If someone stays for 2 nights, would it be bad to

I also don’t see much point in stressing over a 2 hour wash, I’m doing other things while the machine washes, I do not sit in front of it and watch it spin. :smiley:

1 Like

You don’t? Well I sometimes do that, actually. :rofl: I like the sight. Much more interesting than some shows on German TV.

3 Likes

Absolutely it’s good to host in the way that works for you @Eberhard_Blocher - but many of us have full time jobs and families to look after too, so can’t spend afford to spent 7.5 hours on washing linens, towels etc for our listing.

I get three loads done in three hours and while they are being done, I can clean my place. That works well for me and my lifestyle,

@Joan and I are in the UK by the way :slight_smile:

I have double, or even triple sets of all the linen and towels, so I don’t have to wash everything immediately. Plus family, job and all the other obligations that go with it. As I said, one can do many other things while the clothes are being washed. I personally never perceived it as such a horrible waste of time. The first (and sometimes the only) batch of laundry is being washed while I’m cleaning, this is the first thing I do, start the machine. For some things like kitchen towels, I wait until they pile up and then wash them all in one batch. Same goes for towels sometimes.

Plus, it seems that standard washing machines in continental Europe simply take longer time to wash. All that I ever had did, even the short programms are still relatively long compared to the durations you guys are mentioning. So for many of us this is not a deliberate choice like in Eberhard’s case. But neither it is a chore from hell as some people are presenting it.

1 Like

True dat! :smiley: Was there ever an episode of Wetten, dass…? dealing with doing laundry? Like, how many machines one can spin in 2 hours or something?

1 Like

I have four sets of linens and three sets of towels and dressing gowns too.

What I was saying is that if I used a washing machine that took 2.5 hours a wash it would take me 7.5 hours to wash ONE set of each of these at the end of a stay.

How many kilos can you wash per load? How many ppl can you host? This sounds a bit excessive to me. I don’t really understand this math. I have 2-3 ppl per stay per apartment (I have two), which means double bed linen and single bed linen. That’s one load. Towels are usually washed separately, and I have a lot of them , so I don’t wash them after every stay immediately. Bathroom mats and kitchen towels are also not washed all the time immediately after a stay. I do not spend my days panically loading one batch of laundry after another. It’s really not that bad as you seem to imagine it, if you don’t turn your machine on for really small amounts.

For me it kind of stretches over several days. In the main season I do have on average one machine per day to wash (including our own wash), but I don’t find it so time consuming as I can do plenty of other things while the machine washes. We constantly have laundry lying around our living room, but the duration of the wash has nothing to do with it.

It’s more time consuming to put the laundry on the line, take it down later, fold it, iron what needs to be ironed… Machine washing is the smallest issue.

1 Like

Using 90C is a waste of energy, even hospitals and professional laundry services do not use that anymore.
60C is already enough to kill everything, often they use 70C just to be sure.

Bacteria is already killed at 30C, Fungus need 60C. But if you have a fungus problem in your bedding, you have some worse problems in your rental than the washing cycle of your bedding.

Yes, this is because of the high taxes on energy, and focus on energy labels on cunsumer products. Longer cycles use less energy, so beter energy label.
That is why ECO programms take up for hours, they heat up at a slower rate.

3 Likes

Exactly, plus you’re unecessarily destroy the fabric. I wash on 40 or 60, depending what kind of clothes it is. I usually do linens and towels on 60, but not always.

Sorry @Inna

But I have already tried to explain the maths on this twice already in this thread. But I will try for a third time.

@Eberhard_Blocher says it takes him 2.5 hours to do a wash.

If I was using a 2.5 hours wash as I need to do 3 washes for my listing it would therefore take 7.5 hours.

I don’t use kilo’s and don’t know how many I can wash per load.

As I have already mentioned I do one wash for linens, one for towels and one for dressing gowns + bath mats.

I do not spend my days panicking, as I mentioned in an earlier thread it is an easy process. Three washes go in while I clean the listing and I prepare the room with new linens, towels etc.

The washing comes out and dries and gets put away. Simple.

Takes about 2.5 hours and it’s done. I wouldn’t use a 95c. It’s not good for the fabrics.

Hope that helps you understand the maths :slight_smile:

That’s not true @Chris. In the UK we have 30c washes that take 15 or 35 minutes.

Yes, and I’m explaining again that you don’t have to do this in a single day, as you agreed at some point as well. So those 7.5 hours are stretched over several days. I mean, some of us are “forced” to wash in this way, and in the same way we manage to find time for it, so would you. No need to be dramatic and talk about 7.5 hours, as they were spent washing in a row, every day. And how you wouldn’t find time for it with (gasp!) family and full-time job. People from Germany, Croatia, Austria and other countries still manage to have families, work and host, despite having horrible 2.5 hours long washing cycle.

Plus, please do not mix up issues here. If you’re arguing with Eberhard about his insistence that things have to be washed for 2.5 hours and on 90 degrees, then address him. I was never advocating something like that. I’m just explaining that there’s not much choice for most of us and that at the end of the day, it is really not a big deal.

I never said you were panicking, but that WE are not panicking and spending days in front of the washing machine.

Also, you can express the load in pounds, I’m happy to use a unit converter or do a simple math.

1 Like

Yes, but the UK is not really EU. :smile:
You drive on the wrong side of the road, drink your beer warm, etc etc.

2 Likes

Come on Helsi! Get explaining!

1 Like

@Eberhard_Blocher has a valid point in one of his posts about the laundry being cleaner if allowed to soak/wash longer. My favorite Oxyclean recommends 6 hours of soaking for difficult to remove stains.

On the other side of that I use the quickest wash possible for sheets, towels, etc.

However I use the 2hr 30 min sanitizer mode on my Bosch dishwasher. I’m not sure why. I guess it makes me feel better if occasionally one of my dogs sneaks a snack out of a plate I walked away from on the coffee table. (I don’t have to worry about eating after the dog, there is nothing left after he sneaks a snack)

Making this statement into a wall stencil to put above my headboard.

3 Likes

@Joan
@Ashb24
@jaquo
@KKC

I feel so much better to know I am in good company. I’ve invested so much time & effort in keeping my rentals in repair, clean & updated by the time I get to the condo I live in, I’m finished. My poor home needs cleaning & TLC. I was telling a friend that I am going to have to break down and hire someone to clean my house and it has to be someone who won’t tell anyone else how bad it is.

6 Likes

I am sure you all are rather sick of me quoting the biologist-mom cleaning guru at stopthestomachflu.com/does-clean-laundry-have-germs, but I try to follow her laundry guidance, especially after reading her scary test results on residential washing machines! Bleach for the whites and Lysol disinfecting rinse right in the washer with detergent for color, everything washed and dried hot. If it doesn’t survive, it’s not meant to be in my Airbnb.

I’m lucky; George the Cat sits and watches the spin, whilst I do other things. Meanwhile Sophie, Grande Duchess of Guston, preens her reflection in the fridge door. “Me? Laundry? Huh. And give me more biscuits whilst you’re at it”.

3 Likes

I think George is essential here! :heart_eyes: I don’t know how you would make it otherwise, without his condescending watchful eye!