I want to crawl under a rock

I probably wouldn’t stay. (And I’m a cat lover). I expect attention to detail from a host and that’s a pretty :poop:-y detail to overlook. It would make me wonder what else could be in store.

I’d wondered that too.

1 Like

#ShameRock should be trending on Twitter in 5, 4, 3, …

I have a Bengal and they “anger pee” when upset or feel neglected. I was have a very angry fight with my ex and she didn’t like it at all, stood on the back of a couch and peed while howling.

Luckily for her, the couch was destined for “free by the curb” pickup, so it didn’t matter. But she’d pee on my bed if particularly upset. That hasn’t happened in ages, but it was always a stress/pissed/spite thing. I cater to her better these days! :cat:

Oh, if only the ex were in closer proximity and I could train Bella…

My world is held down now by museum putty.

Right?

I find random bits of clothing in Bella’s water dish. You’d get 5* from me, too.

Yes, often. Pic for #cattax

Really? Bella sneaks in like a furry little ninja and tries to hide under the bed. She’s a sucker for the Greenies Pill Pockets so I lure her out that way. It’s a process with cats…

10 Likes

Me too. Especially if “cat on premises” was disclosed prior to my arrival. When you stay in a property with pets, you must expect the 3-Ps of pet ownership: pee, poop & puke.

If my tiny dogs can sneak in a room or out the door, I’m sure a stealth cat can.

2 Likes

Why isn’t the door closed to keep her out?

1 Like

Your cat may be quite ill, so schedule the vet asap. Good luck with that part.
The only way to go is a total refund and throw in extras like gift basket, a free dinner at a good spot, etc. You will be quite lucky if they don’t knock off stars.
Update your process to prevent all possible cat entry. Lesson learned.

You know, 30 minutes is a really long time (a lifetime really) to sit in a room with cat poop in it and not say anything. Why wait? It’s not like you wouldn’t notice right away, even if the comforter was cat poop brown, it carries a strong scent.

I think the guest didn’t close his door all the way and while he was in the bathroom the cat entered and did the deed. That’s how it takes 30 min to report it.

Regardless, it wouldn’t affect your rating from me. You changing the bedding is good enough. And I will always accept free wine but I wouldn’t need a refund. I might even thank you for supplying me with a funny story to tell (people really don’t appreciate the givers of funny stories enough).

4 Likes

I imagine that at some point the guest is in charge of the door and we all know how reliable guests can be.

1 Like

Ah, good point. I’d assumed that this rental was a separate space (probably because the OP said that the guest messaged) but if it was a single room then yes, thirty minutes is a long time to stay in the same room as cat :poop:.

Often I have guests who like to leave the apartments’ front doors open to make the most of the fresh, warm Florida breezes and I have to ask them not to do so because our two ‘community cats’ would be inside like a shot.

3 Likes

I realize I am likely in the minority here, but cats aren’t my thing. I can respect, but it’s a hard pass for me.

My problem for you kitty experts is this:

my neighbor’s bold cat has taken to hanging out in my STR backyard. I really don’t mind as I haven’t found any stinky poop piles and I don’t leave patio cushions out to get haired up. I also assume s/he is getting after things I may not want in the yard.

The issue is s/he tries to come in all the time and if I try to shoo it, it just comes closer. I DO NOT want my guests thinking it’s ours or letting it in or feeding it. But, I’m hesitant to say anything (just one more rule). Do I leave kitty alone? Post a sign? Why is s/he here? She’s been next door for 2 years but these visits are new.

Our problems with the community cats started when two guys staying in one of the apartments fell in love with the cats and started feeding them tuna. Human-grade tuna, not cheap stuff. The cats decided that our place was some sort of feline heaven and started hanging around a lot more.

So now I mention it to guests during the house tour, telling it as an amusing little anecdote about life here. Then ask them please not to feed the cats or let them in - because ‘they’re not domesticated really, so who knows what they might do?’ This tends to work.

2 Likes

Cats aren’t my thing, either. The only reason I have a cat is for much the same reason you have a cat coming around- mine was a stray in the neighborhood, fending for herself, for about 2 years until she decided my outdoor patio cushions were quite comfortable and that this was her new home.

No amount of shooing her off, or even the dog joining in the eviction process worked. She’d be right back sleeping on those cushions every morning when I got up.

Then she left me a present on the terrace of a big dead Norwegian rat. So I decided to let her stay and she’s really decimated the rodent population around here.

She’s still an outdoor cat, although I don’t care if she wanders into the house. I don’t do litter boxes- I think they’re revolting- she does her business outside somewhere- I’ve never run across it, so I assume she goes outside of my yard.

Cats are only momentarily shoo-able. Unlike dogs, they couldn’t care less if you are mad at them. But spraying her with a hose, or a spray bottle full of vinegar, might discourage your interloper from coming around.

1 Like

Good idea. I know someone who uses a spray bottle of water to manage her own cats. Some years ago, I had problems with squirrels pinching mangos from our trees. So I got one of those super-squirty things that kids play with in the pool. That could be worth a try too.

1 Like

@aelilya I was so in denial about having a cat that I never even named her. Then a guest asked me what the cat’s name was, so I explained the story of how she came to be here and how I’m actually not a cat lover.

When I went out shortly afterwards, upon my return, my guest told me he had named the cat and what her name now was. Fine with me- I still just call her kitty.

1 Like

I had a toy poodle who would tip over the little trash cans if we were gone too long.

2 Likes

That’s really funny, lol.
I grew up with a Samoyed-mix that would go and unmake the beds anytime we left the house without him. He didn’t cause any damage. He would just get up there and pull the covers back and kick the pillows off the beds, one at a time, just throwing a tantrum. (We spied on him a couple of times).

2 Likes

I love your answer. A good sense of humor goes a long way in these situations. And we really are in this together, aren’t we? The good news is that most people who bother to come to an Airbnb are pretty chill to begin with.

4 Likes

Very amusing. Though I want to point out that really, shame is a choice. I challenge you to NOT hide under a rock and feel shame. This is an issue that is not really foreseen / expected. Things happen. You should feel no more shame over this than the hot water tank exploding. Yes you could have hired a plumber to check the hot water tank each month, but is this reasonable? No, so the cat pooped, and we can and should smile. If it happens a lot, there could be some shame if you don’t sort something out, but ONCE? Come now. Laugh!

ALSO, the fixing of a problem promptly will often be better than if it never happened. Time and again in my old software company, we would cause our clients no end of drama with our bugs. Yet because we were so quick to fix them, and said sorry, and were very nice… the clients were so happy. They were happy we fixed their problem, that they overlooked that we caused it. Had we no bugs, the customers would be less happy than if we fixed they very fast with smiles, and tried our best.

So where you say rocks and shame and woe and so on… no, you may well get a better review if you handle it right, than if there was no poop in the first place.

So be sorry for them, but also be clear it’s not common, and you will do your utmost to fix it promptly, and maybe some (small) discount for the issue. Don’t go too large… it’s not the end of the world. I’d maybe refund $100 at very most, perhaps $50 would be fair if you fix super quick. They would be happy I am sure. So long as they don’t have to sleep in poop, you fixing it so quick will be an amusing dinner story about the airbnb they stayed in where the cat pooped the bed. You are giving them a gift here… no… really!

The world has too much shame. It’s just not helpful. Laughing but genuine empathy is all you need. Don’t even THINK about hiding under rocks and being mortified. This event is no more ‘bad’ than accidentally answering the door to the Fedex guy topless, or going into your interview with spinach in your teeth. Sometimes you just gotta laugh… and if you do, you will probably get that amazing job because of the spinach (your response), marry the cute fedex guy and get a FIVE STAR review from your guest with the poop bed. Believe it and it will be true! Well, some of them lol

3 Likes

Hahahaaaaa hahaaaa. The door is closed. Have you ever had a cat? I mean seriously. I’m laughing so hard because they are furry little sneaky ninjas and get out or in or around or up…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Ditto

Probably found mice/rats/something smelly and wonderful in your yard. She wants in simply because she’s a cat and perhaps one of your guests let her in once and it smelled new and funky and like something she wants more of. Or just because a door is closed. And cats hate that.

Post a cute sign by the back door “Cat isn’t ours, please don’t feed or let in the house. Pat at your own risk.”

Good kitty!

1 Like

As everyone (mostly) has said, sympathy and you dealt well & promptly with the unforeseen ‘disaster’. It could have been a lot worse!! In my former career I worked for a national animal charity & specislised in cats ‘behaving badly’ consultations. If the poop was 'normal’looking and its unlikely that illness is the cause. Far more likely is that the cat, as some one else mentioned, may be stressed by the comings and goings or maybe something else going on & that has disturbed their normal toileting. It can also be a marking of territory! So cat might be saying- oy! This room is mine. If its not a one off & there is more pooping in places never used before, then seriously look at what stress puddytat might be under. It could be a whole host of things,not necessarily the guests… e.g. a new cat invading the territory, other family stress /change happening at home. Etc. Besides seeing how stresses can be reduced, help on that front can also be in the form of a plug in spray with artificial cat pheromones, which help the cat feel chilled & the corridor to guest rooms a happy place! Easily bought in the Uk sure you can in other countries. Works well for stressed dogs too. Hope that helps!

3 Likes

With you on that one. Especially when you see one in a corner of the kitchen.

I just don’t get allowing an animal to defecate inside a house. The same goes for all the “war stories” in this topic of how and where folks cats/dogs have pissed or shat on their furniture/belongings, for whatever reason.

Would it be acceptable, if round for dinner, for me to go and have a shit in the cat’s litter tray because I couldn’t be arsed finding a loo…?

I think I’ll stop now :rofl:

JF

2 Likes