I would like to take a poll on check in/check out times

The beauty of Airbnb is the fact that every listing is personal. Asking for an early check-out and providing an early check-in could easily be part of your “brand” - you’ll be the early bird Airbnb.

(my brand is; soup nazi married to nicest guy you ever met Airbnb.)

That said, I think you will lose a lot of bookings by asking for a 9:00 am check-out, speaking from my own observation of the typical Airbnb guest.

If you do go down this road, I hope you are in my area and let me know, because I will send all the guests who pester me for an early check-in your way.

We tend to get people who want to check in early, arrive later than they think they will and then leave at the last possible minute.

Personally, I think you’d be limiting yourself.

There is no way on this planet that I would book a rental with a 9:00 a.m. check-out. Never going to happen. We offer a noon check-out partly because it suits us and partly because I’ve noticed most Airbnb guests are in their 20’s and 30’s and have zero interest in getting in and out early.

About twice a month we get retired or semi-retired people from the suburbs of Boston who are coming to attend an event, or people traveling for the first time with small children who need and want to check in early. We do all we can to discourage them from booking with us - our listings are not right for their needs.

If yours is - there might be a whole untapped market there and you would have it mostly to yourself.

That’s the earliest check-out time I’ve ever heard of.

The other thing is - when people want to check in early, I see it as a red flag. Why are they so concerned with getting to their lodgings early? We’re not a destination Airbnb, I do not expect people to come to our listings in order to hang out at our house. We’re a place for them to sleep, shower, eat, and relax a bit after their activities. I am always slightly suspicious of people who want to be in the house for the afternoon. That’s not what traveling is for.

Anyway, that’s my two cents.

1 Like

I agree. Option B.

That’s the one that is most likely to make you money.

Funny you said that. I was thinking of naming it something with Early Bird if I decide to even go that route with check in. I agree that there is a niche for everyone, as long as the market exists.

I checked out the times for activies in my area so I know there are plenty of tourists who are out and about early:

• Ziplining tours begin at 8 a.m.
  • Kayaking/white water rafting 8 a.m.
  • Golf courses open at 7 a.m - 8 a.m.
  • Local state park opens at 8:30
  • other hiking opens at 8 a.m.
  • Water skiing/wake boarding begins at 9 a.m.
  • Equestrian tournanments (many begin at 8 a.m.)

I may be able to find a niche with the people coming to the Equestrian Center. A lot of those people are out very early in the morning and then spend the majority of their day there. But that will depend on if the participants usually travel as a family unit, or just as couples. My next Equestrian group is coming for 6 days over Labor Day weekend, but it is a group of 6 with the participants being teenagers.

Nice description of your brand Stephanie_Borns! I like it, :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely Option B, Cabinhost. I wouldn’t care what time we checked in … however, I do see your point about avtive tourists (I am not one) who might want to get going early with all these sporty activities … shudder!

1 Like

Malaga - thank you for taking the poll.

I think I am up to 14 for option B, and 2 for option A! - Lol!

I agree - I’m definitely an option B person!

1 Like

Option B here as well!

1 Like

yeah - the thing is, couples are often made up of one person who wants to get up and do that stuff and one who does not.

But the thing that I keep returning to in my head is this: it’s always nice to have the option to run late when you’re on vacation but it’s rarely important to arrive early.

I think a 9;00 a.m. check-out makes a holiday into a work day. Even if I planned to leave the place at 6:00 a.m., I still wouldn’t book it.

1 Like

Any travel is fraught with delays and hold ups. I’ve had guests who have told me that they arrive at Miami Airport at 3pm so they will be here by 3.30. No they won’t! If they are travelling from abroad they don’t realise how long the immigration queues can be - not to mention the dreaded luggage carousel! Then it’s a twenty five minute drive - or much longer depending on the traffic, especially if there has been a wreck (often happens). Flight delays happen all the time.

If they are driving there can be traffic delays. Getting a hire car can take anything between 5 and 55 minutes. Planes are delayed. For guests who are driving, flat tyres happen, breakdowns happen - or maybe they just found a great place to stop and have lunch and sightsee. They are on vacation after all :slight_smile:

So sorry @cabinhost - I took over your topic for a rant :slight_smile:

1 Like

No apologies! - ha!

I don’t expect to need to meet the guests with the new place. They can decide on if the checkout time works. Many of these guests are only driving by car no more than an hour and a half hour away…no flights…nothing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooooh, I want to rant, but, it’s a poll! Took me a day to realize. (Rant: I get 99.9% people driving but there is a time zone change from the east and from the west during daylight savings time. Half of my guests don’t factor this in. end rant)

2 Likes

You can go off and rant and include the time change. That is interesting. Just end your rant with the poll amount to bring it back to topic…lol.

I am now trying to decide how to set my minimum week stays over Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. I am comparing Houston, Georgia, and Florida public school calendars. Is Houston central time zone??

1 Like

Yes. And unlike Arizona they are on Daylight Savings Time. LOL.

1 Like

Ok…so just do my regular savings time math I take it. I am Eastern Standard in NC.

I have all the calendars pulled out for all three states and their school breaks…decisions, decisions…:slight_smile:

1 Like