SUPER POLL on Check IN / Luggage drop off / Check OUT / Luggage storage /

Inspired by @KKC’s topic …

Please answer for your main listing (or the one that is most representative for your hosting style), and do so for it’s current settings.
Try to choose the option that comes closest.

PLEASE, only start discussing below after having answered the questions. I know sometimes no answer will perfectly fit you, but please choose the one that fits you best. Thank you!

DISCLAIMER: Polls aren’t flexible and can’t cater to everyone’s specifics :slightly_smiling_face:. Without a doubt this poll has its flaws :rofl:.

:bust_in_silhouette::arrow_right: :house: CHECK IN :inbox_tray:

01/ Check IN - STARTING FROM … as shown on AirBnB

• Flexible
  • 08:00
  • 09:00
  • 10:00
  • 11:00
  • 12:00
  • 13:00
  • 14:00
  • 15:00
  • 16:00
  • 17:00
  • 18:00
  • 19:00
  • 20:00
  • 21:00
  • 22:00
  • 23:00
  • 0:00
  • 1:00 (next day)

0 voters

02/ Supposing guests ask nicely and your listing is ready, do you allow EARLY check in?

• Does not apply (= I’m flexible for EARLY check in)
  • Yes, I try to be as flexible as I can
  • Yes, but I put a limit on it (e.a. 1 hour early)
  • Depends, if I myself am available
  • Depends, only if I’m in the mood
  • No, I’m never available outside my check in hours
  • No, I don’t allow regardless

0 voters

03/ If you allow EARLY check in, do you charge extra for it?

• Does not apply (= I don’t allow early check in)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

04/ When EARLY check in is NOT allowed or possible, do you allow early luggage drop off?

• Does not apply (=early check in is always allowed and possible)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

05/ If you allow early luggage drop off, do you charge extra for it?

• Does not apply (= I don’t allow early luggage drop off)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

06/ When EARLY check in is NOT allowed or possible, do you allow guests to hang around the property (garden, communal space,…) before checking in (to their private space)?

• Does not apply (=early check in is always allowed and possible)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

07/ Check IN - UNTIL … as shown on AirBnB

• Flexible
  • 09:00
  • 10:00
  • 16:00
  • 17:00
  • 18:00
  • 19:00
  • 20:00
  • 21:00
  • 22:00
  • 23:00
  • 0:00
  • 1:00 (next day)
  • 2:00 (next day)

0 voters

08/ Supposing guests ask nicely, do you allow LATE check in?

• Does not apply (= I’m flexible for LATE check in)
  • Yes, but I put a limit on it (e.a. 1 hour late)
  • No, I’m never available outside my check in hours

0 voters

09/ If you allow LATE check in, do you charge extra for it?

• Does not apply (= I don’t allow late check in)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

:outbox_tray: CHECK OUT :house: :bust_in_silhouette::arrow_right:

10/ Check OUT - BEFORE … as shown on AirBnB

• Flexible
  • 00:00 - 07:00
  • 08:00 - 10:00
  • 16:00 - 18:00
  • 19:00 - 23:00

0 voters

11/ Supposing guests ask nicely and no other guests are coming in, do you allow LATE check out?

• Does not apply (= I’m flexible for LATE check out)
  • Yes, but I put a limit on it (e.a. 1 hour later)

0 voters

12/ If you allow LATE check out, do you charge extra for it?

• Does not apply (= I don’t allow late check out)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

13/ When LATE check out is NOT allowed or possible, do you store luggage for guests (pick up on day of checkout)?

• Does not apply (=late check out is always allowed and possible)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

14/ If you store luggage (pickup on day of check out), do you charge extra for it?

• Does not apply (= I don’t store luggage)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

15/ When LATE check out is NOT allowed or possible, do you allow guests to hang around the property (garden, communal space,…) after checking out of their private space?

• Does not apply (=late check out is always allowed and possible)
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

:gift: SENDING PACKAGES

16/ Supposing they ask you nicely, do you allow guests to send packages to your address?

• Yes, always
  • Depends
  • No, never

0 voters

:briefcase: :briefcase: :briefcase: LUGGAGE STORAGE FOR A FEW DAYS

17/ Do you offer luggage storage for guests taking a side trip?

• Yes, always
  • Probably
  • Depends
  • Unlikely
  • No, never

0 voters

18/ If you offer this kind of luggage storage, do you charge for it?

• Does not apply (I don’t offer)
  • Yes, a fee per day
  • Yes, a fixed fee
  • No, this is a free service I offer

0 voters

Congratulations you made it through the poll ! :tada: :confetti_ball: :tada:

PLEASE, only start discussing below after having answered the questions. I know sometimes no answer will perfectly fit you, but please choose the one that fits you best. Thank you!

7 Likes

Nice job on the poll, you smart person you!! :rofl:

12 Likes

Well that was fun. I marked the wrong answer for one. Lol woops

6 Likes

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: I think you can still change your answer. Aren’t you able to just click another option?

Yup! It worked! Didn’t work before I commented lol. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That poll was remarkably . . . complete.
I have thought of getting a big plastic garden storage bin with a padlock and putting it in back of house by the garage to allow guests to store luggage, has anyone tried something like that? Then I’m thinking, oh bother, they’ll have trouble opening it, and I won’t be there to help, and they’ll miss their flight or whatever, then they’ll hate me.
I actually have no way to police that guests are departing on time – my keypad schlage is set by hand, not the remote model, and I’m at work all day. Shhhh. Outdoor security cam is on my to-do list.

5 Likes

OMG, I answered wrong on one too…

You can correct by just choosing another option :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Oh I see. It wouldn’t let me correct until I clicked out of it and back in.

2 Likes

That was a magnificent poll! I also answered one incorrectly, will go back and correct it now

2 Likes

Great work. I can see this becoming a regular thing on this forum.

3 Likes

Nice work, @GutHend. You should do this professionally.

I see I’m in the mainstream on most things, except that I don’t allow early bag dropoff. Still no luggage storage unit to keep it in.

2 Likes

Thank you @faheem and others ! The problem is that today I’m already seeing a few flaws (and writing errors :roll_eyes:) that crept into the poll :disappointed:. It’s very hard to give the exact right indications to everyone, so they don’t get confused and tick the right box. I was born burdened with perfectionism which can be difficult at times :confounded:.

Putting everything into perspective, it is nice to see the results coming in and it is a good way to get a better idea of what is more or less common. In a regular “discussion” topic the impression we get of what is ‘normal’ is often tainted by people expressing their opinion more strongly. I will put myself in that category :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. That’s why well designed polls give a much better overview of what hosts do ‘on average’, which is nice :relaxed:.

Now, to make it a bit more representative, we only need a few hundred more participants :grin:.

So please people, keep the voting coming !

To everyone, if you ever need to make a poll and you’re unsure how to do it technically, just contact me through private message. The easiest for me is if you already designed the poll with questions and possible answers, but if your also unsure about these, I can always also give it a shot. For your information: A poll can be single choice / multiple choice, limited to 10 possible answers, or number rated, which I still need to study.

4 Likes

I love that you put in “asks nicely” for so many of them. It absolutely affects my answers! :slight_smile:

I did have to change one answer, but it was not the fault of the question! I just remembered i let a guest traveling by motorcycle leave his stuff with me for a few days after he checked out, so i had to change my "no, never " to unlikely. :smiley:

5 Likes

I had to go change a couple of answers after taking the poll last night on my phone. And as you said not every question can accomodate every possible answer. I’ve had several guests who check out go to their car in the driveway and sit there quite a while. I think 40 minutes is the record. I assume they are using the wifi or talking on the phone. Just last week I let a guest check in early and leave her luggage while she went out for the day before her flight. I offered the early check in without her asking and offered late check out as well. She said she didn’t need late check out but asked if she could leave her bag. These offers were contingent on the room not being booked the days before and after, which is almost unheard of here. The other thing is that she was here doing an event which aligns with my values so I wanted to be extra helpful. Thanks again for putting this together.

3 Likes

It was a little self-revealing for me. I seem to come across as a bit of a Grinch :persevere: because I give with one hand, “Well, of course you can have an early check-in or late checkout!”

…and take with the other: “but it’ll cost ya’!” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I think maybe the thing that surprised me most about the results this poll is how few people charge for the extras. So, I guess if I want to stay with the majority, I would have to not charge for things like holding luggage either. Darn.

1 Like

…but that’s only if you want to be with the majority. (Don’t mind me…I’ll just be off to the side…counting my money.) … :laughing:

7 Likes

Yes, sadly I’m just a slave to conformity. Darn again.

4 Likes

Keep in mind the wide diversity of rentals. If I had a vacation rental in a tourist area or if I didn’t live on site, I might charge. If I bought a special lockable luggage storage, I might charge. I only do extras if it’s convenient, if it isn’t convenient, I don’t do it at all. It’s like Kona would charge for sending a package because she lives somewhere with no post office. I don’t charge because I can go online and schedule a package pickup at my house.

4 Likes