Infants in room

No not worried about it. Just wondering—fortunately mistakenly— how a platform could get away with a “policy” that allows hosts the option to make guests pay more for kids. Someone would be sure to raise a ruckus! Although I did have a “giant” infant who was supposed to be Less than 2 and was probably 4, and left her little Cheetos fingers everywhere.

1 Like

To clarify : I think you are right that toddlers can do more damage than their parents. I would not charge more fora child but if I book for 4 guests and they sneak in a 4 yo on top of it and tell me they are an infant that is not right either. . I would love to change my listing to 5 yo and older as I do want to get kids with families, and I mention in my listin we are not appropriate for Toddlers as we have a glass shower and no crib or playpen. I still got the IB with the giant infant regardless.From what I have seen they only have 2 categories for kids: less than 2 and older than 2. For people with stairs, glass showers, lots of breakable decor— this I do not have— older kids would be better

No, you can specify that you are not suitable for children 12 and under.

EDIT to add: This is under “Listings”, then go to" Booking Settings", then scroll down and click on “House rules”.

1 Like

Airbnb’s age designations for children are obviously made by childless people. No parent ever refers to their one and half year old as an infant. In fact, parents would only call a very young baby, who basically couldn’t even turn over on their own yet, an infant, unless it meant they wouldn’t have to pay for them.

A logical designation for age groups, according to average child development would be:
Infant -a baby not yet mobile on their own
Toddler- walking to 5 years old
6-12
12-18

1 Like

[quote=“yecatsr, post:23, topic:43795”]
children 12 and under
[/

This would be a great breakdown and I would love to have them change this. 5-6 and older would be my preference. I am reluctant to cut out the 5 to 12 years. (The present delineations on airbnb do not meet the needs of my listing, however, and I am stuck with that as even when I write in that toddlers are not a good fit they do not read the listing and I am bypassed with IB anyway. )With some exceptions, most of these children —5 and older—are potty trained, won’t soak a bed with urine, won’t pull the TV set off of the console, won’t yank the bedside lamp down, and the list of hidden dangers goes on. I am both a mom and a grandmother and my listing is not toddler proof.

1 Like

Yep, mom of 3 and grandma of 6 here. It’s certainly possible for children over the age of 5 or 6 to be rambunctious and destructive, but that’s the parent’s fault for not watching and controlling the kids. And there are some kids as old as 11 that pee the bed.

But an average 5 or 6 year old is perfectly capable of understanding “No, that’s not something for you to touch” or " We have to be careful with the things here, they don’t belong to us", and sitting at the table to eat with utensils rather than being given finger food to walk around with and smear all over, whereas a 3 or 4 year old is more “in the moment” without a conscious thought process. That’s the difference, for me, in age distinctions.

1 Like

You can specify as you like in House Rules. Then enforce on the basis of "unsafe for infants and children of X ages (lack safety features, etc), and then there is always the “not allowed by your insurance policy”.

We have good reason to not allow infants from a safety standpoint. The same applies to toddlers (open stair well, railing gaps not compliant with modern standards, outlets do not have covers, etc.

We had one lovely woman stay with us several times with her 3 year old. She signed a quick indemnity contract to cover our rear.

The only downside was the glitter - that stuff is tricky to get off sofas and carpets.

1 Like

This makes much more sense! I’m not a draw for families in either of my listings so I don’t have to worry about it but I feel for hosts like you that do.

1 Like