Is 4PM a too late checkin time?

Hi guys,

So I have been managing two buildings next to each other for a while now. However I have had some problems to find the right cleaning crew and finally I found a great guy but he would work by himself. However, currently in both building i have these checkin and checkout times: noon and 3PM. Therefore if I have several checkouts and checkins in the same apartments the very same day he won’t be able to make it. For that reason I am thinking about changing the checkins and checkouts time to the following

Building A: 11AM and 2PM
Building B: 1PM and 4PM.

By doing this we would extend our cleaning time two hours and would make a huge difference. The thing is that I am afraid that 11AM is too early to make people checkout and specially 4PM to late to checkout.

Please let me know your thoughts

This very old poll can give you an idea of what other people do:

3 Likes

11:00 am is very typical for US based properties. I don’t think it is too early.

3 Likes

I manage 4 properties - out at 10 and in at 3, I always ask the estimated arrival time and juggle the order to suit, latest in is last cleaned. When the first is ready I text the guest to let them know that it is ready, and so on. To clean all 4 is approximately 12 hours in total, but not often all are checking out the same day. I also ask what time they intend to leave as that helps with scheduling order.

1 Like

My check in is 4:00 checkout is 11:00
Works for me:)

RR

3 Likes

I am 11am/4pm as well. I find that people wait until the absolutely last minute to start packing up their car and are almost always a little last leaving, so I don’t usually get cleaning started until 11:30. Just in case they left me a big mess, I want to have a full 4 hours to get the house done and get out of the way before the next guest arrives.

1 Like

11 am and 4 pm here too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

11 and 4 for us, too.
But we are in a fly-to location and most of the flights arrive about 2pm in the afternoon and leave about 3pm. We’re an hour from the airport and it usually takes an hour to clear immigration and customs. So almost no one ever arrives before 4pm.

Sometimes our guests overstay checkout since they don’t have to leave until noon for the airport. But our house rules include that our housekeeper can enter the house at 10 AM on the checkout day and begin cleaning. It’s a big house and she works around them, and no one has ever complained one bit.l Then we don’t have to kick them out at 11 if they don’t need to leave for the airport until noon.

3 Likes

Our check-in is 4-6PM; check-out at 11AM. What works for you depends on where you live, the tourist traffic, flight/boat/train schedules, etc.

4 Likes

We have self check in after 6 pm and sometimes have guests arriving at crazy hours like 2 am or similar. Just as often, guests have to check out at 6 pm to get to the airport for an early flight. So no standard check in and check out times are going to be fine with everyone.

2 Likes

IDC when they check in (after 4), but checkout is 11!

Or they can pay to stay late, I send a message on checkout morning. Good morning I hope you enjoyed your stay, just to remind you checkout is 11 and housekeeping is scheduled. Late checkout, 1:00 is available for a $50 fee. Please let me know as soon as possible if you would like a late checkout so I can let the housekeeper know.

Works every time, either they are out on time or they pay the fee:)

RR

5 Likes

In coastal SC, it is common to see check out time 10 am, check in 4 pm to give the cleaners a chance to get to multiple properties. It all depends upon your area.

My rental that is not in a traditional tourist area, I’ve had several guests expect a noon check in and be disappointed that check in is 1:00 or later.

1 Like

11 and 4 here, as needed by our housekeeper. We will accommodate early or late if we can and requested beforehand.

I recently changed to a 4 pm checkin time after years of being 3 pm. I always allow early check in if the room is ready. With 11 am check out that will never be before 1pm. I don’t advertise this, it’s case by case basis. I could definitely see denying it to an entitled jerk.

3 Likes

I have always been out at 11am (which is considered late for a hotel in Australia) and in at 1pm. But due to an injury I have had to make it 2pm. But as I live upstairs I give people the option of checking out late (especially if it is a Sunday and they arrived late Friday after work) up to 1pm or checking in early (midday) if there are no guests arriving or leaving on those days. Most guests still leave around 11 but appreciate not having to be definitely out by then. I find most people arrive an hour late anyway as they misjudge the traffic on a Friday afternoon. In my arrival message it says: check in is 2pm unless by prior arrangement depending on previous guests. I also find most guests enquiries about check in is when they are arriving late and I tell them to go in because the door will be unlocked and no need to meet me that night.

2 Likes

Check-in: 4-7pm. Check-out: noon

My guests all arrive by car and most are coming from one of several big cities 5+hrs away for a weekend stay so my check-in time is late to accommodate people who leave work on a Friday afternoon.

I guess I am the absolute outlier on this one: flexible on both Check-In and Check-Out

Most of the guests at one listing will be either arriving or departing and if there are overlaps it still all works out. We are just a bit more relaxed here.

And at the beach location we can do it because we don’t do back to back bookings because we want to be more relaxed. Plus I think it is a great plus for a guest to be able to enjoy the beach until they head back to the city …

5 Likes

We are 11AM checkout and 3PM or later checkin. We most often get guests asking for an early check in. We accommodate about 1/3 of the time I’d say.

1 Like

Please do another poll! I love your polls

We have 12pm check out and 4 pm check in. Also works.