I'm encouraging bad reviews and I hope you will too

Thank you for your helpful comments. I’ve edited my post for clarity. Hopefully everyone can understand it now.

1 Like

No? But ita touches your body directly. It’s same thing as using same cover sheet.
In my home country we also has it and when we had house guests my mom always put fresh one on

Yes I was, kind of, terrible insomnia atm. My apologies for the snarkiness - sorry.
And thank you @GutHend for giving me credit xxx

1 Like

My house is in Florida, we rent out the back apartment. I make up the apartment with a top sheet and a duvet. It’s amazing how many guests ask for blankets, some want two–the apartment has its own AC and ceiling fans. Lately when I make the bed I use a top sheet, put a blanket on top of that and a duvet on top of that. That way a guest can take their choice

, if they want a blanket on top of the sheet it is there; if they do not want the blanket they can take it off.

2 Likes

Identical to my setup.

My wife taught me to do something she calls a military “tuck,” in each step of the setup you fold under the sheets and blanket at the corners.
I am over six feet tall and have trouble bending down that low, so I got a stool with five wheels that is 28-inches high so I can lift up the mattress and tuck everything in on the corners without having to bend over. It is also useful in cleaning low parts of the shower.

I’ve never understood the military tuck (aka hospital corners). It cuts off circulation to my feet because I’ve always found you can’t sleep on your back with your ankles flexed normally at 90 degrees. Agony! anyway on my own bed – no flat sheet – just a duvet to dive under.

1 Like

It’s just for making the bed, it’s not intended that you can’t move the sheets in the bed. I do the corners and the only time they are undisturbed is when it looks like the guest slept on top of the bed instead of in the bed. I’ve also done it on some of my quilts/blankets or duvets when they are hanging too far down at the corners. It makes the tiny room look bigger too.

Yikes! I am 6’2" and have big feet–I thought you only only used the “tuck” to make everything neat looking until you were about to sleep in the bed and then you pulled all that out. I’d hate my feet to be bound like that!

I hope people staying here do not feel they have to sleep in the bed that way.

1 Like

@KKC @kaiserdr Wha, really? Jeez life’s too short to tuck in something that needs to be yanked out … IMO.

I know what you mean. But it’s a matter of looking neat and tidy. I’d rather just throw the clean towels on the bed since they are just going to get used again anyway. Why do I arrange the cups and snacks just so? OCD-like tendencies? Only one chance to make a good first impression? Believe me, I’m taking shortcuts in my personal life that more than make up for the time spent in the Airbnb rental.

5 Likes

Actually these are very astute techniques and strategies, consistency is key. I’m working on having a schedule for overall house cleaning and the like, along similar lines (vs. randomly noting problem areas and getting to them).

2 Likes

A recent guest commented she wished we had a broom so she could sweep the floor, I just bought one at WalMart.

2 Likes

We have just about every cleaning product known to man in the rentals, apart from steal-ables, such as the Dyson and the floor robots. If guests have the tools, they have no excuse not to leave the place in immaculate shape. :slight_smile:

I got knocked down on accuracy to 4 Stars (5 over all) because the pictures do not reflect how the large the place is. So while it is a compliment in away because it is larger than it appears but can not understand the reasoning behind the loss of a star. I would think someone would be pleased at the unexpected largeness of the home. It is difficult to photograph because of the shape of the room.

I faced this rating dilemna last week when I spent 3 nights as a guest while traveling with my mom. The ratings on this 3B/1B, 1000 sq ft single family home were all 5 star with a super host.

We arrived at check-in time to an 80 degree house and the sickening smell of too many air fresheners. We immediately removed all of the plug in fresheners (7 in total) and put them into a large ziplock bag on the screened porch. I then looked for a guest manual to find out how to turn on the A/C and get the Wi-Fi codes - no guest manual or instructions of any kind. I texted the host and asked for same, he informed me there was no Wi-Fi (my bad for assuming that everyone has Wi-Fi in a city setting) and that the thermostat was on the wall in the living room. Indeed it was, but it was so old the labels was worn off and I had to move the switches to a number of settings to figure out the heat vs. the A/C.

My mom then pointed out a number of holes in the drywall of her room and the eating area. The towel rack in the bathroom was missing - again, with raw holes in the drywall. We went to bed in an overly warm house (next morning discovered that all ceiling vents were closed) and found the sheets were 100% polyester - on top of a water proof mattress cover. There were 2 pillows on the bed, each about 2" thick. I had to stack 2 to sleep. There were 2 extra pillows in the doorless closet, but no linens. In three rooms, a total of 5 light bulbs were burned out and a glass globe was broken with jagged glass exposed.

The house was clean, except for stains on the carpet (in all bedrooms.) We spent very little time in the home, leaving early each day and arriving back in the evening.

I agonized over the rating for this home and settled on a 4 with sparse public comments about the good location and sent a very long note to the host. There was nothing in the Airbnb survey that addressed the disrepair of the home, the host did not have any information about linens or Wi-Fi in the listing.

I questioned whether my standards were too high and whether expectations are higher in the Washington D.C. area vs. Arkansas. How could 34 other people give a 5 star rating, when I experienced these issues. I tried to be overly fair. If I had not been a host, I would have rated this stay a 2 or 3 at the most.

Without seeing the listing, just based on your comments I’d say it was due to price.

But because you’re a host, you gave it 4 stars? Can you explain that please?

3 Likes

There’s another option re duvets!
There’s the European one where the duvet cover gets washed every time. There’s what I gather is the American sheet-under-comforter option. I am the European duvet host type, but I just made up the bed for guests with both a sheet and a duvet cover, because the weather here is unpredictable at the moment and the duvet might be too warm - they may want to kick it off and just have the sheet over them. Sheet and duvet cover will both get washed!

Another option, which we use personally sometimes, is for the queen bed to have 2 duvets, one for each person as in Scandinavia and some European countries. I really like this because two people sleeping together don’t necessarily have the same temperature preferences. Plus, it stops one’s partner from nicking all the covers in the night.

But I stick to one for the rentals. I’m not sure that Americans could cope with the two-duvet thing :wink:

1 Like