I want to post this review - The guests still have 3 more hell days in store

That’s so funny. I was tempted to say this very thing about one of my last guests because I didn’t want to get into the silly details of what this guy did wrong. And he ticked off each box in the list of things that bug me:

He asked for an early arrival, I agreed and he then showed up nearly an hour earlier than our agreed upon early arrival . He wore tons of cologne. He dropped wet towels on the carpet. He fried eggs several times and did not clean the stovetop. He also left a stack of empty beer bottles in a prominent spot near the living room.

Soooooo, he actually would do much better at a Motel6 where he could be a total slob–but not be able to fry eggs! lol

I left him a very brief public review mentioning he needed to pay closer attention to his cleaning and to read the house rules and full description of a listing. I gave him a thumbs up. Later, I got a very nice private message of apology and a promise to be more thoughtful in the future. I liked that.

4 Likes

Why is it okay to abuse the cleaning staff at Motel 6?

Omg here you go again. Where did I mention abuse? This guy’s behavior wouldn’t fall into that category at Motel6 with it’s barebones, hose-down rooms. He could drop wet towels anywhere and come and go whenever he liked without having to be tidy, and wear tons of cologne.

Of course I’m cheaper than Motel6 AND I offer lots of amenities he wouldn’t have.

7 Likes

Many hosts here who believe their guests to be slobs say that they are better suited to hotels or motels. I don’t believe that it’s any more reasonable to expect motel housekeepers to pick wet towels and beer bottles up off the floor than it is to expect such from Airbnb hosts.

2 Likes

Another example of hosts having different expectations. :slight_smile:

He sounds like a poor guest but I don’t mind early arrival if it’s possible. If it isn’t and they arrive anyway, I don’t let them in if the place isn’t ready.

I can imagine that the cologne would be annoying, especially in a shared space. But although I’m quite happy to tell guests to cool it if they are having noisy sex or whatever, I would know where to start telling a guest shower their cologne away. But ours isn’t shared, so it doesn’t matter.

I always clean the stovetop after all guests and although I sigh quite a lot if it has splatters of fat, I simply sigh a bit more and clean it. Because of the stove and the beer bottles, I’d mention, as you did, that he could do with improving his departure routine as regards cleaning.

I totally LOVE that the guest sent you a message! You have trained a guest - all hosts should thank you :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You know I love you my dear, but this is going way beyond what guests deserve. We are not their nannies!

Calling any host at 2:30 in the morning for anything other than a life or death emergency is totally abusive and must not be allowed to stand without comment.

I have never been a fan of saying better suited to a hotel just because that is so vague.

Peanut needs to give the gory details in the review. Hang in there! Two more nights!

8 Likes

You’re amaaa-zing! …a woman of many talents!

2 Likes

lol…thanks for the comments. We actually hit it off just fine. I cooked him dinner one night. Not wanting to be a nag, I didn’t want to say anything when he was here. I was hoping he’d shape up. I’ve noticed that some guests mid-stay will finally take the time to read the listing description, rules, etc. and their behavior changes.

You said your space is not shared. Then why are you cleaning the stove for these people?

3 Likes

Motels have a cleaning staff. It’s what they do. Scoop up the junk and haul it out. I don’t have a cleaning staff. It’s just moi and I don’t charge motel prices.

5 Likes

Motel housekeepers make pathetically low wages and are expected to clean many rooms in a short period of time. Their job is to remove linens to launder, dust, scrub, etc. Their job is not to clean up personal messes after slobs. I would no more expect to be cleaned up after in a motel than I would in my home.

2 Likes

I always have to even if it hasn’t been used. It’s a tiny kitchen so it usually has crumbs or drops of coffee or something. It’s also old (1950s?) so I look after it carefully :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I love you.

That is all.

1 Like

Do, some cash, some cold hard cash,
Re, the guy who stayed last night,
Mi, the one who does the work,
Fa, where I wish Ray would go
So, repairing torn duvets
La, dee da I sang all day
Ti, he drank up all my tea,
But I do it for the dough, dough, dough, dough.

That’s it, no more encores.

28 Likes

True talents here! I thought you were a history teacher! :grin:

2 Likes

@KKC wish I could multiple Like your song posts!

4 Likes

Saaaame. I’ve used up all my hearts for the next 17 hours. You all have been too funny and clever today.

4 Likes

I’m going to need more than funny and clever tomorrow. She’s demanding a full refund. They left all doors open so moths and mosquitoes have filled the place and she’s demanding that I pay for her hotel.

1 Like

Oh dear god. Get Airbnb on the phone ASAP and open a case before she does. This is ridiculous. After abusing you for days she wants a full refund??!! Laughable and not happening. She won’t get a refund! Can you get her out for the remainder of her stay? Tell her to cancel. You will not be paying for her hotel.

What an absolute nightmare. You poor thing.

6 Likes

I’ve never had a bad experience but I think I would say “get out of my house now.” Give them whatever refund they are entitled to and get them out.

1 Like

I disagree. I would not capitulate to this abuser. She should stand up to her. Get her out and refuse to refund a damn penny. Peanut has been abused enough.

Call Airbnb now and get them to talk to the guest so you don’t have to. Get them out,but don’t pay them to be a**holes.

10 Likes