Instayers - do they drive you up the wall?

People who book to stay, say, at least 3 nights, and the hang out at home most of the time. (Shared Accommodation Situation.)

Does that bug you? What’s been your worst? And did you do anything (within reason) that changed their behavior?

I’ve had many guests who hang out here most of the day. I consider it a compliment to our listing. It doesn’t bug me at all with one exception. We had a guest who was an extremely light sleeper. She refused to use the ear plugs we supply. She ordered us to not make any noise while she was asleep. A few days into her stay she got sick. For four or five days she slept all day and night. That was frustrating.

1 Like

IN-stayers! LOL! Sounds like a Seinfeld term.

If people book a place in Hawaii right by the ocean and stay in 80 percent of the time, there is no hope for anywhere else. :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

I wonder if the IN-Stayers are also CLOSE-Talkers who participate in re-gifting?

3 Likes

It’s not my favorite and I wouldn’t call my place a shared accommodation. The room is attached to my house and there is a passage between their space and mine, but they don’t enter my space.

Before I made it a separate space I had a fellow who sat at my living room desk with his headphones on staring at his computer for the better part of a day and a half. Other times he was asking about my schedule and other things that were annoying but harmless. I suspect he wanted me to take him around town and show him things. He just didn’t go out much and didn’t stay gone long once he did. He was a 3 night guest.

I realized before I started airbnb that there is little I can do to change the behavior of others and any attempts to do so have uneven results. So to facilitate doing airbnb I undertook a major remodeling of my home. It was within reason for me, but your results may vary.

1 Like

Sometimes I get rather coiny.

See One-worders to describe 'em as they come

1 Like

We get these occasionally and it makes me nervous. Because we offer a ‘room-only’ type situation and no shared spaces. So the ones who stay in must be soooo bored and then I dread a bad review

1 Like

I’ve had quite a few of these in my time. They do my head in. Particularly when it’s a lovely day and there’s a beautiful city to explore. But there’s nothing you can do about it, other than shoo them out of the shared areas by hoovering and singing loudly and tunelessly with your headphones on. That seems to work :wink: Once I had a two-week stay where the guest was relocating to do a course at the local university. She was in the whole time studying and, even though there was a desk in her room, she would bring her laptop into the dining room. She wanted to talk all the time, I mean ALL the time. She would follow me around the house asking if she could help with domestic chores and telling me random weird stories of her rather uninteresting life. I took to setting an alarm on my phone at regular intervals so I could excuse myself and disappear saying ‘sorry, got to take this call’.

4 Likes

Would’ve been a good time to get that wallpaper refurb done. And the kitchen re-tiling too!

1 Like

Ha ha! Yes, I missed a trick there. It was during my early days of hosting, in my defense. Nowadays I would hand her some rubber gloves and bleach and say ‘cheers, the toilet needs a scrub’.

2 Likes

I think when you host at home I find myself doing a lot of lip biting. People have ever right to sit in their room all day and all night if they want. I think there are a lot of lonely people in this world, I was listening to a man talking to a radio show in Ireland, he said for the last few months he visits the grave of his wife twice a day so he could talk to someone, that is so sad. I get a good few solo travellers and they love to talk and I just try to remember even if I am fed up that it takes nothing to be kind to someone even if they stay in their room all day and night. I often make extra food or baking for a solo traveller, it has never been refused in 2 years.
We put TV’s in the two rooms we do short term rentals on, and they have a separate sitting room, so we are strict about using the family sitting room and we don’t let anyone use it anymore, it has less of an impact on family life so the children can watch cartoons after homework.

I have seen on hosts profile that they want guests out all day and not to return until the evening, and that would be the same with traditional b and b’s in Ireland not sure elsewhere in the world. i must look it up

1 Like

Very true. I do the same with my single guests if it seems appropriate. There’s a difference, though, between those guests who want a bit of company in the evening - just to show you the photos they took that day, for example - and those who want to take over your entire house, have the heating on all day and expect you to drop everything to attend immediately to their needs. I agree about needing to separate your family area/time and guests, also that instructing guests to be out all day is very off-putting!

When I was a child (LONG time ago) we used to go to Blackpool for our holidays. There was nearly always a rule among the fearsome landladies that guests had to be our of the house between about 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Many was the freezing cold afternoon we spent shivering in a bus shelter on the promenade …

You were also only allowed one bath per week!

1 Like

Our situation is a bit different as we only have people on vacation and our main attraction is the garden and pool. In July and August it’s really too hot to sightsee in the afternoon so we encourage guests to go exploring in the early morning and come back to relax in the afternoon. On the other hand, we’re ok if they want to hang around the pool all day.

The beaches near us are not very pretty, so I often say to the husband that we should import a load of sand and pour it over the lawn and we’d then have our own mini-resort!

Blackpool! I went to a conference there in my misspent youth, went clubbing with colleagues and got locked out of our dreadful B&B. And yes, she was a fearsome landlady.

1 Like

I don’t know yet, but suspect I will in ten days time. Ho hum.

This used to drive me nuts, as well. To try to circumvent that, if the guest hasn’t messaged as to why they’re coming to the city (99% of the time they do) I will ask. If for work, great because it’s usually out of the house. If for school, they may be in more. The great ones are for sightseeing. I have brochures in every room (especially ones for day trips) of tourist attractions etc. I enthusiastically tell them about all of sights that they might want to check out. It helps. I find that once someone gets in a pattern (i.e. staying in their room), it’s more difficult to change…

1 Like

Good points @HappyHost. I say things like “you have priority use of the bathroom before 9am so you can leave by then”. Which makes it sound like I’m making (bath)room for them but the hidden message is ‘leave by 9 latest!’

1 Like

Ooh, that’s a belter. Mind if I pinch it :nerd_face:

1 Like

Knock yourself oot!! :sunglasses: