If someone stays for 2 nights, would it be bad to

Oh, right. I’m jealous.

1 Like

Chrome battery flatlining and going out for more white wine!!!

1 Like

Hang on a minute…I’ll come and join you @Joan :slight_smile: @Ashb24 you can come too…

Haha Thanks. I’ll just live vicariously through you for now. 4 months sober and 6 more to go…

2 Likes

I’m not sure at which point I was rude, except that I was pointing out someone else’s rudeness. I guess that’s also considered rude? Since you’re pleading, at least you could be fair enough to tell this to both of us.

Besides forum not being a competition, it also shouldn’t be the place where people are being insulted and basically called idle and stupid (just with the gloves on) just because they have different practices or available options.I’m not afraid to call a spade a spade, and Helsi was haughty for reasons that simply go beyond me, as I was only polite and patient, and the discussion is rather harmless (washing machines, for God’s sake!). I guess this sort of behaviour doesn’t bother you when it’s not aimed at you.

1 Like

Inna, could you perhaps find something to fill your time that would be more of a contribution to our world than justifying attitudes of derangement on the forum?

2 Likes

Do you prefer to watch a colour wash or whites?

1 Like

Shock horror it’s not just the Germans making washing machines with long cycles either. One of the standard everyday programmes on my Samsung is 2 hours 47 minutes. A lot of it is just soaking.
On top of that machine time, all of my laundry (2 Airbnb rooms plus family) gets dried on an Edwardian pulley airer which takes 24 hours to dry a load! I simply let things take their course whilst I put the spare set of linens on the bed. Where’s the rush?! Meanwhile the electricity for the machine is about 15p and the pulley airer zero. No sweating polar bears on my watch.

1 Like

I just had some lovely German guests who didn’t express any surprise at all when they did their laundy and it only took 25 minutes to wash. Or perhaps they were just being polite, :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh I’ve always wanted a Victorian pulley. I am moving into a Victorian house soon, so I really want to get one.

Is yours an original? And it might seem like a silly question but where are you meant to hang them. I’ve seen some in kitchens and some in the top floor of a house.

I always find it interesting to hear different hosting styles.

I host in my own home and have one open plan living/eating/space with limited storage and drying space, so need to be able turn things around quickly. so that the space guests use doesn’t look like I make my living as a washer women :slight_smile:

Is the pulley what i would call a screel? (I don’t know if I made that up - or maybe it’s a Yorkshirism). If so, I agree @Helsi that it would be a marvellous thing to have, especially in a Victorian house. The last time I saw one (many years ago) it was attached to the kitchen ceiling. It was a high ceiling in a Victorian house so the washing was raised above head height.

Hi @jaquo

Never heard them called a screel but I like the name.

I think it would work well in a kitchen with a high ceiling but mine is an extension so not too high.

I am having difficulty tracking down an original one lots are replica’s but when I find one I want to treat myself.

I love the ones that have the arched wrought iron ends. (Or wrought iron lookalike). Very practical too. Unless you’re cooking a hot curry in which case the laundry would get smelly!

1 Like

Good point I am going to look at putting one in the downstairs hallway to avoid cooking smells.

Yes it was one with arched wrought iron I wanted but I need to do some research as some are Edwardian and I want to get the right style.

It makes such sense, doesn’t it? In Victorian times it’s likely that the kitchen would be the warmest room in the house simply because the cooking facilities were there. Why waste the heat that’s rising to the ceiling when it can be used to dry laundry? Very sensible.

I like the idea of going back to earlier times to save resources. For example, I always try to line-dry laundry in the sun (easy in Florida!) to save electricity for the dryer. The screel is the same - planet-friendly :slight_smile:

1 Like

So do I, somehow clothes seem to smell fresher, but can only do that in the summer and we aren’t known for our sunny climate as you know.

Oh you have inspired me, I will have a log burner in the dining room so could put it there.

1 Like

That’s a great idea. I look forward to you uploading photographs of your Victorian house one day!

It needs quite a lot of work but I will definitely PM some before and after shots.

That will be brilliant. I love the gorgeous range of Victorian houses that are still available. If they still have original features, that’s great. If not, it’s such good fun doing restorations and renovations.