I will be checking in at 12:00

Nothing. I have said here several times (so long-standing members please forgive the repetition) that one of my favourite ever guests was the Taj Mahal.

1 Like

My first booking on booking.com was a group of Russians from St Petersburg.
When they left it seemed like the modem had been tampered with and the property was a huge mess worst guests ever in one year of intensive hosting.
Then 4 weeks after their departure my airbnb account was hacked… by someone in St Petersburg. They turned all the settings to same day instant booking and put two fake houses on my site. They copied my email etc. see the other thread about the hack!
And I looked up the guest, saw that she’s a software genius works for Wargaming.net (has been mentioned in the news in relation with IRA troll factory).
Coincidence?

I have closed down my booking.com account.

1 Like

Oh dear, you really do seem to have had a real run of bad luck with problem guests in the year you have been hosting @lililou1

What sort of vetting process do you have in place to ensure there is a good fit?

@Helsi - if I remember from other threads (and forgive me @lililou1 if I’ve got this wrong) she is a remote host who uses a property manager who lives an hour away from the rental. Maybe it’s the facelessness of the experience that is attracting these bad guests? Perhaps the lack of a personal touch?

Because she seems to have one bad guest after another, I’d be wondering if the co-host situation needs to change. The manager isn’t on the spot to keep an eye on the place or the guests. I know that some experienced hosts do a great job hosting remotely but it needs a lot of great organisation and a reliable and conscientious co-host.

No not really I’m just sharing every incident with you!

These are outliers I have to admit 90% guests are fantastic. Just welcomed a lovely family this morning such nice people. Most people are like that!

1 Like

absolutely right, my dream is to move nearby to my airbnbs and manage them myself it will make it a thousand percent easier to do everything properly.

2 Likes

I agree demanding the picture is maybe invasive. But I also agree that it’s the fact that the guest is already not complying with a simple request, that would make me put up a red flag.

Coming from someone who just got photo-blacked-out redacted passport info that they legally were required to give me.

1 Like

Ditto! Our guests are given the door code so they can let themselves in - this “trust” seems to get everything off to the positive, welcoming start we want. Inside their lodging I leave a welcome letter indicating that we will personally welcome them later on after they settle in (and that I will text them first), but to call if they have any questions.

We change the door code to the arriving guests cell phone number (the last 4 digits) each and every time. I believe this conveys a sense of security to the guests that their belongings will be safe and an aspect of customizing this vacation experience for them alone. It is no bother, takes just a minute or so to change the code.

1 Like