were considering Airbnb because seemed cheaper and larger (in some cases) than a nice hotel, so we thought "Why not?"
But judging from the response to the post, I guess it’s a more difficult process than I’ve anticipated.

And no, no partying! If my parents found out…oh man haha. I don’t drink or smoke…hopefully will still be clean in the future.

1 Like

Andrew, you certainly get an “A” for perseverance – good for you that you are still committed on your mission.

Seriously though, you ought to look into the hostel recommendation in those locales. You say you are looking for something “a little cheaper” than a hotel but you will find that hostels will be a LOT cheaper than an Airbnb. Airbnb’s usually have add-on expenses such as cleaning and service fees and there will likely be different types and grades of sleeping accommodations within the rental…not six individual and equally comfortable beds!

A litmus test might be to have your five buddies stay in your home for a few days (with your parents gone) and see what it’s like to have them caring for your parents’ property, and cooking and keeping things reasonably clean and neat. It will be required in an Airbnb rental.

Another thing that comes to mind is why are you doing all the leg work for the group for such a major trip/adventure when there are two 21-year olds in the group who might fare better with their experience.

I’m sure most of us wish you luck…but do look into the hostel option.

3 Likes

I like you, my son! :rofl::rofl:

Hi @andrew7189,

How many of your party either drink or smoke or both? If none or few of them do, you could mention that upfront in any message to Airbnb hosts, and it will go a long way towards reassuring them. I’m really no expert on this, but I suppose it’s hard to get a good party going without alcohol.

You should realise (if you haven’t already) that all of us fear our places being trashed more than almost anything. My personal bugaboo is fire, so I tend to look askance at smokers. My guest room is non-smoking, but I still get the occasional smoker.

I think that @SandyToes makes good points about the hostel option, though. An Airbnb for 6 people is unlikely to be cheap, even divided 6 ways. And also the point about running a test first.

There are definitely some hosts that cater more towards young people. I have 2 listing, one for a campsite and one for an RV on my 5 acre farm. The majority of my guests are young people going to concerts or festivals and need a cheap safe place to stay. I just started out with my listing, but so far no issues! I am young myself, so maybe I’m more trusting/tolerant of young people :slight_smile: I actually have 6 kids coming to camp out at my place tomorrow night. If your group ever needs a place to stay in Florida I’d be glad to host you

1 Like

Keep in mind the problem many people have with a group of youngsters is the damage they may cause. Harder to break a campsite.

1 Like

Yep hence my comment that my listings cater more towards young people…

I have a group of 19 year olds staying with me right now while they are on break from college. Such a nice group! How nice you ask? They are doing their dishes even when told they don’t need to. But the clincher? This morning there was 8" of wet and sloppy, what is called heart attack, snow on the ground this morning, and they shoveled my walks, decks, and driveway including the crud that the plow left behind. These young men are getting pancakes in the morning if they want them.

To be honest, I didn’t know their ages when they booked and only learned how young they were when they explained that though they love to have a bit of beer with their meals, in the US, they are not old enough to drink.

4 Likes

Also you’re on site. If six 17 to 21 year olds want to rent my standalone house that is different than if they want to stay in it with me. LOL.