Hurricane Matthew - keep safe!

Whereabouts in Florida? The storm has already passed Fort Lauderdale. There should be no storm issues at all in Florida by Sunday unless it stalls.

1 Like

The guests actually are from Ft. Lauderdale :slight_smile:

But the rep. said if roads are bad or people flying in from CA canā€™t make it (because Atlanta airport wonā€™t fly them) then all my guests can cancel :rage:

I donā€™t fly hardly at all. Any idea if someone arriving from CA to Atlanta will encounter flights not going out due to back up of east coast hurricanes??

Thanks for the response.

But rep. seemed to say road conditions would be cause also. I would have to map out the interstate from Ft. Lauderdale to hereā€¦and I know my guests really want to take the vacation they planned. But I can completely see someone having their home destroyed canceling. And I understand that, but also my rental is not chump change going into a rainy day fundā€¦lol.

The latest news is that Fort Lauderdale Airport (and in fact all transit) will be functioning as normal tomorrow morning.

Atlanta is unlikely to be affected.

1 Like

Yupā€¦same in Hawaiiā€¦if their flights are affected, even if itā€™s a different part of the state. Even if it never gets here. If we are out on a hurricane warningā€¦Refund and cancellation.

1 Like

Thank you @jaquo and @konacoconutz. My seething has calmed down to only a simmerā€¦

But that is only for this time. Does anyone else recall an old extenuating circumstance that only included the place of destination?? Itā€™s possible I made this up in my ā€œsweet dreamsā€ - but I could have sworn that a shut down in the Iceland airport did not cause me to refundā€¦

1 Like

We are not out on a hurricane warning at all. But air says if our guests or other members of the group cannot make it then we have to refund.

1 Like

Yup, they got us coming and going.

thanks for the reply. no, iā€™m not getting any of the money. under the circumstances, i thought it was wrong to profit from someoneā€™s misfortune. if airbnb had sent me the money, i would have sent them a special offer of $10 for their future booking.
but as it was, someone booked immediately the dates were reopened, for the same length of stay, so i was nothing out of pocket over this. i love it!

2 Likes

atlanta is indeed affected. not by weather, but by the hordes of travellers fleeing the storm, by car and by plane. flights have been cancelled, thereā€™s horrible traffic on i-75, i-85 and i-95, also i-16 and i-20.

3 Likes

Arghā€¦ set up a page to rent a room for hurricane evacuee guests. I was sure I had instant book turned off.

Just received a notification that Jimmy is coming today for two days with his girlfriend and her mentally ill son. They vape, but will only do it outside.

1- my place is no kids.
2- my place is no smoking. How do you smoke outside during a category 4 hurricane?
3- the biggest hurricane in over 100 years is coming tomorrow. It is doubtful that anyone will be going anywhere in two days.

I responded: "Iā€™m sorry, but there is no smoking on the property."
One minute later, he replies: "Not even outside?"
Smoke outside? Seriously? What part of 140 mph wind does he not understand?
I didnā€™t answer and four minutes later he responds: ā€œOK.ā€

Tried to cancel but it says I am too late and must call, so have been on hold for over 15 minutes.

2 Likes

Urgent message from The Weather Channel I did not know about the seriousness of Hurricane Matthew until watching this video. Be safe fellow hostsā€¦

Edit: one more video clipā€¦ by Shep Smith

1 Like

Airbnb has resolved the matter. The reservation was cancelled without penalty. hooray!

3 Likes

is @Robert_Dudley ok? You are right in the impact zone. Hope you guys survive unscathed. :frowning:

wish I could double like. My 11 year old will find this photo particularly charming!

Thinking about you all this morning. Please let us hear from you when convenient!!

Yeah, they advertising for guests with ā€œlive thereā€.

They should start a campaign for hosts called: ā€œBend over and grab your anklesā€. :unamused:

2 Likes

I just started a new thread. Yes, the extenuating circumstances used to only cover the destination.

1 Like

We are in Charleston, SC and waiting. I had three couples booked this weekend but i sent them a mail Wednesday and told them i would agree to a full refund. Hopefully Karma will come back somewhere else.

5 Likes

Itā€™s not too bad all things considered. So you got no storm surge? We get lots of dire warnings about Hawaii hurricane situations. its difficult to predict exactly what they will do.

Now what about your condos? Are those damaged? Is that your condo in the pic?

2 Likes