I want to post this review - The guests still have 3 more hell days in store

Como, that’s not easy to do as they have to upload ID. They would have to travel under a family member or friend.

As it is a they there is at least one other person who can set up an account.

I have not tried it myself but have seen mention that people who had deleted their account and rejoined ask how they could get their old reviews back, obviously they had good reviews.

If AirBnB do cross check for past accounts I have never come across mention of it. Begs the question if they could, spammers seem to have no issue setting up fake listings.

1 Like

That is very helpful, thank you. I will use it verbatim.:slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your considered response. I feel so supported and encouraged by all of the helpful feedback. You’ve taught me 4 new things in your response already. Much appreciation!:slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was gentle enough. Really good coaching. I’m not sure if you’ve had problems with milk bags like I have in the past, where some non Canadians can’t figure out how to get the milk out? That’s why I ‘opened’ it…So they could just wake up and pour. Thanks for tak8j the time to post your advice!:slight_smile:

1 Like

This is soooo good!! I am learning a lot. I hope you haven’t had to write many bad reviews! But you are good at it! From this forum, I’ve learned to ‘focus on managing their stay’, be on the look out for ‘bargain basement’ hunters who ask for extras before arriving, to keep emotions out of reviews, and to speak to my own experience and no ‘cases’ to be mentioned. Thank you to you and all for the truly helpful feedback!

3 Likes

Right. Discount seekers are a red flag. If they don’t respect your price then they won’t respect your place. This is not a Marrakech bazaar. It is your home.

I just decline them. I say, sorry, my place is priced fairly for the area, season and amenities. I don’t offer discounts.

7 Likes

Hi @Peanut, I understand your frustration, I experienced some of your issues, like guest being unappreciative, unfriendly, complain about very minor issues, stain towels, keep lots of lights on when they not there (I discovered a few time when I change sheets and towels). I think these issues are common in hospitality, I was not happy when I first encountered each issue, but when I start to see these repeating, I start to learn it is part of the business. And we should think more of other good guests and appreciate them being nice.

Your frustration may not come from one problem you have with the guest, it must be all problems together making you feel this guest is really bad (and she is!). But the review is too long and pointed out a few minor issues (when considered individually, they are not really an issue). I suggest (like many have suggested) you make it shorter and keep it professional, for example, you must point out your blind was damaged by her (if she refused to pay), and you can make some general comments about her bad attitude. In that way, it may benefit you more (because future guest can click on your previous guest photo when they leave a review, and the future guest will be able to see what you write down for previous guest, though I believe not many people would do that).

I’m taking a deep breath, removing wet towels from all the furniture when they leave, answering last night’s 230 am call for me to turn up air conditioner and bring fans … ( yup!) even though I showed them twice how to adjust the simple thermostat and I showed where both fans and electric heaters are kept…I’m singing Sound of Music songs and drinking green tea. And learning a great deal about how truly dislikeable some people can really be. But the upside is it all led me to this awesome group. Happy Saturday! I can hang on til Monday!:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi @Peanut

The only 2 a.m. calls you should answer is for genuine emergencies such as the house is on fire :slight_smile:

Others ignore until your ‘working hours’

4 Likes

And even then, they should contact the emergency services first. What is the host going to do about it? I leave my phone in the kitchen when I go to bed - with the ringer off. But what I’d really like to know from @Peanut is what the guests have to say about it all?

1 Like

Between 13 people, not one of them could figure out how to follow instruction of adjusting thermostat or locating the fans? Or did the guest demand you come right over?

Do you live next door? Also, what were the “cakes” you bought? Are those some sort of pastries or muffins? Do you advertise that breakast is included, or was the milk and cakes complimenatry stuff?

2% milk that I kindly had opened,
The guest would be grateful I surely was hoping
Expired store cakes tied up with strings
These are a few of my least favorite things

Using hot water with so many showers,
I tried to fix it, done all in my powers,
Yet late in the night again my phone still rings,
These are a few of my least favorite things.

Turn down the AC to use all the blankets,
This is as annoying as an airbnb stay gets,
Guests who review me and my stars get dings
These are a few of my least favorite things.

When the guest bites, when their stay stings
When I’m feeling sad
I simply remember my forum friends’ posts
And then I don’t feel so bad.

33 Likes

Now I’m going to have this song stuck in my head all day. :neutral_face:

6 Likes

Me too but that’s fine because your version is great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am 4 stars going on 5 stars, innocent as a rose,
Ungrateful guests,
Late night pests,
What do I know of those?

Totally unprepared am I
To face a world of stays
Timid and shy and scared am I
To have guests for many days.

I need someone
Older and wiser
Telling me what to do
You are 5 stars,
I’ll depend on you

@Peanut will be singing “So Long, Farewell” in 2 more days and then the hills will be alive with the sound of music after she’s climbed this mountain. How do you solve a problem like these guests?

21 Likes

KIKC makes some good points, though, about paring it down to “the bottom line”: The guest was a pain in the rear–avoid at all costs! As a host it’s all I’d need to see. I don’t need the details.

The anecdotal long version will be good to show the guest and I suppose to Air if they get involved, which they probably won’t.

I guess this goes back to how each host perceives the same behavior from guests. Some can think a guest was “demanding” just for inquiring about early check in and late check out. While others reserve the word “demanding” for truly demanding guests.

I just wouldn’t feel informed enough to reject a guest baed on a few adjectives and not knowing anything about what happened.

Edited to add: Kind of along the lines of leaving a review that says “guest is better suited to stay in a hotel.” - It doesn’t tell me anything except that the host disliked the guest’s behavior. But is it enough for me to reject a booking? Maybe the host fell short on some things…

2 Likes

Although I believe the original poster’s review was focused too much on what the host did for the guest and the host’s feelings about the guest, I think details should be included in a review. As we’ve seen here some hosts will be driven crazy by guest behaviors that other hosts wouldn’t notice. Many of the original poster’s complaints wouldn’t bother me. I check the expiration dates on food and don’t give guests expired food. I have a tankless water heater, so running out of hot water is something I don’t have to worry about. Although I turn off lights when I leave a room; I don’t get worked up about guests leaving lights on. I don’t expect guests to say thank you or express gratitude in any way. An Airbnb stay is a financial transaction. It’s nice if guests are appreciative, but they are no more obligated to thank me than I am to thank them. When I write reviews I always include it if the guests were nice to our dogs. This is valuable information to pet owners. It wouldn’t matter to hosts who don’t have pets.

3 Likes

More please, I’m loving this :slight_smile:[quote=“EllenN, post:39, topic:14662”]
It’s nice if guests are appreciative, but they are no more obligated to thank me than I am to thank them
[/quote]

I agree with your post entirely (except we don’t have dogs). And I do think that the host has more reason to thank the guest than vice versa. Which isn’t to say that I don’t appreciate a polite guest - I do enormously - but as you say, it’s a business transaction and the guest is the customer. I’m grateful to them for their business.

3 Likes